Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 07:42 PM

18 posts, read 72,505 times

Advertisements

I find this post so interesting and slightly amusing. I am a native New Yorker, born and bred. I recently moved to Durham to escape the hustle and bustle of the fast-paced city, to spend more time with my daughter and give her the lifestyle I imagined for us (big house, grass, backyard, etc.). The issues you guys have brought up are very valid and my intention is to not make fun of anyone, but really, to me, Durham an oasis compared to big city life. If anyone here is from NYC, or any other big city, you know what I am talking about. If you have anything to complain about this town, then you need to go live in a big city. Then you'll find out just what a great place Durham is. It's urban enough to give me a little of the city life I am used to, but safe enough to raise my child the way I see fit. True, crime takes place here, but it happens anywhere you live. I live in North Durham and feel very safe. The only downside I hate about living here is seeing the poor animals that get killed by these reckless drivers that don't give a damn about running them over. I hate seeing deers dead by the side of the road because people don't have the decency to drive 35 mph. Other than that, crime is not as insane as it is in major metropolitan cities. In my opinion, we have it so much much easier than people that live in cities like NYC or LA. Also, I love the cost of living. I sold my 900 sqt ft apt in NYC, more than twice for what I bought my house here. And my child is in a private school that cost 3 times less than what I was paying for her to go to school in NYC. To me, life is very tame here in Durham. Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 07:46 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,650,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidas View Post
I find this post so interesting and slightly amusing. I am a native New Yorker, born and bred. I recently moved to Durham to escape the hustle and bustle of the fast-paced city, to spend more time with my daughter and give her the lifestyle I imagined for us (big house, grass, backyard, etc.). The issues you guys have brought up are very valid and my intention is to not make fun of anyone, but really, to me, Durham an oasis compared to big city life. If anyone here is from NYC, or any other big city, you know what I am talking about. If you have anything to complain about this town, then you need to go live in a big city. Then you'll find out just what a great place Durham is. It's urban enough to give me a little of the city life I am used to, but safe enough to raise my child the way I see fit. True, crime takes place here, but it happens anywhere you live. I live in North Durham and feel very safe. The only downside I hate about living here is seeing the poor animals that get killed by these reckless drivers that don't give a damn about running them over. I hate seeing deers dead by the side of the road because people don't have the decency to drive 35 mph. Other than that, crime is not as insane as it is in major metropolitan cities. In my opinion, we have it so much much easier than people that live in cities like NYC or LA. Also, I love the cost of living. I sold my 900 sqt ft apt in NYC, more than twice for what I bought my house here. And my child is in a private school that cost 3 times less than what I was paying for her to go to school in NYC. To me, life is very tame here in Durham. Just my two cents.
You see dead deer all over the roads down here because they don't clean up roadkill like many other states do. It happens everywhere.

Driving 35 won't solve the problem...and I don't think you are going to get people to drive that slow everywhere.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:21 PM

460 posts, read 1,768,086 times
Quote:
...Durham an oasis compared to big city life. If anyone here is from NYC, or any other big city, you know what I am talking about. If you have anything to complain about this town, then you need to go live in a big city. Then you'll find out just what a great place Durham is.
Exactly.

People who have ever lived 'anywhere' else in the country are able to put Durham into a greater perspective than people who've lived in Raleigh or Cary for the past 15 years and have a very provincial (or in other words 'hick') way of viewing the city.

(I'm with you on the roadkill thing, too. I've often thought, "Could I go just ONE day without seeing a dead animal in the road!")

Old 11-17-2007, 06:45 AM

31 posts, read 100,751 times
Default Great post!

We moved here from LA in July. Can I only tell you how many people wanted to verse me on the "gang" & crime problems here in Durham? I worked in law enforcement in LA so "gang/crime problem" is a very relative term I have also been fortunate enough to live in 4 different states and grew up most of my life in a small town in Indiana. EVERY town has it's issues. After living here only 4 months I will tell you we will not be leaving Durham anytime soon. This is a very well kept secret. I go to church in downtown Durham, love nothing better than parking near 9th Street and spending the entire day walking with my 1 year old through all of downtown and stopping to graze at one of the numerous cafe's or restaurants. Almost everytime we go downtown I find another new little shop or specialty market I haven't been to before.

I too love the Saturday farmers markets and the evening music opportunities at ATC & Brightleaf. Durham has so much to offer!

We haven't bought yet. Taking our time and looking EVERYWHERE (in Durham). I would love to buy in Trinity Park or Duke Park. Just haven't seen the right thing come along yet. We want to be next to the American Tobacco Trail wherever we move, which will not be hard. Probably will end up in South Durham, I have a feeling.

Thanks again for the post. Good stuff!

Old 11-17-2007, 06:53 AM

531 posts, read 1,979,967 times
Quote:
If you have anything to complain about this town, then you need to go live in a big city. Then you'll find out just what a great place Durham is. .
And there you have it in a nutshell...it's all in what you are used to. We shake our heads at people who buy houses along what we think are "busy" roads: "Oh I would NEVER buy a house on Duke Street--it's constant traffic!" But to someone who has lived in a real city, it's like living on a country road!

Old 11-17-2007, 11:49 AM

82 posts, read 271,635 times
While I do agree with your initial easment, I am very dissapointed with the turbine recovery act of 2029. We as a granite mold bearer must never forget the intricate gravitational carburetor and all its powders. If we become too laminate and cage like we will only succeed in the possibility of succeeding without the possibility of succeeding the successor!! Keep these tripods in your daily logs in order to elevate the already elevated!!

Old 11-20-2007, 08:07 AM

67 posts, read 331,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpaws02 View Post
While I do agree with your initial easment, I am very dissapointed with the turbine recovery act of 2029. We as a granite mold bearer must never forget the intricate gravitational carburetor and all its powders. If we become too laminate and cage like we will only succeed in the possibility of succeeding without the possibility of succeeding the successor!! Keep these tripods in your daily logs in order to elevate the already elevated!!
Truer words were never spoken. Your post is a shining beacon of hope in a sea of confusion.

Or maybe it's a some toast, lying on a slab of bacon.

I can't remember right now.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:15 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,189,719 times
Or, is it?

Old 11-20-2007, 08:42 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,598,203 times
Lightbulb Change The World

I think the bottom line is that if you don't want to live in Durham, we don't want you!

I mean, I hate to be negative, but we are looking for people to help change and re-shape Durham. This IS a great place to live!

If you want to pay top dollar to live in Raleigh or Cary or Chapel Hill there is nothing wrong with that and that is your choice.

If you want to live out in the boonies like Knightdale, Hillsborough, Garner, Holly Springs this is nothing wrong with that and that is your choice.

But if you are looking to get more house for your money, be in a great location and help make a difference, then climb aboard the bandwagon!

By the time everyone on the boards starts saying how great Durham really is, you may have missed out... All Aboard!

Just my two pennies,
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown
When I was a young man, I wanted to change the world. I found it was difficult to change the world, so I tried to change my nation. When I found I couldn't change the nation, I began to focus on my town. I couldn't change the town and as an older man, I tried to change my family. Now, as an old man, I realize the only thing I can change is myself, and suddenly I realize that if long ago I had changed myself, I could have made an impact on my family. My family and I could have made an impact on our town. Their impact could have changed the nation and I could indeed have changed the world. ~Author Unknown

Last edited by fester600; 11-20-2007 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: location

Old 11-20-2007, 04:41 PM

847 posts, read 3,518,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester600 View Post
I think the bottom line is that if you don't want to live in Durham, we don't want you!

I mean, I hate to be negative, but we are looking for people to help change and re-shape Durham. This IS a great place to live!

If you want to pay top dollar to live in Raleigh or Cary or Chapel Hill there is nothing wrong with that and that is your choice.

If you want to live out in the boonies like Knightdale, Hillsborough, Garner, Holly Springs this is nothing wrong with that and that is your choice.

But if you are looking to get more house for your money, be in a great location and help make a difference, then climb aboard the bandwagon!

By the time everyone on the boards starts saying how great Durham really is, you may have missed out... All Aboard!

Just my two pennies,
Matt
Where's the clapping smiley? hear hear +1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary