Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:16 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,069,777 times

Advertisements

I grew up with snow. I actually felt very homesick when I saw a movie with a lot of snow about a year after I first moved here. I think it was "Little Women," and it was filmed in Vancouver.

There's a scene where there are just drifts of snow. I thought of the sensory delights of snow -- the coldness, the feel of it, the taste, the sound of it. And at that moment, I missed it all terribly.

So I had about an hour of mourning snow, which I never thought I'd do.

And that was that. Never thought about it again. It's fun when it snows here because everyone gets a day off, kids can play, and the dogs are confused. But I don't miss it anymore.

I'm sure you'll adjust, too. You can always drive to the mountains to ski or just to get a snow fix, too.

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/cm/g...e-Women-fb.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 02:34 PM

77 posts, read 153,866 times
Thanks everyone! So it seems the consensus is 1-2 snows ranging from a dusting to 2 inches is 'average',' with some years getting nothing and some getting 6 inches. Kind of borderline snow. As for the DC job market, my husband is a corporate attorney. There are very few businesses headquartered in DC- this is a government town. And if you're not working for the government, or a contractor who works for the government, the job market stinks. Particularly if you're an attorney (DC has the highest per capita attorney rate in the US), the job market is lousy, lousy, lousy. I know it's lousy in NC, too, but there are many more businesses in NC than are in DC so our odds would be higher there.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:50 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,586,191 times
Just as long as Raleigh has a Whole Foods, you wouldn't want to know what novadc thinks about a city that doesn't have one of those

(Head to Charlotte forum if you do want to know )

Old 09-17-2010, 02:54 PM

Yes, I like Whole Foods. So shoot me. And I was surprised Charlotte didn't have one. At the time I didn't know they had an organic market at all but have since learned they have an Earth Fare. Topchief and some others seem to have an inferiority complex about their cities and can't handle when someone questions anything. The whole point of these forums is for people to do their research before moving, to find out what things their prospective city does/does not have. Geez!

Old 09-17-2010, 10:50 PM

7,109 posts, read 4,712,743 times
There are so many attorneys in DC compared to here, you've got to be looking in the wrong places. Corporate attorneys are everywhere in DC. You are serious thinking they're not? Much more than here, for sure.

This area is difficult for attorneys. A major firm last year let go numerous lawyers. It's hard to get started right now as a lawyer if you're new to the area.
best,
toodie

Old 09-18-2010, 06:58 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,853,958 times
Or move to our mountains...you'll see plenty there I am surprised to hear that DC has less job ops than Raleigh although I know it can be industry specific as another poster said.

Snow - we've had some winters with no snow. And then some with 2 good storms almost back to back, yes, enough for sledding. But often it barely coats the grass or melts within 2-3 hrs. Raleigh is the last place I'd come for snow.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:08 AM

202 posts, read 228,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
How bizarre, because almost universally, everything I read says the DC area has one of the stronger job markets in the country right now--certainly more so than NC. Like J_Lurk said, tons of people are moving out of Raleigh to DC because of jobs! What industry is your husband in that this is a better market than up there?
DC unemployment rate is 10.5% whereas the Triangle unemployment rate is 7.5%. It's much worse in DC when you look at the rate alone.

Google - public data

July jobless rate dips in Triangle - Economy - NewsObserver.com

The Triangle is rated as one of the best places for employment in these articles, just like DC is. That's kind of odd, don't you think?

People in the DC forum are screaming how bad the economy is there and don't move there without a job, just like they do here in the Triangle and like they do in the Texas forums. Everyone is saying the same thing just about everywhere.

Isn't it amazing how things look different to people on the other side of the same fence?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,713,967 times
Snow...........something I LOVE and never get. If it snowed five feet I'd be disappointed it didn't snow six feet. We do get snow but it's a rare event. People make fun of us down here because we shut down everything when it snows. What they don't realize is that we have very little snow removal equipment because there's never any use for it. They say we can't drive in it? The last snow we had I counted all the cars off the road and in the ditches. Out of every ten cars, six had yankee plates on them because I made a point to check. Imagine that! LOL

People here complain that they can't go anywhere in it, can't get out of the house? Where do I have to go? Why would I want to go anywhere? I'm in heaven sitting here watching it snow, sledding, playing it in. It never happens and I plan on enjoying every minute of it. They complain about having to shovel snow. It will be a very cold day in hell before I even think about shoveling snow. We used to have good ice storms which I loved! That hardly ever happens anymore as well. Winter here sucks. Just cold with no snow, totally worthless. I'd stay in DC because if you're coming here wanting snow you're going to be sooooo disappointed. When and if I ever become filthy rich, I can promise all my winters will be spent in yankeeland enjoying snow! There's a few pics in the link below showing what snow we do get to give you an idea.........

Snow! - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/builder24car/sets/72157622343362574/ - broken link)

Old 09-18-2010, 11:39 AM

Thanks builder24car! If my husband could find a job in DC, there's no way I would ever consider NC. But, since he's been looking for over a year and still no job, NC is in the picture. He routinely gets calls from headhunters in NC. I'm thinking NC is an option (some places the headhunters call from I won't even consider)- it's not too far from DC, and being a GA native, it has to have a cooler and better winter (with more chances for snow at least) than GA does. I hope we both win the lottery, so you can spend your winters sledding in yankeeland and I can, too!

Old 09-18-2010, 11:53 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,853,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novadc View Post
Thanks everyone! So it seems the consensus is 1-2 snows ranging from a dusting to 2 inches is 'average',' with some years getting nothing and some getting 6 inches. Kind of borderline snow. As for the DC job market, my husband is a corporate attorney. There are very few businesses headquartered in DC- this is a government town. And if you're not working for the government, or a contractor who works for the government, the job market stinks. Particularly if you're an attorney (DC has the highest per capita attorney rate in the US), the job market is lousy, lousy, lousy. I know it's lousy in NC, too, but there are many more businesses in NC than are in DC so our odds would be higher there.
Then I'd choose Charlotte due to it being a banking center - those bankers are gonna need good attorneys And you'll be closer to the mtns and Georgia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary