U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:21 PM

11 posts, read 14,382 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

My fiance and I are hoping to relocate to Raleigh from Miami, FL. She found her dream job and if she's able to get it, we'd be out of FL sometime after December. While she'd have work for herself - I would still need to find a job for my worthless ass. I have a background in Business Management and I am a member of the Florida Bar. That being said, anyone have any thoughts as to where I could start my job search? What are some of the big employers up there? Is anyone hiring? Rumor around the rest of the United States is that NC has largely fought off most of the ugly economic woes facing the rest of the nation. I could always take the bar and attempt to start my own practice - but I'd rather pursue something more secure - either with an already established law firm or corporation. My grades aren't fantastic - but I have work experience. Let me know what y'all think!!!

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,242,178 times
The only attorney I know personally here works in tax law but I know you need some special certificate for that. I have no idea if it's something in high demand. They seem to have a lot of work because he is always working but I know they all have to bill bill bill those hours! Good luck to you.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:32 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,242,178 times
Oh, and isn't immigration law big now? Do you speak any other languages? I really don't have any special insight, just a thought.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:51 AM

3,051 posts, read 4,641,156 times
No work for prosecutors here in Wake County as there is almost zero crime here - try Durham.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:22 AM

Ha! Saucy - that's part of the reason (among many others) why we'd like to relocate there. I'm sick of living in a crime-infested hell hole. I am not in any way married to the idea of praciting in criminal law. In fact, I'd love to try something on the civil side. I'd do civil litigation in a heartbeat (hell, the money is a little better), but I'd also love to make use of my background in Business Management. Any big banks in the area? I think I'd be a great fit in a financial compliance position. Also considered working for one of the many colleges in the area. College Counsel or Student Conduct positions might be a good match, too.

That being said, who are some of the bigger employers in the area? Someone advised me that IBM has a large office there. Let me know what you think!

Moving to Florida was one of the most stupid things I've ever done. I miss cool weather, good food and low-crime environments... Ahhhhh, someone please help!

Old 09-13-2010, 12:44 PM

10,566 posts, read 21,075,436 times
IBM has been laying people off for quite some time.

When you say "what are the bigger employers", you need to give SOME specifics as to industry. The Triangle area is known for biotech and state government, but of course there are plenty of folks in other fields. However, your questions are so vague as to almost be useless in getting any information. You should be able to get a list of large companies in a geographic area via Google, but most of them won't be in an industry you would consider.

EDIT: I had missed your part about banks. Charlotte is definitely the part of NC you want to be in for banking, not Raleigh. Charlotte is a huge banking center.

Do know that because this is seen as a desirable area to relocate to, the competition for any open job is far more than the unemployment rates would suggest, since unemployment only measures folks who actually live here, not the ones all over the US who are applying for jobs here (such as you ). Anecdotal evidence from local folks in HR say they've never seen anything like the floods of applications they're getting right now.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:16 PM

2,538 posts, read 5,098,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCLawyer2010 View Post
Moving to Florida was one of the most stupid things I've ever done. I miss cool weather, good food and low-crime environments... Ahhhhh, someone please help!
You miss good food? You're telling me you can't find good food in Florida???

Why don't you find a headhunting firm or employment agency since your skills are diverse and you're unsure of your direction?

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post

Why don't you find a headhunting firm or employment agency since your skills are diverse and you're unsure of your direction?

This is an interesting thought. Can anyone recommend a head-hunting / employment agency that might be helpful? Has anyone had any good experiences???

Old 09-14-2010, 08:59 AM

406 posts, read 748,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCLawyer2010 View Post
I miss cool weather, good food and low-crime environments...
I don't think that you will find better food or
cool weather here... low crime yes.
I guess one out of three aint bad.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:48 AM

17 posts, read 57,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
No work for prosecutors here in Wake County as there is almost zero crime here - try Durham.
Check out Raleigh's crime statistics here: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Violent crime rate is higher in Raleigh than the national average... OUCH!

Last edited by Yac; 10-18-2010 at 07:08 AM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary