Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 06:48 PM

166 posts, read 828,266 times

Advertisements

This is the third time we used Groupon coupon there. The first two times, ordered the buy one get one free sushi deal, they accepted the coupon ok. This evening, we ordered the same thing, bill came up to $55, server comes and tells us that we can't use the groupon coupon because the buy one get one free is a deal, and we can't combine both. Pointed out that we had used it successfully twice before, it was never an issue, but they were politely adamant about not accepting it. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up if you are planning to use it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 09:29 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
I have been hearing about this happening more and more lately (not just with Groupon but also with those coupon books) that if you order any type of "combo meal" many places are refusing to honor coupons. I guess it's in the small print "cannot be combined with any other offer" or something to that affect.
I call Moderator cut: language and will not go to those places. They have no idea what they are doing to themselves in this ecomony by tricking customers or even the illusion of it. If you're not going to honor coupons, then don't offer them in the first place and at least be honest and upfront about it.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-08-2010 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: Please let the language filters do their job.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:24 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I have been hearing about this happening more and more lately (not just with Groupon but also with those coupon books) that if you order any type of "combo meal" many places are refusing to honor coupons. I guess it's in the small print "cannot be combined with any other offer" or something to that affect.
I call Moderator cut: language and will not go to those places. They have no idea what they are doing to themselves in this ecomony by tricking customers or even the illusion of it. If you're not going to honor coupons, then don't offer them in the first place and at least be honest and upfront about it.

lol....it's called bait and switch...and highly illegal...make sure you read the fine print or at least ask the server if they will honor the coupon before ordering...feel the pain...

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-08-2010 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 09-08-2010, 06:49 AM

Yes, I am disappointed with them. We have been going there for a while now, always recommend them, and would keep going there irrespective of whether they have Groupon deals or not. But what upset me was them doing the bait and switch. They honored this twice before, and now, all of a sudden, they decide to change their policy. I have emailed Groupon and am waiting to hear back from them...

Old 09-08-2010, 09:29 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,664 times
how is it wrong of them to not accept it? You're already getting half off!!! Next you're going to tell us that you expect them to pay you for eating their food.

It's not a bait and switch. They are giving you a discount on REGULARLY priced food.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:34 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,444 times
I feel you should be able to use it not matter what. It is like a gift certificate. If you have a gift card would they refuse that?

Old 09-08-2010, 09:38 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,664 times
giftcards are a 1:1 value, groupons are not...they are coupons for a preset dollar amount. Hence the 'oupon' in groupon.

Bottom line is that they are cutting you a deal, but they still need to make money. If they start losing money because people abuse it and combine their offers, then they're gonna stop issuing the groupons all together.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:18 AM

The point is - they had allowed this before. Apparently, the groupon was a success and they have changed their policy. But, they are not advertising it. So, we had used one certificate about two weeks ago, and it was accepted fine. But then, last night, it was like NO we don't do that...

Old 09-08-2010, 10:21 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
giftcards are a 1:1 value, groupons are not...they are coupons for a preset dollar amount. Hence the 'oupon' in groupon.

Bottom line is that they are cutting you a deal, but they still need to make money. If they start losing money because people abuse it and combine their offers, then they're gonna stop issuing the groupons all together.
I agree with you, and gave you reps for your way of thinking.

That said, in this economy, if the OP is indeed a regular/return customer, then the smarter thing to do would have been to let her use the coupon with the understanding that it is not how it is meant to be used. Show their value for a return customer, and then make sure it is well documented that the coupons are not to be used with other offers, so that other customers don't have the same problem.

I gave reps to the OP too, for letting folks know, and also because she (?) seems reasonable and understanding.

Bottom line (IMO): Restaurant was not obligated to honor the groupon if it is covered in the fine print, but they probably should have recognized a good customer, and looked at the bigger picture.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:40 AM

118 posts, read 345,387 times
If Groupon works the same way that Restaurants.com works, the restaurant itself gets NO money from the website selling the coupon. All of that money goes to the company selling the coupon. They're relying on their profit to cover the cost of the discount in hopes that they will cultivate regular customers who will continue to come in and pay full price in the future. So, if you are a restaurant which makes say...60% profit on a meal, you're cutting your profit pretty thin on that 50% off coupon. Now, if the customer uses it on an already profit-reduced deal, now you're losing money.

I agree with the posters who say that if the coupons are not valid for discounted items, they should spell that out in advance. Still, I'm thinking that a business might not fully think through all of the various ways a customer might conceivably use the coupon. Just some perspective from the business owner's point of view.

We had a similar coupon program in FL and one of my friends (we were running similar, yet separate businesses in adjoining towns) literally put herself out of business honoring these sorts of coupons. It was totally her fault, but it was a tragedy nonetheless. She just didn't think it through. What was surprising, however was how many people came to MY store then and expected me to honor her coupons and got very belligerent with me when I would not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary