Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2007, 12:08 PM

16 posts, read 41,510 times

Advertisements

hi:
Which direction Raleigh is growing? (besides Durham area)
Any growth between Charlotte and Raleigh (diagonal)
Are there exclusive neighborhood? Which area has the least crime?
I appreciate members feedback.
We are debating to relocate between Charlotte and Raleigh.
My husband thinks Charlotte is better as it is a big financial center.
Thanks
Judy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 12:39 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,711 times
There are lots of places growing between the two cities(Burlington,greensboro, Highpoint,Winston Salem, Kernersville,ect)but the big deciding factor would be where are your jobs going to be?

Old 07-05-2007, 04:42 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,572 times
Default Raleigh

Raleigh is growing in all directions, really. It has become a huge growth center. There is a lot of development toward Durham, Wake Forest, Louisburg, Knightdale, Smiithfield, Garner, and Cary. Those towns pretty draw a circle around Raleigh, and Raleigh is growing to fill in all the gaps.

Charlotte has some more upscale feel to it, in some respects. It is larger, is a banking center, and home to an NFL and NBA franchise. Raleigh has college sports and an NHL franchise.

My understanding, though, is that the economy is doing better in Raleigh; and I would expect it would continue to do so.

If you are able to come up some more specific questions, maybe some folks can have more input.

fwiw,
Mike

Last edited by Mikeheel; 07-05-2007 at 04:55 PM..

Old 07-06-2007, 03:56 PM

16 posts, read 41,510 times
It has been my dream to buy a lake home affordable. I know lake homes are expensive, therefore I am looking for the smallest house, but on the main channel in the most expensive neighborhood.
Which area in Raleigh and which area in Charlotte I can at least take a peek.
This site is wonderful as people give their genuine views. Only people who live there can give very helpful information. I plan to visit charlotte and Raleigh in the 2nd week of September. I welcome all your responses.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:06 PM

577 posts, read 1,901,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by search4ps View Post
It has been my dream to buy a lake home affordable. I know lake homes are expensive, therefore I am looking for the smallest house, but on the main channel in the most expensive neighborhood.
Which area in Raleigh and which area in Charlotte I can at least take a peek.
This site is wonderful as people give their genuine views. Only people who live there can give very helpful information. I plan to visit charlotte and Raleigh in the 2nd week of September. I welcome all your responses.
The raleigh area big lakes are surrounded by NC Game lands and have not allowed development on the water, If you head North of Raleigh about 55 minutes You have lake Gaston and Kerr res which do allow homes on the water and yes they have become expensive and are still quite isolated as for as living out there year round. Now Charlotte(Mooresville) has lake Norman which is very developed and you are right in the middle of every thing. again very expensive but lots of condos and small homes on the water that might work for you. Have you thought of Newbern, It sits on the Trent and Neuse River, Trent is a little more expensive then the neuse land but much cheaper then Norman. Lots of water and puts you about a hour from the beach as well. Newbern is starting to shape up still has a ways to go,but I think it would be a good future investment if they get tough on the river pollution up stream. Other lakes with homes but smaller are Oak hollow in Highpoint High rock lake, Badin, Fontana which is real nice in the western part of the state, Good luck and never give up on your dream.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:45 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,969 times
You should visit both cities and then you'll "feel" which city is for you. Charlotte is bigger, however I feel that it's more country, mountainy, deeper south in flavor. Raleigh seems more like cities in the mid-atlantic states to me. (VA, Maryland)

Charlotte tries so hard to bill itself as a "world city" which inturn has only emphasized the cosmopolitan qualities which it lacks. It'll always be runner-up to Atlanta. Charlotte also ranks #1 in the nation for ketchup and SPAM consumption.

Raleigh has always been understated which I think adds to its appeal. It's an appropriate capitol city for NC because it's merely an overgrown small town like the thousands across the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary