Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:21 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times

Advertisements

...if you had to move and these were your only choices

Pekoe Street in the 900 block; lovely house built in the early 1900's with good space and nice finishes; lots of curb appeal lots of upgrades but needing more.... Seems pretty walkable although on the downside, I wonder about the neighborhood and safety.

N. Roxboro St in the 2600 block; brick house built in the 1940's with nice curb appeal similar interior with moldings and fireplaces(actually more dated kitchen and baths) than the one above. This one also seems walkable to Durham markets and restaurants but I wonder about the neighborhood and safety.

1200 Gatehouse Drive block, Cary: a smaller contemporary built in the late 1970s on a much bigger lot, neutral curb appeal, has a lot less character than the ones above but has a big deck the others don't have. Has more privacy. Not walkable to anything even in Cary but only a few miles drive to Whole Foods and Trader Joes. Supposedly this is the safest neighborhood of the three.

*N. Roxboro and Gatehouse are 2x as expensive as Pekoe. Pekoe has about 300 more heated living space than N. Roxboro and about 600 more than Gatehouse Drive in CAry.

Given all of the above which would you choose for: an overall combination of safety, walkability, resale? Wouldn't it be Pekoe since you are getting so much for half the cost? Isn't it a no brainer or am I missing something? What is Pekoe St like? (I live out of the area and can't "drive by" to see for myself so I need to use your eyes. Thanks in advance).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 07:33 PM

31 posts, read 39,233 times
Pekoe Street in the 900 block; lovely house built in the early 1900's with good space and nice finishes; lots of curb appeal lots of upgrades but needing more.... Seems pretty walkable although on the downside, I wonder about the neighborhood and safety.

N. Roxboro St in the 2600 block; brick house built in the 1940's with nice curb appeal similar interior with moldings and fireplaces(actually more dated kitchen and baths) than the one above. This one also seems walkable to Durham markets and restaurants but I wonder about the neighborhood and safety.

1200 Gatehouse Drive block

The Pekoe Street option is close to NCCU and that's where things start to get questionable.

The N. Roxboro St option is in a very congested area and safety can be an issue.

The 1200 Gatehouse Drive option is right next to the train tracks.

What's your reasoning for looking at these 3 options? They don't seem like chart toppers.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:41 PM

915 posts, read 2,382,531 times
Personally, I wouldn't want to live directly on Roxboro. There is a lot of traffic in that area, and it's been pointed out that the area near Club and Roxboro is responsible for a very disproportionate number of auto accidents.

I wouldn't be concerned for my safety in terms of crime, but I would be concerned about being able to walk around the neighborhood or even back out of my driveway at most times of the day.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwright View Post

1200 Gatehouse Drive block

The Pekoe Street option is close to NCCU and that's where things start to get questionable.

The N. Roxboro St option is in a very congested area and safety can be an issue.

The 1200 Gatehouse Drive option is right next to the train tracks.

What's your reasoning for looking at these 3 options? They don't seem like chart toppers.
Thanks. This is the kind of feedback I wanted. Since I'm not in the area I can't find these things out very easily. My realtor has nixed some listings I've asked about and thought I might like. I've not liked the looks of some listings he's suggested. I don't want to make a five hour drive up to see something only to discover fatal flaws about the location. These houses, the first two especially look so nice in the pictures and the third looked practical but I don't want to live by myself in a dicey neighborhood or live on a busy noisy street or have railroad tracks in my backyard.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Personally, I wouldn't want to live directly on Roxboro. There is a lot of traffic in that area, and it's been pointed out that the area near Club and Roxboro is responsible for a very disproportionate number of auto accidents.

I wouldn't be concerned for my safety in terms of crime, but I would be concerned about being able to walk around the neighborhood or even back out of my driveway at most times of the day.
Thanks. That is very helpful.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:47 AM

What about the area of 200 -300 block of Markham? Is this not a safe area either?

Other options I was considering are some houses in Grove Park but I wanted to avoid HOA fees if possible. So those are farther down on my list. Plus they aren't very walkable to any restaurants, cafes or grocery stores.Otherwise, does anyone have any comments about this neighborhood? I found their neighborhood website and they seem pretty strict about paying the HOA dues. It almost sounded as if you were locked out of the entire neighborhood if you were one day late paying your dues but I researched it and found they only lock you out of the pool if that happens. They demagnetize your key or something.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:00 AM

450 posts, read 1,350,756 times
It's not the same as being here but I found google maps very helpful - you can see train tracks from the satellite view if you zoom in all the way. And with street view you can see the neighborhood. Be sure to "walk" down the street and "look" at surrounding area. Again not the same as being here but might help you in narrowing things down. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2010, 06:13 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times
If you're interested in crime info....the below referenced sites can show you where and what type of incidents have been reported.......

Raleigh/Cary/Garner Police and Wake County Sheriff:
NewsObserver.com | Fact Finder

Durham:
Durham Police Department

Old 10-02-2010, 07:17 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
OMG. Cary. Hands down. Get a car.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:54 AM

156 posts, read 423,750 times
Emily, it might make more sense to find a rental for a year close to work/school. That way you can take time and explore the area to find what you like and where you feel safe. There are plenty of new homes and TH available as well. I have looked twice in Willow Spring, Clayton, Holly Springs and Cary and there are tons of choices in all price ranges. Good luck on your house hunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary