Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2007, 07:36 PM

7 posts, read 23,468 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving into an apartment in the hillsboro area next year. I was wondering what I can expect to pay for:
Water/sewer:
Electric:
Cable (basic 75 channels):
Internet(high speed, I need it for classes I take online):
Gas:
Average Phone Bill:
and anything else I left out.

I have never lived on my own so I would like an idea of what to expect. It will most likely be a two bedroom apartment. Any information will be great! Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 08:41 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,063,659 times
Hi, Sarah! I lived in Hillsborough until fairly recently, so maybe I can help.

First of all, just wanted you to know that the town spells its name "Hillsborough". Unlike many towns around NC, Hillsborough has kept the silent "ugh" at the end of its name. It's a common mistake so don't worry about it, but when you're doing your hunting, it'll help you to have the correct spelling of the town's name.

As for utilitiy costs, that can vary a lot for an apartment. Many apartment complexes will include the costs of some utilities with your monthly payment, so be sure to ask what is & isn't included.

Water & sewer is handled by the Town of Hillsborough. Your bill can vary because of your usage, of course. But it can also vary in Hillsborough depending upon whether you're living within Hillsborough-proper (which is a rather small area) or "outside" of town (and you may feel like you're inside of town, but the Town of Hillsborough may feel differently!). The prices for water are nearly double for people who live "outside" of town. But don't dispair. My husband and I lived just outside of town & we usually paid just under $30 a month for water.

Electric is handled by Duke Power (or are they calling themselves Duke Energy now? I forget). Monthly payments can vary a lot depending on the size of your place, how much you rely on air conditioning, etc. We were in a 2 story house so our payment can't compare to what you'd have in an apartment.

Cable is handled by Time Warner Cable. I'm not sure what they charge for basic cable. We had digital cable & high speed internet & paid about $100 a month, so you'll certainly pay less than that. Check their website for more info.

We didn't have gas at our place (heat pump instead of a furnace) and we use our mobile phones exclusively now, so I can't help you with the other two. But hopefully this will give you a start. Good luck!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:13 AM

7 posts, read 23,468 times
Thank you for the response! I had a friend who told me it was spelled with a "boro" at the end in the past. I heard that they changed the spelling. I do not know if this is true. Thank you so much for the correct spelling and the information. It was very helpful.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:34 AM

823 posts, read 3,924,824 times
PSNC is the natural gas provider. They charge $10/month plus couple dollars/therm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary