Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 10:05 AM

871 posts, read 3,018,814 times

Advertisements

Teeny-tiny nose stud aside, there is always one size up, then one size up from that, and so on, until someone has the equivalent of a hubcap on their nose. So, the school is then in a corner, trying to adjudicate what size nose stud to conform to. Really a ridiculous issue. Why do people have to make a statement (I'm referring to the girl in the story) by being a sheep and following the face piercing crowd? I'd rather my kids lead by taking honors classes (which they are, and which, lamentably, I never did take).

We are coddling these kids to express themselves in a way that will not fly once they get OUT of school, where they will be the ones whining about not having herbal tea in the staff kitchen and demanding the corner cubicle.

I have tattoos and was able to wait until I was in the military to get them. The schools need your support, not your mememe head games. This goes for so many aspects of parental involvement I don't have all day to list them. The school is primarily a learning environment. Check your "faith" and social messages at the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 12:08 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
The "Church of Body Modification"??

Awesome -- invent a church to enshrine your fringe/questionable/illegal activity, then assemble a history of ancient rites and beliefs to support it.

Instant ACLU representation!!
It is a legitimate and legal organization. Church of Body Modification
and Johnston County school allows exemptions for religious beliefs. They will likely loose a legal fight over this.

Anyway, I guess I'm doubly lucky that I have a very individualistic daughter who both has a nose piercing AND takes all honors classes (and gets A's in them as well).

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-25-2010 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 09-16-2010, 01:04 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
It is a legitimate and legal organization. Church of Body Modification
I know -- that's what prompted my post!

Good on your daughter, by the way.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
What do you think about this? Would this happen in Wake or Durham schools?
There may be some schools in Wake or Durham (or Franklin, or Chatham, or...) where this would happen and some where it would not. I doubt that there is 100% agreement in any school district on such a gray area as this, just as many other Johnston county schools probably wouldn't have taken this on.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:22 PM

240 posts, read 627,866 times
I just don't get it. So they worship punching holes in their bodies??? What am I missing here? Also, I will say this, my wife has numerous ear piercings and at one time had her tongue pierced. Once she tried to get a real job that she hoped would turn into a career she decided the tongue ring needed to go. She has now been with that company for 7 years and has rapidly advanced through 5 positions. She has been in charge of hiring for multiple locations in the past and I know she would tell you to make sure your daughter takes anything that is stuck through her face out before she comes to work each day because her clients don't want to see it. I think Clayton High should let this one go. If the girl and her mother who is still a young woman as well want to pray to the Piercing Pagoda let them have at it. It's not for everyone but I agree that they should be able to censor what the kids where to school to an extent. I bet if you ask this young mom in this article if she minds her daughter having some friends over on a Saturday night and having some drinks at her house she wouldn't mind that either. I guess I'm just not free-spirited enough to get that.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:43 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,777 times
Totally ludicrous. Whatever thoughts about the religion, to keep this kid out of school for a tiny stud in her nose is just assinine. Shame on JoCo schools.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:15 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,865,120 times
looks like ACLU gets an easy win on this one

Old 09-16-2010, 02:22 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
This came from the WRAL article:

"A similar situation to the Iaconos’ went to the courts in 2002, when a woman was fired from her job at a Costco store over her eyebrow ring. The woman was also a member of the Church of Body Modification, but the courts eventually ruled that her religious beliefs did not require her to always wear her jewelry."

So...if her religion doesn't require that she ALWAYS wear her piercings and Johnston County's Schools dress codes says no facial piercings, what is the problem???

Why can't she wear her piercings when she isn't in school?

Wouldn't we live in an amazing world if we all followed the LAWS? Maybe we should start by teaching our children to obey the RULES.

Vicki

Old 09-16-2010, 02:27 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
This came from the WRAL article:

"A similar situation to the Iaconos’ went to the courts in 2002, when a woman was fired from her job at a Costco store over her eyebrow ring. The woman was also a member of the Church of Body Modification, but the courts eventually ruled that her religious beliefs did not require her to always wear her jewelry."

So...if her religion doesn't require that she ALWAYS wear her piercings and Johnston County's Schools dress codes says no facial piercings, what is the problem???

Why can't she wear her piercings when she isn't in school?

Wouldn't we live in an amazing world if we all followed the LAWS? Maybe we should start by teaching our children to obey the RULES.

Vicki
But, and I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, there are no rules banning the cross, star of David, or the crescent moon, are there? Christians are not required to wear cross necklaces, yet they do.

Who's to say that Christianity is more of a "religion" than this body piercing thing?

The thing is that for so long the religious right has fought tooth and nail to allow prayer in schools under the argument of religious freedom - but if you're going to allow Christians their freedoms to express their religions then by default you must allow other religions to express their beliefs. You may think that they are ridiculous, but I'm sure that they think the same about traditional religions and people who follow a book based on "faith" that something is the truth.

Either allow ALL religions in schools or allow NONE. I'd prefer the none myself, then we don't get into these expensive legal battles over something so stupid.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:31 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
But, and I'm playing Devil's Advocate here, there are no rules banning the cross, star of David, or the crescent moon, are there? Christians are not required to wear cross necklaces, yet they do.

Who's to say that Christianity is more of a "religion" than this body piercing thing?

The thing is that for so long the religious right has fought tooth and nail to allow prayer in schools under the argument of religious freedom - but if you're going to allow Christians their freedoms to express their religions then by default you must allow other religions to express their beliefs. You may think that they are ridiculous, but I'm sure that they think the same about traditional religions and people who follow a book based on "faith" that something is the truth.

Either allow ALL religions in schools or allow NONE. I'd prefer the none myself, then we don't get into these expensive legal battles over something so stupid.
She CAN wear her jewelry or her nose ring...around her neck just not through her face. If someone wanted to wear a cross through their nose, it wouldn't be allowed either.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary