Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:30 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,367 times

Advertisements

From the perspective of an outsider (I don't live in Briar Creek, and I'm strait, but open minded), I'd say it's a non-issue, but that you are also picking the kind of neighborhood that is likely to be fairly conservative. I think that most people are right, you won't experience any "trouble", but it would not suprise me to find that some people will have absolutely ZERO interest in you. Maybe that's OK, but if you're looking for a place where you totally fit in, then I'd consider a more progressive community (Chapel Hill, Pittsborro, Five Points in Raleigh, and many, MANY other communities).

My only point is that if you are looking for a place where it's a "non-issue", then you have almost unlimited choices. If you are looking for a place that is more progressive, and where people will welcome you into their houses as "people", rather than "a lesbian couple", then you should flush out a little more info about Briar Creek before making your decision.

My opinion, and meant to be helpful. Hope it is....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 05:21 PM

397 posts, read 805,370 times
I've lived in B creek almost a year. And almost 10 years in the Raleigh area.

As others have said, it's a non-issue and most people really don't care. It's a term of how "friendly" you're talking about. If your looking for specific places that are gay only with other gay couples, then you might have to seek out specific clubs and communities.

I find people pretty tolerant in Raleigh. Lots of Northern folks- NY, PA, Jersey, ETC are now NC residents and that's a big factor. 3/4 of the people I run into in NC aren't locals. They moved here for new jobs, a good economy, great weather, reasonable housing & lower taxes. The NC area is hard to beat when you take all those things into play.

You could have more of a problem in the Deep South, as people are set in their ways more and there are less transplants there.

You should be fine here as long as you have reasonable expecations. The US has come a long way in the last 10-15 years with being more tolerant of the gay community.

And it will probably only continue to get better for everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary