Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,443 times

Advertisements

I have been recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's and I am looking for a doctor in the area who specializes in thyroid disorders. I have a great NP and ENT doctor (probably having my thyroid removed soon). I have been to a couple Endocrine doctors but none of them have experience with Hashimoto's. I am also looking for people in the area who could offer some support and wisdom for some others with the disease. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 12:18 PM

398 posts, read 1,292,422 times
When I moved here and needed an endo, I received a bunch of recommendations from Shawnee Weir at Raleigh Endocrine Group. Unfortunately, she didn't work out for me (I don't have a thyroid problem, I have Type 1 diabetes), but I still go to the practice. They recently moved and are located across the street from Rex Hospital. Very nice staff, great laboratory technicians, lots of information. The person I personally see is available all the time, even on email. Good luck!

Old 09-13-2010, 03:49 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
My wife has this disease, for about the last 4 or 5 years. She has been able to control it with diet. She currently sees a natural doctor. No we aren't hippies. She tried the medicine they gave her and hated it.

Her numbers before going to a diet were 35+ and increasing, I think the last one was 3.8. It takes a good 6 months for the diet (being FAITHFUL) to go into full effect. I can tell you our regular doctor(s) are completely against it.

I also like to tell the story of my headaches, I received a career-ending diagnosis from a neurologist, even after an MRI. Believe it or not 3 days of R&R, massages, and muscle relaxant tea I was good as new. He would've had me on pills the rest of my life. Unbelievable? Nope.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't do anything drastic (surgery) before you investigate all options. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:56 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times
I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's about 25 years ago. Typically you do not have any major symptoms until years down the road. That's when you will probably need to be on some type of T4/T3 replacement. I think I started meds only about 8-10 years ago so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just have your blood work done routinely to see when it may be time (and if you start to see symptoms). It's really not all that bad.

Is there a reason why they want to remove your thyroid now? Mine was only recently removed (due to cancer). My surgeon was Dr. Kirk Faust (Raleigh) and he was WONDERFUL!!! I HIGHLY recommend him! He decided to do a full thyroidectomy (even though cancer was only found on one side through biopsies). Thank goodness he did because cancer was found, post surgery, on the other side of the thyroid. He does one of the tiniest incisions that I have ever seen and I can't even really see a scar now.....and most importantly I have had clear scans and labs (no traces of cancer, etc.) and no issues with Parathyroid and calcium.

My Endocrinologist is Dr Julia Warren Ulanch at Carolina Endocrine. She has been really good and works with me to prescribe the correct dosage of T4 and T3 that my body needs.

If you have any other questions feel free to DM me.

Wishing you the best!

Old 09-13-2010, 07:02 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,335 times
You may want to check out Mary Shomon's patient advocacy site. There is also a section where people recommend doctors in their local areas who were good at helping them:

North Carolina Top Doctors -- Best Thyroid Doctors, Endocrinologists, Thyroidologists, Practitioners and Experts in the World as Nominated by Patients, from Mary Shomon

Old 02-10-2012, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,826 times
NRaleighMom -

I sent you a DM. Just had a consult with Dr. Faust regarding a partial thyroidectomy and would love your input.

Cathy

Old 02-10-2012, 10:28 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I'm not expert in Hashimoto's Disease - but since it's an autoimmune disorder, I would think that a rheumatologist should be part of the consulting team.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,759 times
Default About a diet just for Hashimoto's

HI Wheelsup.
I realize that this post is very old (more than 6 years) and I have newly moved to the Triangle area. As I was searching for a good endocrinologist, I stumbled upon your blog on a special diet for this.
Could you please refer me to the doctor that is providing this natural therapy, versus medication?
I would be interested in exploring this.
All along I have only been on meds and I recently heard that turmeric is very effective in toning down Hashimotos.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
My wife has this disease, for about the last 4 or 5 years. She has been able to control it with diet. She currently sees a natural doctor. No we aren't hippies. She tried the medicine they gave her and hated it.

Her numbers before going to a diet were 35+ and increasing, I think the last one was 3.8. It takes a good 6 months for the diet (being FAITHFUL) to go into full effect. I can tell you our regular doctor(s) are completely against it.

I also like to tell the story of my headaches, I received a career-ending diagnosis from a neurologist, even after an MRI. Believe it or not 3 days of R&R, massages, and muscle relaxant tea I was good as new. He would've had me on pills the rest of my life. Unbelievable? Nope.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't do anything drastic (surgery) before you investigate all options. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary