Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 05:09 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times

Advertisements

Well, without knowing how much you can afford, it's impossible for us to say whether your dream is possible. The best thing you can do is contact a realtor and let them do some searches for you.

I will say, though, that The Triangle is a rapidly growing region, so developers are snapping up a lot of land out there. That doesn't mean that your dream is impossible, though. I can't think of a single plot of land that large that is close to museums and good shopping and a Starbucks, but I'm not a realtor, either! Mike is, though, and if I were you, I'd definitely take his post to heart.

Decide what compromises you're willing to make. Define what "close" means to you (within 20 minutes? 30?). Be as specific as possible, decide what you need versus what you simply want, and go from there. Good luck!

Last edited by MrsSteel; 07-04-2007 at 05:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 05:33 PM

12 posts, read 28,616 times
Default Re-thinking the acreage

Perhaps I'm not being specific enough about my needs and making a 10 acre generalization is probably overkill. I would like privacy and either a pond or stream in my backyard (even a small spring would be OK). Why move to the country if it doesn't feel like it. How are some of the planned & gated communities in this regard (don't need over 55). But still want convenience to airport, shopping, restaurants - and yes, Starbucks.
Anyone have any thoughts???

Old 07-04-2007, 05:40 PM

12 posts, read 28,616 times
Default No agent yet

I don't have anyone I am working with - I have been "surfing the net" to get a "feel" for the "Triangle". Perhaps you can give me some insights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I understand about the $20 million. Me neither...

You will not find a morning starbucks convenient to $6000/acre land.

Your agent should be able to map the properties for you and give you a little breakdown on the properties.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:29 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiceki View Post
Why move to the country if it doesn't feel like it
But aren't moving the country.....you want 20 mintues to the urban center.

Raleigh is Southern...but the entire South is not 'country'.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:52 PM

265 posts, read 1,292,595 times
Default We found 9 acres under an hour to RTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiceki View Post
Perhaps I'm not being specific enough about my needs and making a 10 acre generalization is probably overkill. I would like privacy and either a pond or stream in my backyard (even a small spring would be OK). Why move to the country if it doesn't feel like it. How are some of the planned & gated communities in this regard (don't need over 55). But still want convenience to airport, shopping, restaurants - and yes, Starbucks.
Anyone have any thoughts???
Well, I can tell you that my partner and I wanted something similar--not so much Starbucks per se (although, yes, I do worship at that temple!), but well under an hour to RTP and with close to 10 acres. We looked at all properties available in that range, over the late winter/early spring, pretty much making a complete 360 degrees around RTP. We ended up with a sublime 9 acres in Siler City. It's a far cry from Boston where we live now (until Friday!), with the full range of restaurants nearby and lots of Starbucks, but it's a trade-off we're very excited to make. We closed almost three weeks ago and I'm still pinching myself. And the best part is that it cost less than $50k more for three times the square footage and all that land!! Under an hour feels very do-able for a more urban experience, particularly when days will begin/end in what feels like a true sanctuary! Oh, and there's a river within walking distance...I'd suggest working with a realtor--there are several on here who seem to be highly recommended--and specify your criteria. They can work with your requirements and price range and make suggestions that lead to lots more than your online searches...Good luck to you!

Old 07-04-2007, 07:58 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
I've been driving around Orange County around the Efland area looking for land. I am looking at a few lots in the $40K range that are 1-4 acres myself. But while driving around, I did stumble across two different 10+ acre communities with lots for sale in this area. I would guess they are like 10K per acre. One community was called McGowan Creek and the other was Triple Creek Farms. This area is convenient to Hillsborough, Chapel Hill, and Durham rather than to Raleigh. It might be around 30 min to the airport since it's a pretty straight shot on 40.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:04 PM

5 posts, read 8,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I've been driving around Orange County around the Efland area looking for land. I am looking at a few lots in the $40K range that are 1-4 acres myself. But while driving around, I did stumble across two different 10+ acre communities with lots for sale in this area. I would guess they are like 10K per acre. One community was called McGowan Creek and the other was Triple Creek Farms. This area is convenient to Hillsborough, Chapel Hill, and Durham rather than to Raleigh. It might be around 30 min to the airport since it's a pretty straight shot on 40.

I can vouch for the commute time...I live on an acre on the eastern side of Mebane - basically in between these two communities (probably closer to McGowan Creek). I used to commute to Cary (Harrison Ave), just a few exits from the airport and it took me 40 minutes. The plus side of living here is that you have two highways to choose from to go to work...I-40 and the Durham Freeway (I grew up there and can never remember the highway number...147?)...very convenient when you know I-40 has construction going on or there's a wreck - just choose the other route and the regular commute time is the same.

I've been watching both of these communities and will say that McGowan Creek has a stream going through all of the properties...and they range from 10-20 acres. I think the more expensive ones are still available (of course), but I think they might be about 10K an acre. There were others cheaper than that, but they've been sold already. (Covenant states 2200 sq ft house or a 2000 sq ft ranch...)

Triple Creek Farms is gorgeous, but a little further out (probably 10 more minutes from the highway). I'm not sure about the covenants there. I just drove in the neighborhood today and saw that they are opening up more land and noticed there is a pond there).

Starbucks? Not in Mebane, but there are 2 local coffeeshops, I think, and the town has been growing rapidly recently.

Just search realtor.com and filter for your maximum price, check land only and see what you get! Most of the cheaper land is either north of Durham, as one person posted, or quite a bit more than 30 minutes from the airport. I've seen land in Johnston County, Wilson, Oxford, etc. Another useful site is carolinaforestry.com. It doesn't list all land for sale, just what they have, but it gives you an idea.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:26 AM

374 posts, read 1,598,708 times
my guess would be in someplace like Garner or south of the city. That seems to be more "rural" but still within driving distance of malls and stuff. Try that area. I think north of the city you will pay a lot for 10 acres. Or maybe Northeast might be better priced...Rolesville towards Youngsville.
Good Luck!!

Old 07-05-2007, 06:49 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
[quote= (Covenant states 2200 sq ft house or a 2000 sq ft ranch...).[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that the home you build there can only be that square footage? I am totally confused!

Old 07-05-2007, 07:45 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Are you saying that the home you build there can only be that square footage? I am totally confused!
Those will be minimum sizes, 2200 SF two story, or 2000 SF minimum ranch home.

Available 10 acre lots in Triple creek are listed at $112,000 and $119,000.

McGowan Creek properties start a $110,000 for 10.63 acres and go to $210,000 for 28+ acres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary