Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2007, 04:31 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,752 times

Advertisements

With persistant droughts in So. Cal. and the SE US, how is the Triangle Area doing this year? Here in Texas and most of the midwest we are having a very wet summer which is absolutely not normal. I worry about moving to an area that may one day run out of water (I've always said that God never intended human beings to live in the desert areas like most of AZ, NM, NV etc. but these days it seems the problem is spreading.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 04:36 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
With persistant droughts in So. Cal. and the SE US, how is the Triangle Area doing this year? Here in Texas and most of the midwest we are having a very wet summer which is absolutely not normal. I worry about moving to an area that may one day run out of water (I've always said that God never intended human beings to live in the desert areas like most of AZ, NM, NV etc. but these days it seems the problem is spreading.)
I am also in Houston and we can do without all this rain.....last summer it was very hot in Raleigh; I remember much of August was actually hotter than Houston with about the same humidity.

Raleigh is about as far inland from the Atlantic Coast as Huntsville is from the Gulf in Texas. There is still a lot of sticky air.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:45 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
I read this article yesterday and had the same thought. The graph included in the article indicates North Carolina as being in a moderate drought situation -- not as critical as some of the other states mentioned.

Drought Saps the Southeast, and Its Farmers - New York Times
Drought Saps the Southeast, and Its Farmers

Old 07-05-2007, 06:03 PM

23 posts, read 80,675 times
Drought or no Drought, my lawn looks like a hash brown.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:43 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
The Raleigh area just recently instituted mandatory water restrictions for lawn irrigation, so there are moderate drought conditions in the area at this time.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:55 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
So far, (knock wood) July has been nice!!! Last year July seemed to be VERY hot, dry and hot and very hot! My kids didn't really want to go outside at all and play.

I know this upcoming week is suppose to get there with heat indexes above 100, but July tends to be the hottest dryest month here every year (or so the electric company tells me when I call to complain about how my bill is now 100 dollars higher!)

Leigh

Old 07-06-2007, 06:02 AM

31 posts, read 81,793 times
Default recovering houstonian

I've been here for five weeks and I gotta tell ya...THIS IS NOTHIN!!! Heat? What heat? Houston felt like the Congo to me. It feels like summer here. It is hot when I'm standing in the sun at noon...but the humidity hasn't even come close. I rarely turn on my car air conditioning...I comfortably ride with the windows down.
And after a week of temps in the 90's...there will be a couple of days that are much cooler.
Huge difference.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:54 AM

56 posts, read 185,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo girl View Post
I've been here for five weeks and I gotta tell ya...THIS IS NOTHIN!!! Heat? What heat? Houston felt like the Congo to me. It feels like summer here. It is hot when I'm standing in the sun at noon...but the humidity hasn't even come close. I rarely turn on my car air conditioning...I comfortably ride with the windows down.
And after a week of temps in the 90's...there will be a couple of days that are much cooler.
Huge difference.
Couldnt agree more. Lived near Houston for over 35 years. Lived here in NC for over 1 1/2 years. Last summer did have it's heat at times. I'll take a few days even a couple weeks vs. several months. With the exception of a couple nights, most evenings it cools down and it's nice to sit outside on the porch and relax without sweating your tail off and feeding mosquitoes. We are about to hit a couple weeks of good heat. But it doesnt last long. Maybe I'm just used to it.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:52 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
The mosquitoes at my folks home in NC were really not bad at all over the July 4th holiday. And even the temps were nice at night which is unusual. Usually the air is thick with humidity but this year was amazingly nice. Today was hot but still hasn't been quite as bad.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:01 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
This summer has actually been pretty mild for the most part. Last week was particularly nice for July with relatively low humidity. But I understand the thermostat is cranking back up next week back to horrid July temps. Actually, August is usually worse in NC than July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary