Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:11 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,311 times

Advertisements

This is more of a little rant type of post. Not a life or death type situation but just something that I've been wondering.

Who is responsible for the upkeep of I440/US1? Is it the State or the City of Raleigh?

I've been here 4 years now and every day on my way home I see the same garbage on the left side of the road, up against the concrete barrier. In fact some drains have so much dirt and debris piled up there's grass growing out of them! That can't be good for the drainage of the highway.

Maybe if I find out who maintains it I'll send out an email or a call to the responsible party. I know it's not a "must fix now" issue, but a.) it looks like crap and b.) that debris could potentially puncture someone's tire. I'm just wondering if there are no street sweepers in the state and why one couldn't be sent out every 3 or 6 months.

Thanks for listening to my little rant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 06:34 AM

871 posts, read 3,018,394 times
It's always been a peeve of mine too. The highways and byways around here are insultingly and magnificently sullied by garbage and crud of every desription. What a greeting to our arriving visitors traveling from RDU to the surrounding areas. I'm sure most people get blinded to it. There really is zero excuse. Just apathy and ignorance from the governor's office on down.

A buddy of mine's dad worked for CalTrans in the San Diego area for 30 years. Sometimes the budget cutbacks would "necessitate" neglect of a certain area and defer care and maintenance for a cycle or two. Upon the eventual cleanup of said area, there would inevitably turn up the victim of homicide or suicide that would only reappear when discovered by a road crew. It turned out to be very traumatic for many of these workers.

I am not one to cast stones so I will say here that my family ad I participate in my employer's Adopt-A-Highway program for 4 cleanups a year. Thankfully, we are not exposed to the treacherous meat grinder of these major arteries but do get to spiff up some outlying aeas. I also hate to toss out the "how we do it up North" card, but the DPW gets the trucks and sweepers out on the highways in the middle of the night, with state police vehicles present for safety and traffic observation, and generally speaking the roadways, all of them, are comparitively immaculate vs. those here. It's just so avoidable and fixable that it doesn't have to be this gross.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:46 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Good luck with all of that, given the current election results.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:16 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
NCDOT is responsible. The City of Raleigh gets involved with I-440 maintenance only in rare instances.

After the 2010 census results are published and the General Assembly redistricts the state to reflect rapid growth in metro areas, it's likely that the Triangle area (and Charlotte) will get a bigger slice of the NCDOT budget. That's still a few years away. Also, given the $3 billion gap that the state faces in the next fiscal year -- regardless of which political party runs the General Assembly -- don't expect much help from NCDOT.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:27 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,311 times
I used to see the inmates working the shoulders about 1-2 years ago, but haven't seen them in the longest time.

Why not use the inmate labor to get the medians cleaned up?

Old 11-03-2010, 07:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
I used to see the inmates working the shoulders about 1-2 years ago, but haven't seen them in the longest time.
I saw inmates cleaning up on I-40E toward Durham/Chapel Hill just last week.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:26 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Here's the back story about inmates and litter:

Raleigh Officials Want Roadside Garbage Gone :: WRAL.com

Old 11-03-2010, 09:34 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,125 times
I have been noticing the trash more and more, too. Yesterday on the inner beltline, there was a dead deer on the shoulder, less than a foot from the white lane line. It was very gory and disturbing, but it was also a huge distraction. This was around lunch time. You would think that the city would have sent someone out to remove something like that quickly after it happened, which most likely would have been the night before or early morning.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Yesterday on the inner beltline, there was a dead deer on the shoulder, less than a foot from the white lane line. It was very gory and disturbing, but it was also a huge distraction. This was around lunch time. You would think that the city would have sent someone out to remove something like that quickly after it happened, which most likely would have been the night before or early morning.
But hopefully not before some intrepid C-D poster was able to take a picture of the carcass.
//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...hit-540-a.html

Old 11-03-2010, 06:45 PM

645 posts, read 1,503,569 times
Have you been on the southern section of I40 mileposts 305 to 295?? garbage all over. A true embarrassment for the state capital. But hey Americans are pigs. The stuff gets thrown out of cars and falls off trucks. Who picks it up? Not many as by the view of all the trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary