Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 05:37 AM

271 posts, read 700,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Just curious.. should any event where thousands and thousands of people attend not serve alcohol?
No.....but this thread is abut the state fair not any "other" event
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 06:38 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
In retrospect, I admit saying saying alcohol being served at the State Fair would be "a disaster" is over the top. That being said, I still think it is a bad idea. Mainly because it creates an unnecessary liability while not adding much value. Anybody who has ever worked in a bar or restaurant knows how oftern these businesses get sued by somebody who leaves the establishment and gets in a car accident after having just one drink - if it isn't the customer suing, it is the peson they hit. Not serving alcohol removes this liability and the associated insurance costs all together. And according to WRAL news "The fair attracted record crowds on both Thursday afternoon – the preview day – and Friday, drawing more than 77,000 visitors that day". So it doesn't look like the lack of offer alcohol is keeping people away.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:10 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,634 times
lmfao. i dont know if you meant that to be sarcastic or not but i found it a really funny response!

i think i'd like local beers and wines to be able to be presented, but holy crap what a mess that'd be with the fried food and rides and crowds.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:14 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Why not join us at the meet-up today. We can indulge in a few refreshments and head on over to the fair for a few Krispy Kreme burgers...

OMG...I am out of rep points...how did I use up all my rep points???

Old 10-17-2010, 08:33 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
It was 2 percent sarcastic, 98 percent real. I have nothing against drinking or even drinking at fairs. (I'd rather not see it at the NC fair, though.)

But I do know that some people addicted to alcohol get really bent out of shape when they can't have it at their fingertips.

And the thought of someone sitting in the parking lot of the NC fair "tailgating" -- come on, that's just plain pitiful.

Y'all have fun at your meetup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
lmfao. i dont know if you meant that to be sarcastic or not but i found it a really funny response!

i think i'd like local beers and wines to be able to be presented, but holy crap what a mess that'd be with the fried food and rides and crowds.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 10-17-2010 at 09:22 AM..

Old 10-17-2010, 09:13 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Just curious.. should any event where thousands and thousands of people attend not serve alcohol?
The NC State Fair is about celebrating North Carolina's rich history of agriculture, not boozing.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:39 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
The NC State Fair is about celebrating North Carolina's rich history of agriculture, not boozing.
Wouldn't growing grapes and producing wine be considered part of NC agriculture?

"North Carolina is the home of our nation's first cultivated wine grape: the scuppernong. Although muscadines thrive in the piedmont and coastal plain of all southeastern states, only North Carolina claims the original native scuppernong as its own. The scuppernong is the state fruit of North Carolina."

NC Winery History | North Carolina Department of Commerce

Seems a shame that you can't sample some home-grown wine at the fair... but at least you can eat all manner of deep fried foods!

Old 10-17-2010, 09:45 AM

345 posts, read 1,059,893 times
The wineries, breweries and other things alcohol related are part of the agricultural culture of NC. NASCAR would likely not exist, if not for moonshine, and it generates a ton of money for the state.

That being said, I think they should have competitions for state breweries and wineries, but don't necessarily think they need to serve it. It would be tragic to have someone hurt or killed because of a drunk driver in fair traffic. It's tough enough to get around there as is.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:57 AM

297 posts, read 740,268 times
I was at the NC State Fair yesterday and I saw wine on display with ribbons, so attention is paid, however small, to NC wineries. There were hand-written labels and all.

We were there all afternoon and into the evening, leaving just after fireworks. It was a gorgeous day and lots of fun, but the midways and concourses were all super crowded. As careful as I was when walking with the crowd, there were still times I was jostled or jostled others, cut them off, etc. without trying. I was holding hands with one small child and sometimes two. I can only imagine, as the evening wore on, the problems that crowd jostling would create if there was alcohol involved. Overall, I agree that it's not the best idea.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:09 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,894,691 times
There are state fair competitions for the wineries
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary