Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 06:29 PM

36 posts, read 112,173 times

Advertisements

We have to replace our range hood with a new hood venting to the outside. It is currently a microwave with a fan circulating back to the kitchen.

Where is the best place to get one with installation.

What do we expect to pay.

Our home in in Clayton area.

Thank for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 08:08 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,843,375 times
Any of the home stores will have what you need. Is your range hood going to on an exterior wall? If not, it makes routing the vent significantly more difficult. Range hoods vary greatly in quality from $50 to $5000. Depends on what you want. A decent venting hood will probably run you $150 for materials.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:25 AM

578 posts, read 3,081,938 times
If you are replacing your stove as well you can potentially install a DOWNDRAFT model easier, assuming you don't have easy access to an outside wall. It looks like that's what the previous owners of my house did. There's no outside vent for the over-the-stove microwave so it just recirculates. So they opted for a downdraft installation which vents through he floor, into the crawlspace, then to the outside. It was apparently a LOT easier to drill a hole in the floor itself and missing all joists. Note that downdrafts don't work as well as an over-the-stove solution. They do a pretty good job, and it's neat to watch, but not a super great job.

I'm not sure how you'd install an over-the-stove on an inside wall due to the joists for the walls. But I'm sure there's a way. Maybe run the venting down the inside of the wall, then pop back out of the wall under the stove, then through the floor.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:46 AM

275 posts, read 1,114,960 times
Just curious, we have a gas range and a range hood vented to the outside. We would like to put a microware over the range...there are microwaves that vent to the outside, right? Because we have a gas range, is it required to vent outside by code?

Old 07-02-2007, 08:01 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,299,474 times
I purchased mine from Sears, paid extra for installation AND the extended warranty. I have had them out twice to fix something on it and didn't have to pay a dime.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:52 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,843,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needhalc View Post
Just curious, we have a gas range and a range hood vented to the outside. We would like to put a microware over the range...there are microwaves that vent to the outside, right? Because we have a gas range, is it required to vent outside by code?
yes, there are microwaves that vent outside and yes it is required with a gas range. There also has to be a minimum 18" between the gas cooktop and the bottom of the microwave.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:09 AM

275 posts, read 1,114,960 times
Thanks sacredgrooves...the reason we haven't put one in is because of the clearance...thanks for the info.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:27 PM

36 posts, read 112,173 times
Thank everybody for your guidance.

Our range hood shall lean against an interior wall. we are lucky that the vent tube run straight to a dead spot in the attic which can reach the roof in a very short distance.

I would like to leave the tube expose instead of hiding it in a wood frame enclosure.

what material should I use for the vent ? I see some black vent tube in some restaurant but I do not think that shall go with our kitchen color scheme.

Where can I find coper or coper look alike vent tube ?

I rule out the downdraft range. I do not think it does fair job of getting all the cooking fume out. My wife is a pro-chef. She is very creative and some time love to "kick it up a notch" in hot stuff. It can stay in the kitchen for couple day and I can't stand it. I need a 400 to 500 cfm exhaust fan.

Anybody has experience on installing a roof top exhaust range hood fan ? Please advise.

Thank for your help

Old 07-02-2007, 03:56 PM

43,308 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukkha2 View Post
Thank everybody for your guidance.

Our range hood shall lean against an interior wall. we are lucky that the vent tube run straight to a dead spot in the attic which can reach the roof in a very short distance.

I would like to leave the tube expose instead of hiding it in a wood frame enclosure.

what material should I use for the vent ? I see some black vent tube in some restaurant but I do not think that shall go with our kitchen color scheme.

Where can I find coper or coper look alike vent tube ?
Go to a sheet metal shop to fabricate copper.

I rule out the downdraft range. I do not think it does fair job of getting all the cooking fume out. My wife is a pro-chef. She is very creative and some time love to "kick it up a notch" in hot stuff. It can stay in the kitchen for couple day and I can't stand it. I need a 400 to 500 cfm exhaust fan.

Anybody has experience on installing a roof top exhaust range hood fan ? Please advise.
I suggest you call an electrician and a roofer. The roofing is easy. The wiring is easy, except for fishing wires, and getting into the panelboard.
Thank for your help
This is also a good DIY project, if you have the skills necessary.

You can find a sheet metal shop in the Yellow Pages. Ask if they will do a small job for you.
There is one in N Raleigh on Departure Drive, but I can't remember their name. Good folks.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:11 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,938 times
I agree with the downdraft, it leaves a bit to be desired as far as evacuating all of the cooking smells though I've read some of the telescoping ones work excellent compared to the typical consumer-grade JennAir products which happens to be what I have.

I'd be interested to hear how you end up routing your ducting to the outside as I'd eventually consider hooking my microwave to vent to the outside for better ventillation when frying or grilling which is what usually stinks the house up the most. It sounds like you'll just pop it through the ceiling in the kitchen instead of trying to run it up between the joists hidden in the wall. That could work for me as well as I believe our master closet is directly above my stove and I could easily deal with seeing some exposed duct, or even framing it in with drywall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary