Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:53 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,202 times

Advertisements

On 9/29 WCPSS posted some new maps with revised information on them. I looked at them and noticed that despite the school board's pledge to 1) establish neighborhood schools and 2) stop bisecting neighborhoods, they had done NEITHER of these in my case. Our base elementary is in the Panther Creek zone (West Region); our base middle is in the Cary High zone, and our high school is Panther Creek. Thus, kids will spend 3 years in a different zone. Furthermore, my subdivision is STILL divided in half for elementary and middle schools.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'm not particularly in favor of the neighborhood schools plan (I would prefer they hadn't outright ditched the diversity plan), but it strikes me as pretty annoying that they haven't even done what they said they were going to do. As far as I could tell we're the only elementary in the West region that doesn't stay in zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 12:26 PM

450 posts, read 1,349,956 times
My understanding is that as of now, there won't be base schools, and your kids will go to the middle school in whichever zone your home address is in, not the zone where they currently go to school.

It's a big mess and I think it's only going to get messier before all is said and done. I'm all for transparency, but I think letting all us parents see the process in bits and pieces from the beginning without explaining to us how assignments are going to be made, choices granted, etc., is creating more problems than solutions. Maybe I'll be happy with the final product, maybe I won't, but I think it's better to not look until they have a plan they're actually proposing to the entire board.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:37 PM

306 posts, read 882,855 times
Annesg, how were you able to tell that your subdivision was cut in half? I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly, but I just saw a list of schools that go with each region, not a specific node to school list. Maybe I missed that list?

Old 10-05-2010, 12:54 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunadesign View Post
Annesg, how were you able to tell that your subdivision was cut in half? I'm not sure if I'm reading it correctly, but I just saw a list of schools that go with each region, not a specific node to school list. Maybe I missed that list?
You can find "Base Attendance Maps with School Locations and Zones" here .

Old 10-05-2010, 12:56 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVmommy View Post
My understanding is that as of now, there won't be base schools, and your kids will go to the middle school in whichever zone your home address is in, not the zone where they currently go to school.
Yes. you are right. EXCEPT in my current kids' elementary. Let's put it this way: our house is in the Panther Creek Zone. Our elementary school is in the Panther Creek Zone. Our middle school? In the Cary High zone. Seriously.

As for my 'hood being bisected, our n'hood currently is divided--some go to Cedar Fork, some go to Carpenter (as their base--this is NOT a calendar choice but a BASE ASSIGNMENT issue). That divide has continued. The middle schools are also different--one half to W. Cary Middle (in the Panther Creek Zone) and one half (mine) to E. Cary Middle (in the Cary High zone).

Have I explained it clearly? What I'm saying is that they have made two promises but haven't delivered. So my kids will go to middle school in a different zone with the small handful of at most the 19-20 kids they've known on their track during elementary. They will surely make new friends, but won't be going to high school with those friends--they'll be going to Panther Creek where all the kids have gone through elementary and middle school with a large cohort. Their middle school friends will all go to Cary High except for whomever is left from elementary school.

Our middle school assignment was always idiotic to me, a CLEAR case of just shoving kids wherever they would fit, but the so-caled neighborhood schools plan does nothing to help that.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:00 PM

306 posts, read 882,855 times
Thanks!

Old 10-05-2010, 01:48 PM

12 posts, read 33,668 times
Default Please help!!!

I can not figure these maps out! Can someone PLEASE tell me if my node is 398.4 what will be my base elementary, middle, & high school would be according to the new maps. I would really appreciate it!

Old 10-05-2010, 01:59 PM

91 posts, read 180,857 times
Actually no...your kids will go to the school in your zone. They will be grandfathered if they are currently attending...but if your zone is Panther Creek - your elementary, middle and high school will be in Panther Creek. The only guaranteed assignment is your High School. Every thing else with this plan will be lottery based.

Not exactly what we had in mind with community schools?

Old 10-05-2010, 02:02 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,150 times
I would it expect it to take several years for the neighborhood school plan to take shape.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:05 PM

5,742 posts, read 17,592,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LARRY2CARY View Post
I can not figure these maps out! Can someone PLEASE tell me if my node is 398.4 what will be my base elementary, middle, & high school would be according to the new maps. I would really appreciate it!
It's not really that difficult. . . . .

Find your node on the map. That node will be in a colored region called your zone. Now, open the document which lists schools for each zone. You should see a number of elementary schools. My understanding is that you would have a choice of any of those schools. How they decide who gets a particular school when one of them fills up. . . I don't know.

For example, my node is 447.1. It is in the Middle Creek zone. The elementary schools assigned to this zone are Banks, Middle Creek, and West Lake. Unfortunately, these are all YR schools. My understanding is that they need to provide a calendar choice for each zone, so perhaps I can expect more changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary