Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 05:44 AM

121 posts, read 430,038 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone.

We are buying a house in Youngsville, but unfortunately neither my husband nor I can get a cell signal there (he uses Verizon and I use AT&T). He's done some searches for a signal booster that can be installed in the home, but they range between 200-400 dollars.

Have any of you ever used a device like this? I have read some reviews online but would like to hear from people who actually live in the area (Wake Forest/Youngsville) before I buy something so expensive. Otherwise, we will have to get a landline. I haven't had one of those in years!

Also, why is there no signal many places up there? I've read on here that people around WF have problems getting cell reception. Are there fewer towers? I can drive over a mile away and get good signal, but don't have even one signal bar showing anywhere in my neighborhood.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 06:57 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,166 times
We haven't bought one of those devices since we went ahead and got landline anyway. There's no way we could've gone without one. The cell phone signal in our subdivision is absolutely horrible! I have Verizon and we were going crazy trying to make calls when we first moved in (we had to wait a week for our landline to be activated). Calls were constantly cutting in and out and getting cut off completely. It was so frustrating, especially when trying to set up a new household.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:02 AM

80 posts, read 343,203 times
Our AT+T account rep has told us that N of Youngsville/Franklinton is going to be updated to 3G in the next couple of months. That may help some of the reception problems?

This map should help give you an idea of what service is "supposed" to be in the neighborhood you are buying.

Cell Phones and Cell Phone Plans - Wireless from AT&T

Old 10-10-2010, 10:00 AM

242 posts, read 1,213,389 times
I know people that have the Verizon device and it works well. Its about $250 and is a 1 time charge (no additional monthly charges). However, it needs high speed internet service to work, in effect it routes cell calls over the internet to give you the localized extended cellular coverage. Therefore, its effectiveness is soley based on your internet service, not dependent on where you are.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba4life View Post
Our AT+T account rep has told us that N of Youngsville/Franklinton is going to be updated to 3G in the next couple of months. That may help some of the reception problems?

This map should help give you an idea of what service is "supposed" to be in the neighborhood you are buying.

Thank you. I looked at the map, and it confirmed that our house is in a "moderate" zone (Granville Co) but just over one mile away, in Franklin county, it's a "good" coverage zone (which is why I can drive down to that area and get 2 out of 3 bars of reception).

I hope the 3G upgrade does happen!

Thanks for the info!

Old 10-10-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dba4life View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy64 View Post
I know people that have the Verizon device and it works well. Its about $250 and is a 1 time charge (no additional monthly charges). However, it needs high speed internet service to work, in effect it routes cell calls over the internet to give you the localized extended cellular coverage. Therefore, its effectiveness is soley based on your internet service, not dependent on where you are.
I'll check on this. We do plan to have high speed internet. I haven't checked to see what's offered there--probably TWC.

Thank you!

Old 10-10-2010, 11:11 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I have found that sometimes there are places in the house that you will get a better signal!

It is an inconvenience but may be better than nothing! Walk around the house, keep dialing, see where you best spot is. Better than nothing!

Vicki

Old 10-10-2010, 02:15 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,592 times
We had a signal booster installed in our house 4 years ago when we first moved here. Our subdivision was a dead cell area and since we have to have our cells for work, we had the booster installed. It helps A LOT and was worth the money we spent.

Old 10-11-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I have found that sometimes there are places in the house that you will get a better signal!

It is an inconvenience but may be better than nothing! Walk around the house, keep dialing, see where you best spot is. Better than nothing!

Vicki
Vicki, unfortunately for us, it's the attic! Hubby found that by accident while up there with the house inspector. I tried it with my phone the other day because I needed to make a call, but mine won't work (AT&T). Only his Verizon service works in the attic

Old 10-11-2010, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
We had a signal booster installed in our house 4 years ago when we first moved here. Our subdivision was a dead cell area and since we have to have our cells for work, we had the booster installed. It helps A LOT and was worth the money we spent.
Thank you. It helps to know someone else has tried one and it works. It is expensive, but I figure over the long haul, it is less expensive than paying for a landline for years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary