Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:16 PM

920 posts, read 2,804,535 times

Advertisements

You can't stereotype a typical Californian, and if you break it down, a typical Angelino. It's such a diverse state, and each region and city is diverse within itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 06:05 PM

21 posts, read 75,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloggg View Post
I've lived in SoCal, Central Cal and NorCal for most of my life. All different people with different attitudes, lifestyles, etc. If you based the state on the people, it could be 3 different states. SoCal people have the beaches, Hollywood, the "OC", etc. They are tanned and into their convertibles and being seen. Central Valley Cal is farmland, nothing but farmland. People are not so much into material things as they are how the weather is going to alter their crop production for the year. NorCal coastal people are artsy fartsy, hi tech, etc. Very much into gadgets and the latest high tech products. Very much into their hybrids and saving the Bay. Continue up to "real" NorCal and it's like many parts of the country, slower life, trees, mountains, etc. You really can't stereotype a Californian because someone from San Diego is different that a person from LA, different from a person from Bakersfield, different from a person from San Francisco, different from a person from Weed. That's right, I said Weed.
Well said. This has been my experience of the different regions of California also. The only thing you didn't mention is that the majority of Eastern Cali on the other side of the Sierra Nevada's is Farming and Small towns too.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmow View Post
Have a quesiton for those of you who have lived in California and then moved to the Raleigh area. What are the differences between living in California and living in Raleigh/NC that has had the biggest impact on your lives? Positives and negatives. For those of you who have young children could you please tell me the differences you see in the schools. Are you glad you made the move? How long did it take for you to feel like you were at home in North Carolina? We will be moving out of the SF Bay Area and are trying to decide where to move to. Thanks for your help

There is no comparison between California and North Carolina. I was born in California and when I was in elementary school, my father and I moved to North Carolina to be closer to family. I have family from Boston to Atlanta. We just recently moved back to California and I'm in high school now. Regardless, my father and I were very disappointed and not satisfied living in North Carolina. Speaking from my own experience, the public schools were horrible. I was so unhappy and my dad decided to pull me out of school and homeschool me. The roads and sewer systems are horrible and the state's own civil engineers graded the state with a C- overall. It is so hard to eat healthy there and the quality of life does not compare. Sure, it was nice to have a bigger house on more land and not have to deal with as much traffic, but I would trade all of that to live in California any day. I'm not sure what people mean when they talk about "southern hospitality" because I never experienced it. For the most part, the met that I met and was surrounded by in North Carolina seemed very unhappy and were rude and disrespectful. There are a lot of people there with a very slow mentality. I observed that kids there did not strive for success and were very easily brought down and influenced. In California, for the most part, kids around my age seem to strive to success and want to do something with their life. When I lived in North Carolina, kids were content with staying where they were born and not really amounting to much. Their idea of fun was smoking cigarettes and drinking beer. I'm not trying to offend anyone in anyway, I'm just giving you my honest opinion. Also, there is a substantial amount of racial tension and people are much more judgmental. California is kind of like a melting pot, and all races are commonly accepted. I didn't feel like that was the case when I resided in North Carolina. I hope that this helps you with your decision!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:45 AM

932 posts, read 1,265,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
For example???? Liz

one word... KUDZU

Old 04-24-2008, 11:09 PM

27 posts, read 111,902 times
Default Pro's and Con's

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmow View Post
Have a quesiton for those of you who have lived in California and then moved to the Raleigh area. What are the differences between living in California and living in Raleigh/NC that has had the biggest impact on your lives? Positives and negatives. For those of you who have young children could you please tell me the differences you see in the schools. Are you glad you made the move? How long did it take for you to feel like you were at home in North Carolina? We will be moving out of the SF Bay Area and are trying to decide where to move to. Thanks for your help
Pro's of Raleigh-Durham.
I am from RDU area. While I love the Bay Area, CA, I miss NC sometimes terribly. Here is specifically what I miss-

The seasons
the friendly people (people waving at you going down the road that you don't know!)
The lady at the Post office, knowing everything about you!
the snow (in small doses)
Everyone knowing everybody sort of feeling, people looking out for neighbors.
the art and music in the schools
slower pace of life
Bo-jangles chicken biscuits.
Christmas time (all the white lights and the spirit of things.)

Con's of RDU
The Humidity
The Bugs
Somedays I felt the Civil War was still going on.
Good 'ole boy system still in place in certain small towns

Pro's of Bay Area, CA
Weather (best EVER!)
friendly people
the diverse culture
So many things to do and see
Way more dining choices!
close to beaches and Yosemite
no religious pressure
beautiful place to live
environmentally still ahead of most areas of NC

Con's of Bay Area, CA
Traffic (worst EVER!)
no historic "I've lived here for 5 generations" feel
lots of people constantly moving in and out
the School system in CA is not as good as NC in my personal opinion
Our Gov't is a mess
Our roads are a mess
Our schools are suffering.

Hope this helps, I love both states, they are just different

Old 04-25-2008, 08:31 AM

413 posts, read 1,250,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleigho View Post
"I've lived here for 5 generations" feel
I didn't know folks in NC got that old.

But I know what you mean--the roots go deep here, especially in the countryside. Chapel Hill used to be that way, but now it's the joke "The few, the proud" who have stayed. Most are transplants...must be from CA

Old 04-25-2008, 08:53 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,725,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloggg View Post
different from a person from San Francisco, different from a person from Weed. That's right, I said Weed.
Ah, yes Weed. In college my roomate and I broke down in Weed. I remember it well. I met severall Eugene hippies that were always dispointed to find out that Weed was named after the founder of the mill instead of another weed that was dear to their hearts.

But for California's Weed, North Carolina has Tickbite. Yes, that's right, a town called Tickbite.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:41 PM

108 posts, read 493,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
There is no comparison IMO. California is a state full of plastic people who find joy out of materialistic things. They occupy their 2+ hour commuting times commiserating over why their neighbors have a bigger house better car (more debt) than they do. What they can buy next. Their brains are so full of this hectic life style that they are too busy to say a sincere hello and look anyone in the eye. Now trickle down that attitude to school age children and you have kids that only care about what name brand clothing they have on. I know this sounds harsh but I lived in CA both northern and southern my entire life and sometimes it is hard to get a perspective on something you live in every day. Carolina is everything Liz said and more. Slower pace of life, people look you in the eye and really want to know how your day is. The only downside of Carolina for me has been the bugs. That has taken a bit to get used to.

Wow! I'm from CA and I think the people there are very warm and friendly and lovely. Just like people here. There are wonderful people and awful people everywhere.

This may not go over well, but I have found some people here to be less tolerant about religious differences. And there is more racism, actually ignorance. Some people actually refer a school as "the black school" Meaning that the student body is predominantly African American Certainly not everyone here is racist or intolerant, but there are more people who are ignorant. Bless their hearts!

Old 04-26-2008, 09:10 PM

371 posts, read 1,255,282 times
I moved to Cary about a year ago from San Diego and regret it every day. There's nothing at all like the west coast weather. No bugs, no humidity. I found perhaps LA to be 'plasticy', but not San Diego. In fact they were much more caring about the earth and politics, etc. than here in NC. Plus the diet around here...my God---so much obesity, smoking (as if it's a different decade), and not vegetarian friendly ( what do you mean you don't eat meat? ). People are very friendly on the outside, but I find quite closed minded. Gays are not open around here, haven't seen many interracial couples, and church still plays a big part of their lives. There are many transplants, here, though so there's always someone around the corner who is new to the area as well. I personally ( and that's what this forum's about ) would only leave Cali if you've got kids that need better schools and for whom you desire better housing. Otherwise, enjoy all that Ca has!

Old 04-27-2008, 05:17 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,085,380 times
We lived in LA in the 70's when the weather was nicer, taxes and rents were fair, and crime was under control.

Can't see why anyone would pay the insane cost of living there under current conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary