Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 01:36 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
a lot of plants you see in CA look much healthier here like azaleas, magnolias and crepe myrtles.
Soil composition is just different here for those plants.

Azaleas: Azalea Care
Quote:
They grow best in acid (4.5 to 6.0 pH), well-drained, organic soils
Magnolias: Magnolia
Quote:
The ideal soil for most magnolias is rich, porous, acidic (pH 5.0 to 6.5) and well-drained. Most tolerate moderate drought and some tolerate wet soils. Plant in full sun or partial shade. The soil should be amended with leaf mold at planting.
Crepe Myrtles: Crepe Myrtle Varieties
Quote:
Crapemyrtles require moderate to well-drained soils. They can be grown in clay, loam or sandy soils as long as the soils are oxygenated. The soil pH should be 5.5 to 7.5 with 6.5 being optimum.
I wonder what the typical soil ph is in CA? Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 02:13 PM

275 posts, read 1,114,493 times
southernlady5464, I see the azaleas & crepe myrtle need well drained soil, but they seem to thrive in the clay that absorbs absolutely no water! My husband & I learned that when we were trying to figure out how to dig a hole and thought to fill it with water like in CA if you had a tough spot...2 hrs later, the water was still there!!! But I have a old azaleas and crepe myrtles that love it...I can't figure it out.

Old 08-14-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
I see the azaleas & crepe myrtle need well drained soil, but they seem to thrive in the clay that absorbs absolutely no water! My husband & I learned that when we were trying to figure out how to dig a hole and thought to fill it with water like in CA if you had a tough spot...2 hrs later, the water was still there!!! But I have a old azaleas and crepe myrtles that love it...I can't figure it out.
Maybe cause WE are trying to plant them and not Mother Nature? Liz

Old 08-14-2007, 03:21 PM

28 posts, read 111,703 times
Well, in CA, Southern CA anyway, if you don't tend to your yard it will turn into a dry brown patch. Here if you don't tend to your yard it will grow a million trees, vines and other various things and eventually get usurped back into the forest.

Marie

Old 08-14-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Here if you don't tend to your yard it will grow a million trees, vines and other various things and eventually get usurped back into the forest.
Esp if there is Kudzu any where around. Liz

Old 08-14-2007, 04:23 PM

299 posts, read 635,047 times
I'm interested in the "funky" tax you're referring to when you register your car from out of state. Can anyone tell me more about it and the cost involved, please? Thanks!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:34 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
^ Check out this thread.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:37 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMBERRRR View Post
I think that is a naive opinion. My students in CA were not very materialistic since most of them were from low income families. You also need to be careful when looking at test data since NC has to deal with a much, much, much smaller English Language Learner population. If you actually looked at a break-down of demographic information, CA is dealing with a much larger low-income population where education of the parents was far below what their children were receiving. Different states, different issues to face, so it's not really fair to compare general scores.

Where I taught in CA, many of my kids were trying to keep from getting into gang trouble or worried about helping their parents raise their brothers and sisters. I don't know where you came from in CA, but as an actual teacher and one who was born and raised in the Bay Area, I can wholeheartedly say that most teens in the area can barely afford to be arguing about "status" since most of their parents are working several jobs just to afford house payments. As always, there are exceptions to this, and some areas are going to have teens with more money than others, but if you did some research, I think you would find that MAJORITY of the state is not wealthy.

The last thing I would point out is that according to testing data, NC students are doing incredibly well.....until high school when you see a bit of a decline. In terms of SAT and ACT scores, CA is actually higher than NC. So I ask, why the decline in high school?

This may be a different coast, but I have still seen my fair share of teens running around in "Hollister" and "Abercrombie and Fitch" clothing, I seriously don't think materialism is the issue anywhere. If you were to cite family values as a reason students retain information better or perhaps the fact that families have more time to spend with each other because the cost of living is so much closer to income, or even the fact that the average highest education received is higher here than in CA, I could see where you were coming from. However, to say that you lived in CA and only saw teens that were concerned with "status," just tells me you stuck to the wealthier areas of CA. But, that is just my opinion.
Those are all good points however I have seen a lot of this attitude from the parents which in turn rubs off on the children. Sure, there are low income areas where this may not be the case but I even see low income kids wearing $150 sneakers. Some of the gangs kill other students for their "designer clothes". I disagree with you but I respect your opinion. As a teacher you see many thing I dont see. This is what I have experienced.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 13,793 times
We are looking at Raleigh to relocate from Sacramento. In Roseville, where my wife teaches high school, they have the block schedule. She has 3 80 minute classes and one prep. She's a science teacher and loves the schedule. She has time to set up labs and get more done everyday than a typical 50 minute class. IMO, If kids aren't able to stay away for 30 minutes longer than a typical class they've got a rough road ahead of them. Maybe an earlier bed time?

Old 09-26-2007, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 13,793 times
I've lived in SoCal, Central Cal and NorCal for most of my life. All different people with different attitudes, lifestyles, etc. If you based the state on the people, it could be 3 different states. SoCal people have the beaches, Hollywood, the "OC", etc. They are tanned and into their convertibles and being seen. Central Valley Cal is farmland, nothing but farmland. People are not so much into material things as they are how the weather is going to alter their crop production for the year. NorCal coastal people are artsy fartsy, hi tech, etc. Very much into gadgets and the latest high tech products. Very much into their hybrids and saving the Bay. Continue up to "real" NorCal and it's like many parts of the country, slower life, trees, mountains, etc. You really can't stereotype a Californian because someone from San Diego is different that a person from LA, different from a person from Bakersfield, different from a person from San Francisco, different from a person from Weed. That's right, I said Weed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary