Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:51 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVmommy View Post
Right - the ops kids will go to middle school in the panther creek zone, not to their current middle school. And right too about no base assignments for elementary at least not at the moment.

And I agree with saucyaussie that it should take a few years, however I have the sense they're going to try to push it through asap.

Again, no they won't. We've never been in the zone that's now called Panther Creek, at least not for middle school. My point of my OP was that we were sort of getting the shaft twice--first, with busing that shipped our kids past 3 other middle schools to get to E. cary that was under capacity; now again by being left out of the whole zoning deal.

I don't think it will be a "few years" but I hope so. The original plan was for next year, now they're pushing it back a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
the whole plan may fall apart if Tedesco and Margiotta can't get Debora Goldman back on board to ensure they have a majority. According to the N&O front page today she is complaining that she is being cut out of the process and is threatening to vote against the student assignment plan.

So if the Vice Chairwoman of the Schools Board feels the process is secretive what chance is there for anyone else to understand what they are up to

A rift fractures the Wake school board's solid majority - Wake County - NewsObserver.com

She told me in an email that the decisions are made entirely by the subcommittee. I hope she votes against.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:00 PM

814 posts, read 2,006,289 times
Quote:
She told me in an email that the decisions are made entirely by the subcommittee. I hope she votes against.
Well, if it is like any other Commision/Council/Board, then an issue always gets sent to committee for that committee (only) to research, discuss and vote on what proposal it sends out to the larger Board/Commission. Then the whole Board/Commission can either ratify it, or change it and ratify it, or can it altogether. I am not a fan of the majority, but they are following usual protocol (on this at least). If it is a subcommittee, anyone can attend, but only the subcommitte members can vote. Now, if it is a big issue, the Chair can put it to a Committee of the Whole (the Raleigh City Council does this sometimes). But clearly, Margiotta wasn't going to do that.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:25 PM

91 posts, read 180,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
No, not true. They never did go in our zone--they have been assigned to E. Cary Middle since the school opened and parents at hte school have been lobbying the school board for ages to get them to move us someplace closer. Margiotta promised he would. They didn't. So, no, we are NOT going to middle school any where near us.
The goal of the plan is to have you attend schools in your zone and then in your region.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:32 PM

450 posts, read 1,350,056 times
Quote:
Again, no they won't. We've never been in the zone that's now called Panther Creek, at least not for middle school. My point of my OP was that we were sort of getting the shaft twice--first, with busing that shipped our kids past 3 other middle schools to get to E. cary that was under capacity; now again by being left out of the whole zoning deal.

I don't think it will be a "few years" but I hope so. The original plan was for next year, now they're pushing it back a year.

What makes you think that your kids won't go to middle school within the Panther Creek zone? What evidence do you have that you're staying at East Cary? I'm just trying to understand your situation, because it doesn't make sense within the context of my understanding of the plan. Of course, nothing about it really makes sense.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:41 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
It seems as if Ms Goldman is upset that she was not included as part of the subcommittee. It is not uncommon for boards to designate a subcommittee for a project.
I agree with others that she may be on a bit of a power trip. That's too bad.
At the end of the day, the others on the board will have their say regarding the subcommittees work. Ms. Goldman should focus a bit more on her own responsibilities.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVmommy View Post
What makes you think that your kids won't go to middle school within the Panther Creek zone? What evidence do you have that you're staying at East Cary? I'm just trying to understand your situation, because it doesn't make sense within the context of my understanding of the plan. Of course, nothing about it really makes sense.
Well, I DON'T know for sure--but I do know that looking on the maps, that's the way it reads (looking at the newest revised maps as well as the PDF text docs).

Old 10-05-2010, 05:59 PM

I really think that your node is only assigned to one zone - and you can find which one by looking up your node number here: http://www.wcpss.net/assignment-drafts/high-school-zones-v3/nodes-zones-regions.pdf (broken link)

Then look at this list to see the school choices in your zone: http://www.wcpss.net/assignment-drafts/high-school-zones-v3/schools-by-sample-current-hs-base-zone.pdf (broken link)

Granted, it looks like there's not a year round middle option in Panther Creek zone right now, so I'm not sure what that means.

I still think there will be lots of changes in order to provide calendar options and make the capacities work - at least I hope so. I'm actually very happy with my current zone, but not confident that it will "stick."

I'm curious as to what maps you're looking at that show different elementary vs middle vs high zones in the new plan. Our current base schools are in 3 different zones (one elem, one middle and one high), but my understanding of the new system is that we'll be in one zone (meaning our middle and high will change).

Old 10-05-2010, 06:22 PM

32 posts, read 84,565 times
Since this has all started, my zones have changed twice. I am just scared because my kids start kindergarten next year...not a good time to start- when noone knows what they are doing. I think this is only going to get messier..I just worry about my kids...ugh!

Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 PM

Ok so just heard that they scrapped the zones altogether at tonights meeting, so this whole thread is already obsolete. Looks like we're in for a ride. . . And a whole bunch of stressed out parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary