Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 11:08 AM

10 posts, read 45,517 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am new to this site and found it while I was researching my relocation that will be happening next month. I will be relocating to Brier Creek for a co-op/internship with Cisco. I was wondering if anyone had some feedback on the following:

1. Best route to take from Boston, MA to Raleigh
2. Traffic to and from Cisco
3. Weather from August to January

Any other information about RTP, Brier Creek, etc. would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 11:59 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
I plugged Boston to Brier Creek into Google Maps (Google Maps). The route from NJ south to Brier Creek looked very much like what I use when I drive to NY, NY to visit my wife's family - mostly I-95 south to I-85, then I-85 to US-70 in Durham to Brier Creek. Another alternative would be to take US-1 near Henderson, NC south to I-540 and then I-540 to Brier Creek. I've never tried that route, though, as I-540 wasn't open the last time I drove to New York City.

I'm not sure I would use the directions from Boston to NJ, though. The Google Maps route seems to go rather close to New York City, and if it were me I would try to steer clear if at all possible.

Traffic to Cisco is interesting. They are getting ready to open up NC-540 (the continuation of I-540 past I-40) which seems like it might be the route you would take, getting off at either NC-54 or Davis Drive (I think I read there is going to be an exit here). As long as traffic doesn't back up too bad getting off NC-540, your commute will be pretty short (think 15 minutes).

Old 07-07-2007, 01:48 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Taking 95 to 85 (in Petersburg, VA) to Hwy 70 east in Durham is the fastest way from points North. We live in the Brier Creek area and drive to the DC area many times a year and this is the fastest route out of 3 we have taken. Takes us about 4 hours from DC.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:06 PM

445 posts, read 1,858,780 times
Hate to give you more options but since I-540 is open to US-64/264 you can take I-95S to US-64W (Rocky Mount, NC) and then I-540W - you'll have restricted access highway all the way until you get to Lumley Rd exit on I-540 and maybe two traffic lights to Brier Creek.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:50 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrank2109 View Post
Hate to give you more options but since I-540 is open to US-64/264 you can take I-95S to US-64W (Rocky Mount, NC) and then I-540W - you'll have restricted access highway all the way until you get to Lumley Rd exit on I-540 and maybe two traffic lights to Brier Creek.
Took me 4 hours from Hedingham that way. To go to Brier Creek I-85 to 70 East is much faster .

Old 07-07-2007, 05:50 PM

445 posts, read 1,858,780 times
4-Hours! I made it all the way to Greenville in 1-1/2 from North Raleigh. Must have been a bad traffic day.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:40 PM

10 posts, read 45,517 times
Thanks for all the feedback. One more question. If I decide to take I-95S from Boston, what is the best time to drive through NYC, NJ, DC, etc? I know that NYC is packed all the time and NJ and DC must get busy at least during rush hour time.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:50 PM

233 posts, read 860,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwong86 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. One more question. If I decide to take I-95S from Boston, what is the best time to drive through NYC, NJ, DC, etc? I know that NYC is packed all the time and NJ and DC must get busy at least during rush hour time.
I'll be perfectly honest.. I lived in Weston, MA (just 15 miles west of Boston), and have driven the route many times from Weston or Worcester to Clayton, NC. I've travelled I-95 through CT and NY numerous times and hated it, I can't stand being stuck on the GW bridge in NY, or all the other traffic on 95-S coming through NY.

I just drove back from my vacation with family and friends last week and got home yesterday from Boston. For years, I've been leaving at 4:00am and coming out the Mass Pike to I-84W. Follow I-84 through CT and into NY and pick up 684W, it's about 30 miles and right into White Plains, NY. Take I-287S towards the Tappan Zee Bridge, a few exits after the Tappan Zee pick up the NJ Garden State Parkway, follow that to Jersey Turnpike (I-95S). Follow your signs to the Delaware Memorial Bridge, stay on 95S until you can pick up 85 in Virginia. By leaving at 4:00am and I can hit the Tappan Zee before 7:00am (yesterday I was rolling and hit it in 2-1/2hrs), deal with the rush hour traffic on the Garden State Parkway (which will be far less horrible than NYC). It took me 12hrs and 40 minutes yesterday and I had an hours worth of backed up traffic that I sat in when I got into Virginia. If it weren't for that, I would have made record time. Yesterday being a Saturday, that was a good driving day. We did drive up a week ago this past Friday though, and it did take about 14 hrs. We hit several traffic back-ups around DC, and then Baltimore, and then the Garden State Pkway.

To answer your question though.. if you wanted to take 95S the entire way... I would think if you left at 6:00am the only place you would hit the morning rush hour might be Providence, RI. You should be able to sail through CT, NY, NJ, DE and MD and be in DC within 8 hrs, putting you there around 2:00-3:00 in the afternoon. Raleigh would be another 4 to 4-1/2 hrs from DC. I don't know how I-85S is at rush hour, but that could be a factor, maybe adjust to leave around 7 or 8am and just deal with the local Boston rush hour traffic and you should be south of Richmond around 6ish and then by the time you hit I-85 into NC it might not be so bad.

Good luck which ever route you decide to travel and be safe!

Old 07-08-2007, 06:08 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassy View Post
I just drove back from my vacation with family and friends last week and got home yesterday from Boston. For years, I've been leaving at 4:00am and coming out the Mass Pike to I-84W. Follow I-84 through CT and into NY and pick up 684W, it's about 30 miles and right into White Plains, NY. Take I-287S towards the Tappan Zee Bridge, a few exits after the Tappan Zee pick up the NJ Garden State Parkway, follow that to Jersey Turnpike (I-95S). Follow your signs to the Delaware Memorial Bridge, stay on 95S until you can pick up 85 in Virginia. By leaving at 4:00am and I can hit the Tappan Zee before 7:00am (yesterday I was rolling and hit it in 2-1/2hrs), deal with the rush hour traffic on the Garden State Parkway (which will be far less horrible than NYC). It took me 12hrs and 40 minutes yesterday and I had an hours worth of backed up traffic that I sat in when I got into Virginia. If it weren't for that, I would have made record time. Yesterday being a Saturday, that was a good driving day. We did drive up a week ago this past Friday though, and it did take about 14 hrs. We hit several traffic back-ups around DC, and then Baltimore, and then the Garden State Pkway.
Just a quick "ditto" for this route. I've done the drive between NC/FL/DC and Boston about a dozen times each way and this has been the best one I've ever found. It seems like there's always *something* happening on the GW Bridge or I-95 through the Bronx or CT.

The Tappan Zee is never too bad and the GSP is much, much better than the NJ Pike through the city.

Can also consider switching up and using the Merritt Pkwy off of I-91 instead of the 84/684 through White Plains, but that route works well too. Sometimes I got hung up in Bridgeport going that route...

Old 07-09-2007, 06:28 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
When we lived in Northern VA and drove to Boston sometimes we'd actually go up through York PA and pick up 80 in Northern NJ. This still put you on the mess at the GWB, but you could keep driving up the Jersey side of the Hudson and cross at the Tappan Zee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary