Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 02:20 PM

5 posts, read 306,355 times

Advertisements

We want to add a 12x14 screened porch with a gable roof off the back of our modest brick ranch home (which has a hip roof).
Simple porch but nice enough: beadboard ceiling, ceiling fan, ample outlets.
Builder plans to use a vinyl kit from Carolina Vinyl.
We want to pay a FAIR price but not overpay.

Can you provide guidance on appropriate square-foot cost?

Thank you!
dave
north carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 07:19 PM

797 posts, read 3,579,090 times
We had a 10 x 12 sq foot screen porch built in 2009 with just the type of finishes you want. We even had crown molding. Anyway, total price was 8K, including building the deck that the screen porch was on.

Thus, that was about $65/sq foot. Depending on heigh off ground, I would say you should look to pay $60-$70 a sq foot for everything being built de novo. Thus, I would look to be paying no more than 10K or so for a 14 x 12 screened porch. Thing is, ours was fully stick built using huge 6x6 posts. I am not sure how much the vinyl kit will change the total price, but it sounds cheaper. I would go with a stick built screened porch personally.

Oh yeah, if your deck is already there, expect to pay no more than about 6-7K for your screened porch. you pay anymore than that, then you are getting taken.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:56 PM

81 posts, read 279,548 times
I just had a contractor out yesterday. He quoted me $94 sq ft. This was for a 3 season room with 3 electric out lets and a ceiling fan. 16 x16 was approx $24,000....If any one could recommend a contractor it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:24 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
I just had a contractor out yesterday. He quoted me $94 sq ft. This was for a 3 season room with 3 electric out lets and a ceiling fan. 16 x16 was approx $24,000....If any one could recommend a contractor it would be greatly appreciated.
That's crazy! That should be the price to add an addition. . . not a screened in porch!

My wife and I are currently interviewing contractors for a new deck and screened porch. I'll post if I get anything worth mentioning.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:02 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
We recently completed a screened porch and after talking to three contractors we settled on a $75 sq ft price.
Lots of variables in terms of flooring options (pt wood, composite wood, tile, etc), lighting, finish materials, skylights, etc., etc. so its hard to price shop this in a web forum.

Frank

Old 10-04-2010, 05:00 PM

5 posts, read 306,355 times
Hey, everybody, I really appreciate this conversation.
The second bid I've received is $15,000 ($89/sq ft), which is $10K below the first sky-high bid.
I think this is a ridiculous way to do business, especially in this economy.
My research suggests that freshjiv has it about right for the fairly basic porch we're trying to build.
Thanks again: this was my first post; really like this.
david

Old 10-30-2010, 07:20 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I'll post if I get anything worth mentioning.
We received 2 bids. The first was for a deck and a porch, the second was just for the deck as we had decided against the porch by that time.

Bid #1: Deck + porch
Deck: Refurbish+upgrade to existing code for existing 12x14 deck and add an additional deck area of approx 480 sq ft. $11,200. Includes #1 kiln dried decking material, aluminum pickets for railing, and staining/painting. No lattice under deck.

Porch: Built over existing refurbished 12x14 deck. $7700 = approx $45/sq ft. Includes 2 outlets, floodlight, installation of ceiling fan, gutters, stain/paint. Thus, total cost for both jobs about $18,800.

Bid #2: Deck only
Deck: Tear down existing deck and build new 20x14 deck. $5800. Includes #1 kiln dried decking material, aluminum pickets for railing, and staining/painting. No lattice under deck.

So, it's hard to compare apples to apples. What we decided to do was go with contractor #2, but change his proposal to something more like contractor #1's. We'll refurbish the existing deck, add an additional deck (though smaller at approx 280 sq ft), and build a pergola over the existing deck for shade instead of a porch.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:42 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
We received 2 bids. The first was for a deck and a porch, the second was just for the deck as we had decided against the porch by that time.

Deck: Refurbish+upgrade to existing code for existing 12x14 deck and add an additional deck area of approx 480 sq ft. $11,200. Includes #1 kiln dried decking material, aluminum pickets for railing, and staining/painting. No lattice under deck.

Porch: Built over existing refurbished 12x14 deck. $7700 = approx $45/sq ft. Includes 2 outlets, floodlight, installation of ceiling fan, gutters, stain/paint. Thus, total cost for both jobs about $18,800.

Deck: Tear down existing deck and build new 20x14 deck. $5800. Includes #1 kiln dried decking material, aluminum pickets for railing, and staining/painting. No lattice under deck.

So, it's hard to compare apples to apples. What we decided to do was go with contractor #2, but change his proposal to something more like contractor #1's. We'll refurbish the existing deck, add an additional deck (though smaller at approx 280 sq ft), and build a pergola over the existing deck for shade instead of a porch.
I'd love to see how your pergola turns out! Are you going to cover your entire deck in a pergola or just part? I'm thinking of putting one over just one side o my deck. It would be a screen from the next door neighbors .... a little privacy but not as much as a screened in porch.

I really thought I had to have a screened in porch here. But living without one for 3 years now, I'm not sure I have to have it. We don't have many bugs where we are and I know I would miss the view of the moon from the back deck.

Good luck with your project.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:36 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
Quote:

Would you mind sharing the name of the contractor you decided to use?

Old 11-29-2017, 05:23 AM

1 posts, read 14,817 times
What is the typical price for a 25 ft by 14ft deck porch in closer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary