Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:11 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Windows and doors cannot be left open while the monitor is testing for radon. The reason is that the test is to be done under "closed door conditions" so that you get worst case sanerio.

The inspectors that I know will post a notice on the door to let the homeowners know this. Of course, you can come and go as you normally would.

The homeowners are asked to sign paperwork, saying that they will not leave doors and windows open to influence the test. The monitor will detect if it is moved. The canisters will not. Currently, my inspector charges $109 for the radon test, using the monitor, if you are also having a home inspection.

Vicki
I know all of that and have heard over and over what is suppose to happen. However if you live out or state or not close by what stops the builder from opening second floor windows enough to vent the house? What stops a homeowner for opening the basement window? They aren't suppose to but a lot of things aren't suppose to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 10:30 PM

217 posts, read 445,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I know all of that and have heard over and over what is suppose to happen. However if you live out or state or not close by what stops the builder from opening second floor windows enough to vent the house? What stops a homeowner for opening the basement window? They aren't suppose to but a lot of things aren't suppose to happen.
The answer is nothing stops them from doing that. However, if it is a different temperature outside than what the machine is expecting it should detect that the temperature is out of range. If it’s the exact same temperature outside that the machine is expecting – I doubt it would catch that. I would imagine that the liability that the homeowner or builder would be open to if they did this (and were caught) would be substantial – especially if it caused a false reading of no Radon.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:08 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
The monitor does detect extreme changes, as well as movement.

Buyers tend to drive by the home quite often and would SEE if the windows and door were open.

Most people don't KNOW if they have radon unless they have tested so I'm not sure they'd think of doing what you are suggesting.

If you live in Wakefield, plan on having a mitigation system!

Vicki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post

Old 05-26-2013, 10:07 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times
I wanted to move this up because we are in the buying process and was informed by my realtor's office that a radon inspection had been scheduled and would cost us $125. When we moved here we bought the canisters at Home Depot, did the test for $15 or so, and all came out well. I I have to wonder -- should I be shelling out $125 for a radon test? Being hit with that, $450 in inspections and $75 for pest inspections, seems like a lot--I'm all for thorough inspections, and definitely will pay to get the job done-- but rates and results vary so much!

Old 05-26-2013, 10:21 AM

46 posts, read 91,162 times
Annesg, where did you end up buying?

Old 05-26-2013, 10:37 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
annesg,

I'm not a radon expert, but does your house have a basement? Generally (but not always), radon is highest when there are rooms underground. Where I moved from in Northern Virginia, radon levels are very high in many places plus most houses have basements, so it is very common to get a radon inspection done. We had it done when we bought out house in NoVA and it was found to have radon at a level of 4. We had it mitigated down to a 2.

It was a huge concern of mine, so when we bought here in Chapel Hill, I asked my realtor about it because she didn't mention it. She said she had only seen radon once in my development and it was in a house with a basement. Our house is actually built off the ground a bit, so we didn't even bother with the test.

Radon testing is something you can do anytime. Mitigation systems are about $800, I believe. Is that something you would not buy the house over or ask for the sellers to pay? If not, then you can always test it at a later time and mitigate if necessary. I would also ask the realtor and maybe some neighbors if radon is an issue in the area. Radon doesn't seem that common in Wake County according to this map: Radon levels for Wake County. Or here is an NC government site about radon: Testing Data. You can see it's much more common in the western part of the state.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:32 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,170,586 times
I have seen radon levels above 4.0 picocuries in all types of houses, slab, basement and crawlspace. That being said, high levels are much more likely in houses with basements or on concrete slabs. I have also seen high levels throughout Wake County. I've seen it in Cary, Morrisville, Holly Springs, Apex, Garner, Durham, Chapel Hill. There is a much higher chance of levels above 4.0 picocuries in areas north of the beltline but you never know for certain unless you test. The highest level I've ever seen was on Rock Quarry Rd.- over 140 picocuries.

In terms of testing, the canisters are accurate, however they won't provide you with any information other than the average level. They are also subject to abuse during real estate transactions as they can easily be placed outside without anyone's knowledge. I WOULD NOT use canisters for a real estate transaction unless you can absolutely control the environment. On the other hand, data logging machines can provide more insight in the event of any anomalies. For example: If the test shows levels of 3.5, 3.3,3.9, 4.0 and then 0.4,0.4,0.5. You know something happened during the test process such as the windows or doors being left open for extended periods of time.

In my opinion the $125 charge, would seem to be reasonable to me. Many inspectors charge $150 and some even more! Keep in mind they have to come back to pick up the machine or canisters (often at times that are not convenient and sometimes more than once if the seller or agent is not there to let them in-i.e. no show) Then they generate a report. Quite frankly, at $125, Inspectors don't really make enough money to make it worthwhile (which is the reason that many don't do radon testing). It is a service to the client's-not a profit center. In terms or remediation most systems (installed) will run $1200 and up.
The "Radon levels for Wake County" chart is somewhat useless. The only number that really matters is your own! I've seen two houses side by side where one has the problem and the other does not!

Old 05-26-2013, 03:09 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Given that I test radon often I will weigh in here with general info. Mitigation systems are between $1300 and $1800 on average. In certain areas of the triangle there is a significant chance of having elevated radon, in others virtually no chance. Basements and slabs are most susceptible.

The cost of testing is largely based on two factors; One, the machines we use are quite costly, and the other is the return trip to pick the unit back up, running it through software and writing the letter. Inspectors that still use the canisters charge the same price as well, and some even more. We stopped using them because someone can set it outside or open windows for the duration and no one will ever know. With the machines, it reads changes in atmospheric pressure, has a tilt sensor, and gives hourly readings so we can see any potential cheating.

Another thing to consider on cost in general for inspections, radon, etc is that the price also covers running the business; taxes, insurance, licensing, advertising, continuing education, membership dues, accountants, gas and car maintenance (we drive a lot of miles every year), and all that fun stuff. By the time we factor in the expenses on any of our revenue, we tend to pocket about 40-50% at best. If we clear $200-300 on an inspection/radon, that is not exactly a large sum for determining that virtually every single item in a house works or is installed correctly, and then writing a two hour report about it at night.

With that said, I certainly don't miss the 8-5 corporate world, and wouldn't trade back for twice the money lol.

Old 05-26-2013, 05:47 PM

Let me just add, or restate if I said so, how much I value the work inspectors do and consider a good inspection THE critical element of a house purchase--it can have all the right rooms and location and schools, but that doesn't matter if the foundation is crumbling. And I admit to NO expertise in the area! So I wanted to make sure I don't send out that vibe that it's all a racket, etc.

The radon test tripped me up I guess bc in every house I've ever bought they've used the canisters. And if I don't mind getting them, mailing them, and reading the report that gets emailed to me, why pay all that money? I don't think I realized there was a newer, more fail safe procedure.

That being said, the way the transaction is being handled, the sellers had a previous contract that fell apart on inspection. They fixed he big items. During our negotiations they offered a flat sum to us at closing for us to fix any other items not relating to the integrity and function off the house. Radon would fall under that--they would not pay to mitigate. We are still having another inspection of our own. We will still decide whether our inspection and the earlier one make the deal worthwhile to us. So I guess I have to decide whether I want to pay for the formal radon inspection or not since mitigation will come out of my pocket either way (though $1800 might be a tipping point forus, who knows).

Old 05-26-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisstheSea View Post
Annesg, where did you end up buying?
Well, in a rather compromise! (Gee, all those realtors on house hunters were right!). I don't even know what it's properly called but a local can help me out. Along Cary Parkway, *I think* just past high house toward downtown Cary, there is a large development from the 90s called Parkway....broken up into smaller units. No community pool, which stinks, but close proximity to the Y, Bond Park, excellent school assignments, and that lovely settled feel we were looking for. I love that there are sidewalks along the main streets so we can walk or drive as a family to dinner, for ice cream, that sort of thing. I think I can even bike to acupuncture with no large effort unless I'm ill!

Apparently I'm buying into a PUD, whatever that may be ��

Last edited by RedZin; 05-27-2013 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Can't link to realtor sites
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary