Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 08:27 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times

Advertisements

The safest, best ideas:

- Keep calling Animal Control -- every day, every time the dogs bark for more than 20 minutes or half an hour. Dogs who bark too much, IMHO, are suffering. You, too, are suffering. It must stop. Just keep calling. Animal Control has more control than they wish to admit; they can go to a magistrate and ask that the dogs be declared a nuisance, and if the nuisance continues, the city can take the dogs and place them in the city shelter (and they will most likely be euthanized). MOST owners will do what they can to avoid this. As far as the intelligence of the magistrates, your success will depend on your city.

I've been told that one needs only a high school degree to be a magistrate in Durham, and yes, there are differences in how the details of justice are applied. In Raleigh, I have been told that most magistrates are former lawyers. (One more reason I prefer Raleigh.)

- The dog whistle. Hey, it's worth a shot.

- The "dog silencer" -- but only if you can get someone who isn't selling it and has used it and has said it worked for them.

- Move.

This stuff about "training" your neighbor's dogs is absolutely crazy. You spraying the dogs with water may result in your neighbor responding with deadly force; you just never know.

Good luck! I feel sorry for the dogs, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 08:44 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
The safest, best ideas:

This stuff about "training" your neighbor's dogs is absolutely crazy. You spraying the dogs with water may result in your neighbor responding with deadly force; you just never know.
No, it's not absolutely crazy. She's in a situation where the dogs are showing territorial aggression toward her and her family - calling cops and animal control hasn't worked, trying to work it out with the owners hasn't worked - the dogs are much more reasonable. With them, you're only dealing with instinctual behavior.

I'm not big on the water squirt because that really doesn't always work, especially when you've already got an antagonistic relationship with the dogs.

Why should she move?

Frankly, the dogs are going to be the easiest to deal with. She can win them over - I'm really OK with you not believing me about this, but I've done a lot of training with my dog and am sure of it. If she wants them to stop barking they can stop barking if they are worked with.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:47 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Additionally, the OP might want to contact the Coalition to Unchain Dogs, just for some tips about how to deal with these dogs. That group goes into the backyards of abused chained dogs every week, so I'm sure they can advise how to win these unchained dogs over.

(sorry, but I get annoyed when a clear solution is presented and it's pushed away for the more difficult solution)

Old 10-01-2010, 10:17 AM

569 posts, read 1,977,621 times
Here is a very good web site about dealing with barking dogs. Everything there is to know about chronic barking & how to stop it

Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
Here is a very good web site about dealing with barking dogs. Everything there is to know about chronic barking & how to stop it
Wow. What a great article. I feel sorry for neighbors of barking dogs. I was one once but it never was incessant. It figures in this day and age that the law would protect the abuser more than the abused. What a TIME CONSUMING PROJECT that article makes it sound like it is you must go thru just to get some peace and quiet and avoid your neighbor twisting everything around and sueing YOU. GEEZE! Talk about walking on eggshells!

I wonder how one who is looking to buy a house can find out about barking dogs near homes for sale they might be interested in (or is this yet ANOTHER crucial item that your realtor "isn't allowed to mention" to you)?

Old 10-02-2010, 09:57 AM

397 posts, read 805,053 times
Lots of pet owners are terrible people and they just don't care.

They value their dogs comfort and convenience more than people.

Sad, but true.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:09 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,548 times
Quote:
I wonder how one who is looking to buy a house can find out about barking dogs near homes for sale they might be interested in (or is this yet ANOTHER crucial item that your realtor "isn't allowed to mention" to you)?
One could call Animal Control and ask if there is a history of complaints for the nearby neighbors. Of course, it doesn't prevent a new neighbor with a barker from moving in in the future.

That YouTube idea (posting video online) is fantastic, especially if there is a HOA site where it can be posted.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:57 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
The barkingdogs.net site does not give very good advice at all. There is a lot of information there, but it's not good information.

It suggests you continue to harass your neighbor. It then admits the neighbor may call the police and have you arrested for harassment. Personally, I've avoided being arrested all my life and would not like to be arrested and assume most people have a similar goal.

It doesn't matter how friendly you are to dogs. If they see you, and have not been trained by their owner to do otherwise, they will bark, at least initially. It is instinctual. Owners would need to change the dogs' behavior, and of course, if they don't care if the dogs bark all day, they won't change anything.

Barkingdogs.net also suggests recording your own voice yelling and using it at the same level as the dogs. That's pretty insane. Your neighbor on the OTHER side of you will probably call the police on you.

There is a reason we pay taxes -- and that includes having the police and/or Animal Control handle the things that we are not able to handle.

I am a long-time dog owner (multiple dogs), and "training" a neighbor's dog is just nuts.

Once you notify the neighbor that the barking is unacceptable, and the neighbor makes no effort to change the situation, calling Animal Control repeatedly is the only way to go.

I have seen that approach work in real life in Raleigh.
You just have to keep at it until effective action is taken (a warning, a fine, a threat to remove the dogs, whatever). The "harassment" must come from Animal Control and NOT from you directly. You may need to go to Animal Control management to get the Animal Control officers to take stronger action.

Eventually, the dog owner will either keep the dogs inside or get rid of the dogs, because they will tire of the harassment from Animal Control.

Of course the "bark victim" neighbor shouldn't move. But moving is a better idea (more effective) than trying to train your neighbor's dog.

Dogs that stay outside all day and bark are usually not properly socialized. To train them properly, you have to establish dominance, and that just is not going to happen.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:58 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Wow. What a great article. I feel sorry for neighbors of barking dogs. I was one once but it never was incessant. It figures in this day and age that the law would protect the abuser more than the abused. What a TIME CONSUMING PROJECT that article makes it sound like it is you must go thru just to get some peace and quiet and avoid your neighbor twisting everything around and sueing YOU. GEEZE! Talk about walking on eggshells!

Dogs are not a protected class. Nor are cats.

It isn't possible for a Realtor to KNOW if a barking dog is living next to the house for sale. It is possible to SEE it and HEAR it if it is there while seeing the home.

It is always a good idea to go back to the home you are considering buying, at different times of the day. However, if there is no barking dog living next door and a month after you move in, your neighbors put their house up for sale and someone WITH a barking dog buys it, that is life.

And yes, I have actually had buyers that wouldn't consider a particular home because there WAS a barking dog or two, next door. So it does matter.

Vicki

Old 10-02-2010, 11:24 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
One could call Animal Control and ask if there is a history of complaints for the nearby neighbors. Of course, it doesn't prevent a new neighbor with a barker from moving in in the future.

That YouTube idea (posting video online) is fantastic, especially if there is a HOA site where it can be posted.
Good suggestion( about calling Animal Control to find out about complaints) and TRUE, I did think that there is always the possibility of a quiet neighbor moving or even getting dogs in the future but at least it would be nice to start out in a new home with out a dog barking problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary