Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:11 AM

533 posts, read 1,198,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowNC View Post
I am also a transplant here, originally from Minnesota -- welcome!

I'm not sure what lake(s) you frequented in MN... but you may like Kerr Lake. I was never used to the more highly populated lakes in MN and so sometimes I feel a little "crowded" just being at the shoreline of Falls Lake and Jordan Lake. If you live in N. Raleigh, Creedmoor, Oxford, Wake Forest, Youngsville, or Rolesville, it's not a bad drive up to Kerr Lake at all. In the spring and fall, especially, it's easy to find a quiet spot. There are also several terrific lakeside camping sites up there. The water also seems "cleaner" but that very well could just be my personal perspective/ experience with the three lakes.
What about Lakes Mayo and Hyco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 11:04 AM

634 posts, read 912,340 times
Default Shearon Harris Lake

If you'd rather have a quieter environment, lots of coves, and a controlled lake level, try out Shearon Harris Lake.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:10 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingGuy View Post
Thanks for the info! I absolutely would have mispronounced.
"Kerr" is also the name of a local drugstore chain, also pronounced "Car".

Old 09-23-2010, 11:29 AM

148 posts, read 559,535 times
Fishing guy.....PM me and I can recommend a good website for some initial searching.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:14 PM

8 posts, read 14,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
"Kerr" is also the name of a local drugstore chain, also pronounced "Car".
So what I am hearing is that I need to enunciate words in the Raleigh area as if I was from Boston.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
So what I am hearing is that I need to enunciate words in the Raleigh area as if I was from Boston.
Just that one (please!)

Old 09-23-2010, 03:40 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowNC View Post
I am also a transplant here, originally from Minnesota -- welcome!

I'm not sure what lake(s) you frequented in MN... but you may like Kerr Lake. I was never used to the more highly populated lakes in MN and so sometimes I feel a little "crowded" just being at the shoreline of Falls Lake and Jordan Lake. If you live in N. Raleigh, Creedmoor, Oxford, Wake Forest, Youngsville, or Rolesville, it's not a bad drive up to Kerr Lake at all. In the spring and fall, especially, it's easy to find a quiet spot. There are also several terrific lakeside camping sites up there. The water also seems "cleaner" but that very well could just be my personal perspective/ experience with the three lakes.
By "cleaner", do you mean less clay? We can't get used to the murkiness of the waters here, after the crystal clear waters of the north.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:52 PM

124 posts, read 326,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
By "cleaner", do you mean less clay? We can't get used to the murkiness of the waters here, after the crystal clear waters of the north.
Well, I think there is just as much clay -- there really isn't a lake that's as clear as the spring-fed lakes in MN. There wasn't as much residue/ visible "crud" on the top of the lake as I've seen at Falls Lake. Not that Falls Lake is undesirable -- I just prefer Kerr Lake (I also don't live too far from it).

Again, not trying to give an expert opinion, because I haven't visited all areas of Kerr Lake (it's huge!), but it was just my impression.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:50 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
No, that would be cah.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:43 PM

205 posts, read 487,490 times
Village Lakes subdivision has some waterfront homes. They're small lakes, but do stock them every year, and boats without motors are cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary