Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 4,068 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job in Raleigh and we're thinking of relocating. We are originally from Louisiana, but moved to Ohio 10 years ago, again for my husband's job. Our son was only 5 when we moved so he has what our Louisiana family calls, a Yankee accent. He plays hockey and lacrosse.

I'm really torn about moving him from his high school during his sophomore year. He's our only child so it's not like he'll have siblings to keep him busy.

What is the north/northeast part of Raleigh like for teenagers? Will they be open to a kid with a "Yankee" accent, but whose Mom has the southern twang? LOL I know from growing up on Louisiana, if you weren't into football and didn't carry a gun in your truck, you might have a hard time making friends? Is there anything like that in the Raleigh area?

My questions may sound silly, but I've read enough on here, I'm sure somebody will have thoughts!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 03:21 PM

3,667 posts, read 6,559,113 times
North Raleigh (west to east) is filled with families who have relocated from somewhere and so on that front there will be no issue. Furthermore, because of all the realignments over the past few years there's way less of a stigma attached to being the "new kid" because so many students have been in that position recently.

And the accents is also a non-issue. So many in North Raleigh are from somewhere else and those that are from Raleigh sometimes have a southern accent and sometimes have none of note.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:27 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,809,674 times
Raleigh is more "New South". Modern in many respects and diverse compared to most southern cities. You'll be surprised. Come down and visit, and you'll see.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,068 times
Thanks so much guys!

We're planning to visit as soon as things are a little further along with the job offer. My husband and I are excited about the possible move, however, the teenager is dead set against it!!

Old 09-12-2010, 03:44 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,067,563 times
I don't know any kids with Southern accents.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:06 PM

574 posts, read 1,207,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I don't know any kids with Southern accents.
No, they are VERY few and far between at our high school. Maybe a few that have moved here from down south. The vast majority have pretty neutral accents, a bit from Mom & Dad, probably a bit more from TV. In any case, I've not seen any case where anyone cared what accent you have here.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:17 PM

2,118 posts, read 4,159,934 times
Alot of New Yorkers have moved to RDU area.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:14 PM

441 posts, read 1,289,610 times
I moved here with my 15 year old daughter and 13 year old son from NY and there where no issues, accent no problem, so many transplants here from all over he will just blend in with everyone else.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:23 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,852,667 times
if you are in N, NE as the other posters have said, it's a non-issue. Also Ice Plex is in NE Raleigh at Capital and Brentwood. It's hockey program is very popular and most of the accents you hear at the kids' games are from elsewhere...many from the northeast.

And in Wake Forest, there is a complex called The Factory off US1 and Main (which is across the other side of Capital Blvd from Wakefield subdiv) They have a nice rink and programs.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:44 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,809,674 times
It seems like the people that make the biggest deal are those that come down from up North. My cousins went furniture shopping with me. They're from New Jersey and couldn't stop laughing when they heard this one lady speak. Terrible but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary