Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:58 PM

35 posts, read 129,723 times

Advertisements

I'm from up north originally, where people get really dressed up for things. Consequently I frequently find myself way overdressed.
I got invited to go see Tosca over the weekend in Raleigh and I have no clue if I should break out the formalwear or what.

Please advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 02:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Overdressed is better than underdressed. "Formal" wear is not required or expected for the opera, though you wouldn't be the only one so attired if you did, and sometimes it seems we have fewer and fewer places to wear our nice clothes, so maybe you'd want to take this occasion. A suit or jacket/tie for a man would be fine, similar for a lady. Many will be there in "business casual" clothes, I suspect, but hopefully nothing "below" that.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:18 PM

754 posts, read 1,693,634 times
I appreciate your efforts gardenstategrrl. It's disappointing to go to a nice event or dinner dressed up only to find everyone in jeans. I would say dress to the nines. The heck with everyone else.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:24 PM

881 posts, read 2,254,056 times
I'd wear what you want, it seems like things are all over the place.

I actually last week went to a performance at the NYC Ballet and that same night they were having their fall gala. So many of the gala guests were very formal but those of us just attending the performance were wearing something more business casual or what you would wear to a wedding that's not black-tie. However, I did see about 4-5 guests wearing jeans...

Old 10-14-2010, 09:11 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,167,647 times
Most opera-goers in Raleigh do not wear formal wear. However, you will see a FEW all dolled up. Most people were dressy clothes, though. The last time I went to an opera at the Progress Energy Center, I wore a black cocktail length dress with satin shoes and a beaded handbag. Not formal wear, but not what I'd wear to work either. My husband wore a suit. We looked fabulous!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:32 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,715,503 times
Wear whatever you like. This is Raleigh not New York. There will probably be some people at both extremes of dress (jeans/tux), with most folks in the middle. Personally I'd wear business casual, especially for the Sunday matinee.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:51 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,954,604 times
Years ago a friend and I went to see La Traviata at the U of A music hall and we had always assumed that people dressed up to the nines for theses types of occassions. I got my hair done, bought a fabulous new dress (my friend did the same) only to arrive and 99% of people were in jeans and tshirts. It was quite disappointing. The opera itself was beautiful and a great experience, but I wish more people had dressed up.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:08 AM

355 posts, read 958,206 times
JERRY: Get in here... How come you're not dressed?
KRAMER: I am dressed.
JERRY: You're going like this?
KRAMER: Yeah. Hey I want you to hear something.
JERRY: I thought you said people dress up when they go to the opera!
KRAMER: People do, I don't.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:44 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,588 times
A few years ago, I sang in the chorus with Opera Co. of NC. I saw some people "dolled up", but most were dressed in "church clothes". (I'm old enough to remember when that meant "dress, hose, heels, suits, etc. That's not so much the case these days!)

Old 10-16-2010, 07:36 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
I'm glad this question was asked since I have always been curious since one day I intend to attend an event like this although it will be a big step for me. I have always wondered why people got dressed up to go to an event like an opera. The performers are getting payed by me to put on a show. Why should I have to dress up for them? Being in a suit isn't very comfortable and if I'm paying bookoo bucks to watch a performance I'd want to be comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary