Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 07:52 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times

Advertisements

HOA prohibit bermuda? That is hilarious. There is no way you can keep it out of your neighborhood now. Sounds like the HOA needs to wake up and smell reality. Plus Bermuda, depending on the house orientation and sunlight, is MUCH better suited for the area. Fescue works well if you have shade for most of the day but with 99% of tract homes having no shade the sun kills it.

The only real "organic" way of removing bermuda is to dig down about 5 feet and remove all the soil. But it'll still find a way to come back (same way it got there most likely).

There is one organic way of getting rid of it, but you have to cover your lawn in clear plastic tarps for a month in the hottest part of the summer. That will concentrate the heat and burn up the grass and seed. And I will bet my pay check that bermuda will just come in from the neighbor again. My neighbor has a lawn service and that is how bermuda got started in her yard. Now it's in mind, her neighbors, and across the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 10:16 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times
Yeah - tell that to my HOA also. There is nobody that has bermuda as a lawn here - and the area where mine showed up is an island unto itself....it's surrounded on all sides by concrete. So where did it come from? Had to be airborne. Now that I have it, I can't get rid of it. If the HOA has a problem with this, they can take care of my lawn themselves.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:54 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Yeah - tell that to my HOA also. There is nobody that has bermuda as a lawn here - and the area where mine showed up is an island unto itself....it's surrounded on all sides by concrete. So where did it come from? Had to be airborne. Now that I have it, I can't get rid of it. If the HOA has a problem with this, they can take care of my lawn themselves.
I'm sure they'll have no problem taking care of it for you...

however, expect to get a hefty bill in the mail

Old 10-26-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I'm sure they'll have no problem taking care of it for you...

however, expect to get a hefty bill in the mail
I'd sue in court if they tried that. I didn't plant the bermuda and can't get rid of it no matter what I do. What other solution is there?

Old 10-26-2010, 11:17 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
The only real "organic" way of removing bermuda is to dig down about 5 feet and remove all the soil. But it'll still find a way to come back (same way it got there most likely).
In fact, that is the ONLY way to get rid of it. Glyphostate (active chemical in Round-up) will brown it for a few months but next year it'll be back stronger than ever. The Bayer stuff (fenoxaprop) won't kill it rather it just controls it (even says so on the bottle). Sorry to say like others already have you can not kill common bermuda grass.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:27 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
First of all and I can attest to the fact that given the right conditions Bermuda grass will dominate Centipede but you have to follow the following guidelines.

Bermuda isn't real crazy about 2/4D (Herbicide) (Trimec Plus (product) is good and can be had at a hardware store. Trimec will kill Cetipede and brown Bermuda.

Bermuda likes 3 pounds of nitrogen and Centipede doesn't like over 1.

Add it up and Centipede in Bermuda is controlled with Trimec and Nitrogen. That is a Southern rural legend that Centipede dominates Bermuda. It is not a product of modern professional lawn care.

Controlling Bermuda in your lawn/Fescue is a product of inhibiting the Bermuda and cultivating the Fescue.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:29 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
HOA prohibit bermuda? That is hilarious. There is no way you can keep it out of your neighborhood now. Sounds like the HOA needs to wake up and smell reality. Plus Bermuda, depending on the house orientation and sunlight, is MUCH better suited for the area. Fescue works well if you have shade for most of the day but with 99% of tract homes having no shade the sun kills it.

There is one organic way of getting rid of it, but you have to cover your lawn in clear plastic tarps for a month in the hottest part of the summer. That will concentrate the heat and burn up the grass and seed. And I will bet my pay check that bermuda will just come in from the neighbor again. My neighbor has a lawn service and that is how bermuda got started in her yard. Now it's in mind, her neighbors, and across the street.
That is also part of the ease of establishing a Bermuda lawn. It will spread.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:27 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,863 times
That sucks about your HOA. I'm not a lawn guy (not interested in spending the time to tend to it, don't care about it looking perfect), so I just gave up and embraced it. Now the front lawn looks brown in the winter, but looks fine in the summer and maintenance is easy peasy.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:36 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
I'd sue in court if they tried that. I didn't plant the bermuda and can't get rid of it no matter what I do. What other solution is there?
What the HOA is permitted to do is "fix" the problem and then bill you according to your HOA guidelines. Chances are they will re-sod over the Bermuda, most likely because they are idiots and don't realize just covering Bermuda in anything short of 6 feet of concrete won't stop it (and even then, it might not be enough...seriously).

So you will pay every year...and you will do it with a smile because there is nothing you can do about it. HOA's suck.

I have seen 10 foot bermuda runners over our sidewalks in the peak of summer...how the bermuda survives on the hot pavement I have absolutely no clue.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
What the HOA is permitted to do is "fix" the problem and then bill you according to your HOA guidelines. Chances are they will re-sod over the Bermuda, most likely because they are idiots and don't realize just covering Bermuda in anything short of 6 feet of concrete won't stop it (and even then, it might not be enough...seriously).

So you will pay every year...and you will do it with a smile because there is nothing you can do about it. HOA's suck.

I have seen 10 foot bermuda runners over our sidewalks in the peak of summer...how the bermuda survives on the hot pavement I have absolutely no clue.
That would not happen. I'd prove that sodding would not work and the bermuda would simply come back year after year. The court would side with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary