U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 04:27 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,701,766 times

Advertisements

I see that the roadworks for the 'at grade' railroad crossing associated with the Morrisville Parkway extension have concrete traffic islands that mean in future it will not be possible to go directly down Carpenter Upchurch Road when going to / from Morrisville Carpenter and High House. The way the road has been set up takes you onto Morrisville Parkway so either a U-turn required on go via Louis Stephens. Must be a nuisance for people driving to Green Hope High School.

Anyone know why this is? seems rather unnecessary to me but I'm sure there must be a good reason for this setup. It can hardly be the number of trains on the line to Apex as thats about 3 a week.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 06:02 PM

21,207 posts, read 32,028,738 times
Do you mean going southbound on Carpenter Upchurch if you are coming from Morrisville Carpenter? I haven't checked it out in over a week or so.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:43 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,361,205 times
I think I need a diagram.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:27 AM

379 posts, read 910,115 times
I sent an email inquiry to the Proj. Mgr @ TOC on this.

When I get a reply I will post it here. I emailed him last week to inquire when the road would open, as it has been delayed from the original date. I was told they are hoping by the end of this month.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:41 AM

Email reply from Project Mgr. @ TOC
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:48 AM
Subject: RE: Intersection Information

Effective in November, drivers will be able to access NC 55 and Louis Stephens Drive via Morrisville Parkway thanks to a fully functional at-grade railroad crossing. With this opening, a new traffic pattern will permit a right-in, right-out only option for drivers on Carpenter Upchurch Road approaching Morrisville Parkway. Drivers should note the new traffic pattern designed to facilitate better traffic flow near the railroad tracks. Eastbound drivers on Morrisville Parkway will be able to turn left or right onto Carpenter Upchurch Road; westbound drivers on Morrisville Parkway will be restricted to a right turn only option at Carpenter Upchurch Road. The remaining extension project from Davis Drive to Louis Stephens Drive is set to be completed by Winter 2010. Learn more about the infrastructure project at Morrisville Parkway Extension at www.townofcary.org.
Have a great day,

Eric W. Simpson, P.E.
Town of Cary - Traffic and Transportation Engineering Group

Old 10-21-2010, 10:04 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,701,766 times
Thanks for posting the email which basically confirms that you cannot drive from Morrisville Carpenter to High House anymore along Carpenter Upchurch Road. I wonder why they designed the interchange of CF and MP so complex? Surely a set of traffic lights would have made it easier and eliminated the need for a one mile detour around Louis Stephens . As I said in the orginal post it's not as if there are that many trains that use the rail tracks so that can't be the reason.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:45 AM

259 posts, read 596,580 times
Any traffic engineer can tell you that traffic lights on both side of railway crossing is disaster waiting to happen. Wasn't there a train accident on McCrimmon just recently. What DOT is doing is essentially closing the carpenter side of Jenks-Carpenter road for commuters and starting to isolate Carpenter historic area. North-south commuter traffic will use Rt55 or Louis Stephens instead of jenks carpenter. Which if you think about it makes more sense. I used 55-MC-jenks carpenter to get to stone creek all the time. I will use 55-MorrisvillePkwy-Jenks carpenter.

I can't wait to see CFS widened and Morrisville parkway reach GLC road

Old 10-21-2010, 07:00 PM

3,356 posts, read 3,603,152 times
The railroad line that runs parallel to NC 55 has a 10 mph speed limit and hosts only one freight train a day in each direction.

The railroad line that runs parallel to NC 54 between Durham and Cary has a 79 mph speed limit and hosts three passenger trains and two to four freight trains a day in each direction.

I can see careful design for the latter, but not for the former.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:40 PM

Default News Alert from TOC: Morrisville Parkway Extension due to open

Town of Cary Opens Portion of Morrisville Parkway Extension Project

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 4, 2010
Town of Cary Opens Portion of Morrisville Parkway Extension Project At-grade Rail Crossing Connects NC 55 and Louis Stephens Drive

Effective November 9th, motorists will be able to access N.C. 55 and Louis Stephens Drive via Morrisville Parkway thanks to a fully functional at-grade railroad crossing. Drivers should note the new traffic pattern is designed to facilitate better traffic flow near the railroad tracks. With this opening, a new traffic pattern will permit a right-in, right-out only option for drivers on Carpenter Upchurch Road approaching Morrisville Parkway. Westbound drivers on Morrisville Parkway will be able to turn left or right onto Carpenter Upchurch Road; eastbound drivers on Morrisville Parkway will be restricted to a right turn only option at Carpenter Upchurch Road. In addition, a signal activated to flash on November 2 at N.C. 55 and Morrisville Parkway will go into full operation after the morning commute on November 9. The entire extension project from Davis Drive to NC 55 is set to be completed by Winter 2010. Learn more about the infrastructure project at Morrisville Parkway Extension at www.townofcary.org or call (919) 469-4030.
View a map of roads in Cary by ownership, and for real-time traffic updates, visit wink.townofcary.org and follow the Town of Cary on Twitter @TOC_Traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary