Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 8,083 times

Advertisements

My family and I (myself, husband and two toddler boys) are seriously thinking about relocating to NC next summer. We are thinking of the Triange Area because we would like a little bit of land. Ideally, we would like to find about 5-10 acres that we can build our modest dream home on. In the meantime we would rent. Is this possible with an approximate $50,000 price range (for land)? Because I have kids and have no interest in homeschooling (nothing against it at all - I just don't feel I'm qualified to do it!) I would also like to be near good schools and hospitals.

For all you transplants out there, how did you make the move? We are planning on visiting the area a few times before making our final decision, but should we start contacting a relator now, or just visit and drive around?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 02:31 PM

47 posts, read 102,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc1119 View Post
My family and I (myself, husband and two toddler boys) are seriously thinking about relocating to NC next summer. We are thinking of the Triange Area because we would like a little bit of land. Ideally, we would like to find about 5-10 acres that we can build our modest dream home on. In the meantime we would rent. Is this possible with an approximate $50,000 price range (for land)? Because I have kids and have no interest in homeschooling (nothing against it at all - I just don't feel I'm qualified to do it!) I would also like to be near good schools and hospitals.

For all you transplants out there, how did you make the move? We are planning on visiting the area a few times before making our final decision, but should we start contacting a relator now, or just visit and drive around?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!
If you are looking for 5-10 acres of land for that price range you mentioned, you would have to be on the outskirts of Wake County or in Franklin, Orange or Johnston counties. Wake County is typically more expensive for an acre of land, however right now there are a lot of deals on land packages but you would be advised to contact a realtor/broker for sure, especially if you are looking to rent before you build. It's possible you could find a nice lot with a few acres and live in a modular home temporarily until your home is done. You could find a package that has the temp/rental home on the acreage and build out on it to suit your needs.

Check the county for homes with land available.

The schools are pretty good, even in the rural areas surrounding Raleigh, try Bunn, Zebulon, Clayton, Hillsborough, Youngsville areas.

Best of luck.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:41 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
I would also say you would need to be on the outskirts of things to even come close to finding 5 acres for 50k. In wake forest (not the city limits) an acre of land is going for any where from 65-90k. I think coming to visit is important, looking at what is out there is very important, and determining how much land you really want, and recognizing how getting the land may put you too far away from the amenities you desire - you may realize that 3 acres is more than enough if it means you are 10 miles closer to a grocery store, or a hospital.

The triangle is a very very big area, and there are many many options out there, doing some thorough research is a must.

Leigh

Old 09-20-2010, 05:14 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
We just relocated here, and although it was tempting to have a house built on acreage, we opted to buy in a subdivision. I suggest you make some trips down here and do a LOT of research. We ultimately wanted to be in a subdivision with a pool so that the kids would have an easier time meeting other kids and have some recreational opportunities built in. We've been here almost 2 months and they've made a bunch of friends and even went to their first neighborhood b'day party the other night/ It was also easier for us to match up with the schools we wanted in an established neighborhood. Make sure YOU come here and look around with your family. Good luck and enjoy the search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary