Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:17 PM

838 posts, read 2,579,876 times

Advertisements

Anybody purchased a 55" TV lately? I was looking at another Samsung 8000 series, but the newer versions all seem to be 3D ready and the problem with that is that I am not ready for the 3D hoopla just yet because of the hefty price tag. I already have a Samsung 240Hz 1080P LED and need a second TV (not necessarily the same specs) for the downstairs living room so that my mother can have something to watch when she visits because the primary one is upstairs and the last time she visited she hurt her self coming down the stairs and I am trying to avoid that this time around .

In any event, I know that Samsung and Sony make some real good TV in the 55" category, but I am not sure about the other manufacturers and would love some feedback and pricing etc. If I do end up with another Samsung, I was hoping to keep the price at or below $1,600 with at least a 3-year extended warranty included .... an I asking too much here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 12:21 PM

521 posts, read 1,595,226 times
Probably a good candidate for the Shopping and Consumer Products forum.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:27 PM

285 posts, read 834,144 times
Depending on what you're looking for - I bought my last TV from BJ's - a 40" Samsung LCD, and really happy with it (although now I want a bigger one!)

I find that BJs have the top brands, but just the older model - for example they LCD, LED & Plasma's now, but I doubt they have 3D. I bought mine about a year ago and as it was the older one it didnt come with all the internet widgets that are standard now - which didn't bother me

LG are a good brand. If you're on a budget, I'd suggest looking at Vizio, as I think they've come a long way recently too...

If you don't want BJ's, the best retailers I found price-wise was HH Greggs - cheaper than Best Buy etc - but their sales guys are a little pushy!

Old 09-16-2010, 04:20 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,051,621 times
Some of the new plasmas are great values. You can find a 1080p 50" Samsung (and others) for under $1,000.

FWIW - I'm definitely a fence sitter on 3D at this point too.

Frank

Old 09-16-2010, 05:22 PM

5,789 posts, read 6,837,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
Probably a good candidate for the Shopping and Consumer Products forum.
You may also want to check out the Raleigh group on the AVS Forum

Raleigh, NC - HDTV - AVS Forum

Old 09-16-2010, 05:54 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,139,132 times
walmart has a 55inch vizio for 1298. just purchased two for my company and they look great.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:35 PM

251 posts, read 513,460 times
We got a flyer that HHGregg was having a sale on their TVs.....it had plasmas and LCDs in it. The prices were under $1600 for the more expensive models. They advertised Samsung. We have a 42" Samsung plasma in our family room and love it.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:39 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,799,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Some of the new plasmas are great values. You can find a 1080p 50" Samsung (and others) for under $1,000.

FWIW - I'm definitely a fence sitter on 3D at this point too.

Frank
That's exactly what I did over at HHGregg

Old 09-16-2010, 08:49 PM

838 posts, read 2,579,876 times
Forgot to mention that I am not looking at Plasmas because of the burn in effect and the fact that they run very hot. It has to be a LCD TV. In addition, what price range for a 55" is considered a good deal? Thanks

Old 09-16-2010, 08:59 PM

43,046 posts, read 76,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerican View Post
Forgot to mention that I am not looking at Plasmas because of the burn in effect and the fact that they run very hot. It has to be a LCD TV. In addition, what price range for a 55" is considered a good deal? Thanks
Do what you want to do with LCD, but I think you may have been misinformed on the plasmas.
We have a low end Best Buy Insignia plasma, and I love it.
Good black and gray rendering and no motion blur with sports.

1. Burn in is pretty much history in modern plasmas. We watch SD and standard shows without "stretching" them to fit the widescreen, and we have no burn in on the sides of the screen after nearly two years.

2. Before calibration, there was only very little heat off the screen. It certainly was not "very hot." You didn't notice heat a foot away. When the plasma is properly calibrated, it runs much more efficiently, i.e. cooler. Even after nearly two years, it is only a little warm. Certainly not hot, but likely could benefit from a recalibration.

I would not hesitate for a moment to buy another plasma, although I would likely get calibration software on line and do it myself rather than pay to have it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary