Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 08:38 PM

7 posts, read 23,506 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were interested in a house for sell on Rondelay, but hear so much about high crime rate in Durham that we're having second thoughts about leaving Virginia Beach and buying there. Can any ole timers give me some REAL advice before we relocate??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 07:21 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
Like everywhere there are some bad spots but those spots are easily distinguishable. I think it's a fantastic place to live and raise a family. Overall, Durham is probably the safest place to live in the region. It used to be a very antiquated city but has come a long way and now is very obvious there is a strong goal of preserving the historical beauty of the city. Listen to other opinions as well to be fair since I'm very biased towards Durham.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:30 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,383 times
Here we go again.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Keep in mind that much of what you read is about the city of Durham, but there is also a county of Durham that encompasses a much larger area. I Googled Rondelay, and it appears to me to be in Durham County, but not the city of Durham.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:42 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,543 times
Durham does have a crime mapper if you want to get specific data.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:00 PM

915 posts, read 2,382,531 times
For a comparison of crime rates in Durham and other cities of similar size, please see the report:

http://www.durhampolice.com/news/pdf/100817_1.pdf

Yes, Durham does have a higher crime rate than Raleigh or Chapel Hill. When you compare 2009 crime rates in Durham versus cities nationwide, however, you see the full picture.

Durham has less violent crime than the average Southern city its size (i.e. less crime than Greensboro, Little Rock, Shreveport, Richmond, or Winston-Salem). It also has less property crime than 5 of 10 Southern peer cities.

When looking nationwide, Durham is in the lowest quartile for violent crimes (i.e. Durham has less crime than 75% of cities its size). The city of Durham is in the second quartile for property crime (meaning that Durham has less property crime than ~65% of its nationwide peers), and the combined city-county property crime rate is also in the lowest quartile.

It is also worth noting that Durham has less crime than Charlotte, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Fayetteville, and Wilmington.

So yes, as in all cities, there is some crime in Durham. But please, don't let people scare you into thinking that Durham has an out-of-control crime problem. When it comes to crime, we're actually a lot better than most cities our size.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:44 PM

86 posts, read 230,400 times
I now live in Raleigh....I moved here from Durham. I stayed in Durham for 13 years before I moved to Raleigh. To me, I like Durham better and I am planning on moving back(Lord's Willing) next year. When I stayed there, yes there was crime, but there are crime everywhere you go. There are some good places you can live in Durham and yes I felt safe there. Raleigh have crime too. It's not that bad there.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Roughly the Southeast "wedge" of the city from "3:30" to "5:30" from downtown, on a map, is an area you should not consider without seeing it first (in the daytime). Most of the rest of Durham, especially the North and West as well as Southwest, are quite desirable either for being brand new homes or established "neighborhoods with character".

Old 11-04-2010, 05:01 PM

315 posts, read 1,256,380 times
If it's the Rondelay in Ravenstone, I think it's pretty safe. We have lived in Ravenstone for 2.5 years and feel very safe. Ravnestone is a great neighborhood, and there are 3-4 people here on this forum that also live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary