Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 12:05 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,389 times

Advertisements

We are heading up to Statesville this weekend for the hot air balloon festival. We have a few hours Sunday morning before heading home. Our daughter would like to see the Biltmore Estate, but we don't have the time to really explore to justify the admission fee.

My question is, can you drive through the estate to just see the house from the outside? Maybe wander some of the gardens or shops? Or do you have to pay the admission in order to even drive in that close? I've looked at the website, but can't find the answer! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 12:22 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,708 times
You will not be able to see the house at all without paying. IIRC there is a gate well before the house you must go through with your admission ticket. Even making it to the parking you cannot see the house. You have to walk a trail to it, which is quite a lead in as once it appears the view of it is amazing!

Old 10-17-2010, 12:29 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,389 times
Thanks! I guess we'll save that for another weekend when we have more time!

Old 10-17-2010, 12:40 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
it is well worth the admission just to see the gardens alone. We aplurged one time to stay at the Grove Park Inn only to get a room next door to a screaming infant!!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 06:16 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
You really want to set aside a full day for a good tour.

It is a fascinating estate, and a glimpse at a lifestyle few can imagine.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:46 AM

532 posts, read 2,844,820 times
If you are a AAA member, contact them about discount tickets. You can pay for and pick them up at AAA, but you will still need to make a reservation through Biltmore for an entry time.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:18 AM

492 posts, read 1,151,979 times
I guess I am the only one that didnt really care for Biltmore. It was so pretentious and obnoxious to see all the over-the-top stuff. Yes, the house is big, big deal. My fave part was the basement with the servant quarters, laundry, kitchen and recreation facilities. We were there Oct 8 and the gardens were ok, but not outstanding, must have been in between plantings or end of season. The Deer Park buffet for lunch was awful, food not fresh or delicious in any way. Skip it!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:28 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoskiesNC View Post
I guess I am the only one that didnt really care for Biltmore. It was so pretentious and obnoxious to see all the over-the-top stuff. Yes, the house is big, big deal. My fave part was the basement with the servant quarters, laundry, kitchen and recreation facilities. We were there Oct 8 and the gardens were ok, but not outstanding, must have been in between plantings or end of season. The Deer Park buffet for lunch was awful, food not fresh or delicious in any way. Skip it!
I understand the "...pretentious and obnoxious..." and don't recommend the visit to admire or to hope to emulate the lifestyle.

But I also know that the Vanderbilts gave up the core land holding, about 90,000 acres, that became Pisgah National Forest, and also helped attract tourism to the Asheville area.
And I know that the estate represents some irreplaceable history.
I don't care for the carny stuff that has popped up in the last 10-12 years, but they have bills to pay too.

Cool thing about North Carolina?
"From Murphy to Manteo," there is something for just about anyone!

Food? Yeah, it is hit or miss anywhere.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:00 AM

804 posts, read 2,003,761 times
i agree it's become a bit over-commercialized in the past few years especially, but we've always enjoyed our trips there when we've gone. there's a ridiculous amount of things to see & do when there, meaning it's definitely a full day's trip.

i also second the motion for AAA tickets. the price of admission is pretty steep but you get a lot more bang for you buck with it then with some other places (plantations, etc.) where i've been.

as for food, the stable café was fresh & tasty when we last went. i had the chili sweet potato salad as a side when i went last & i'm still trying to recreate it as it's fabulous. some of the other areas have pretty bland typicaly concession-stand food. but the handmade ice cream is delicious. peach was out of this world when i had it.

now i want to go back.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:43 AM

2,110 posts, read 2,725,190 times
I went to the Biltmore Estate a couple of months ago. I chalked it up to a "been there, done that" thing. As far as I'm concerned it was way overrated and overpriced. I wouldn't waste my time.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary