Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 08:36 AM

93 posts, read 308,631 times

Advertisements

I second the rent for a year/6 mos. option.

There is so much going on in this area, why not take a while to learn about all of the different places once you are living here. Buying a house is big commitment before ever having lived here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 08:40 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
I wouldn't pick any of those three - Pekoe too close to NCCU, Roxboro for the same reason someone stated (near it is fine for me, but right on it I wouldn't like), and, I'm not all that into Cary except for the restaurants.

I agree that you should rent for a while and really get a feel for the area - it'll be MUCH easier to choose if you do.

If you do like that area of Durham near downtown, there are neighborhoods just off Roxboro that might be fine, like Old North Durham around Edwards Street. But if you're going back and forth between Cary and that area, I say you should rent for a while, since they are so different!

Old 10-02-2010, 08:58 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
It sounds like you haven't narrowed down an area, so how can you narrow down a home?

My suggestion would be to either come up for a week, look around, decide WHERE you want to be and then look at homes. You will understand the comments the posters have made, once you are here to SEE, in person.

If that won't work for you...I agree with the rent for 6 months. I wouldn't suggest you sign a 1 year lease. Right now, I'm working with 2 buyers that are trying to get out of their 1 year leases because they have found the homes they want to buy. It just doesn't take a year to figure out where you want to be.

You know yourself better than anyone. Is 6 months enought time? Too much time?

Vicki

Old 10-02-2010, 11:37 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVmommy View Post
It's not the same as being here but I found google maps very helpful - you can see train tracks from the satellite view if you zoom in all the way. And with street view you can see the neighborhood. Be sure to "walk" down the street and "look" at surrounding area. Again not the same as being here but might help you in narrowing things down. Good luck!
I use the "street view" as much as I can but it isn't available for everything unfortunately. Also some train tracks in some parts of the country aren't used anymore but I guess these are.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:52 AM

I'm worried about the economy and want to buy something before the dollar collapses or we have a currency change or something. I've spend a lot of money renting where I am now and originally I thought this would be where I'd want to buy. Now I know I miss being in a bigger city and I think a cooler climate is more healthful as well. I also hate moving and want to avoid having to move multiple times after already making one mistake. I'm not so far away that I won't drive up to see something really worthwhile. I just want to weed out the ones that aren't. I know what I want. I want something walkable or walkable to the FREE BUS at least (in preparation for what gas is $10 a gallon). I like Old West Durham or surrounding areas. However for safety reasons Cary was suggested. The other thing I want is to not me more than a few miles..five at the most, away from a Whole Foods store. The other thing is for Feng Shui reasons, the house has to face westerly. I can scope out properties that fit this profile but it is nice to get opinions from objective sources such as yourselves.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:56 AM

Also I already know about crime mappers etc but there are just as many crimes it seems in the "nice" neighborhoods in Durham as the not so nice. That is why I'm asking you guys for your opinions.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:03 PM

So I'd really appreciate it if you guys would humor me and just give me your opinions about specific areas since you live there... or should I start a new thread because now I don't need any more opinions about the initial three houses I started the thread with. I want to find out about other areas such as the 200 block of Markham St and Grove Park.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:24 PM

915 posts, read 2,381,626 times
The 200 block of Markham is in the Duke Park neighborhood, which gets a lot of good reviews. It is actually just a few blocks away from the park itself.

I would say this area is very walkable in terms of getting to the DAP/central park district, where some new stuff has sprouted up recently. Also, Durham Central Market, a new food co-op, is looking to open up at the corner of Mangum and Broadway, which is walkable from the 200 block of Markham.

Still, if you're from out of town, I would recommend renting for a few months before buying. Perhaps you should even get in to a weekly rent at studio hotel type get-up and check the area out.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
The 200 block of Markham is in the Duke Park neighborhood, which gets a lot of good reviews. It is actually just a few blocks away from the park itself.

I would say this area is very walkable in terms of getting to the DAP/central park district, where some new stuff has sprouted up recently. Also, Durham Central Market, a new food co-op, is looking to open up at the corner of Mangum and Broadway, which is walkable from the 200 block of Markham.

Still, if you're from out of town, I would recommend renting for a few months before buying. Perhaps you should even get in to a weekly rent at studio hotel type get-up and check the area out.
Thanks for the Duke Park info. That is helpful. Love the idea of that co-op being close by.

Another reason I can't very easily get away is that I have a special needs inside elderly Norwegian Forest Cat with a seizure/nervous system disorder (thanks to toxic veterinary treatments including a rabies vaccine I will NEVER have him get again) and kidney issues that needs a special holistic diet and natural supplements throughout the day. I wouldn't imagine short-term rentals would take a cat : plus I don't want to subject him to the stress of having to adapt to two new places and have his seizures start up again. When there is a reason (to see something worthwhile) I'll just do the 5 hour drive up see what I need to see for a few hours and drive back. Besides, what would I do with my stuff? Store it? I hate moving. I just want to move one time and get it over with.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:31 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
There are a lot of short term rentals that take a cat. I strongly, STRONGLY suggest you get a short term rental before buying. You will regret it otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary