Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 03:55 PM

389 posts, read 797,538 times

Advertisements

Can someone recommend good neighborhoods with good schools around the Duke University Hospital area? Looking to keep commutes under 20 minutes if possible. Budget is 300k. Looking for a home and not condo. Have young children in grade school.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 04:12 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,044,418 times
I wouldn't live "around" Duke hospital.

I would live in Woodcroft. Here is a 2-year-old City-data discussion on it: //www.city-data.com/forum/raleigh-durham-chapel-hill-cary/312442-questions-woodcroft-neighborhood.html I don't know what the commute is.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:26 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,897,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom11011 View Post
Can someone recommend good neighborhoods with good schools around the Duke University Hospital area? Looking to keep commutes under 20 minutes if possible. Budget is 300k. Looking for a home and not condo. Have young children in grade school.

Thanks
Plenty of choices. Some of the most popular neighborhoods immediately surrounding are Old West Durham, Watts-Hillandale, Duke Forest, Trinity Park, Duke Park, Old North Durham.

In central Durham, look for public schools that have strong neighborhood and PTA support; Watts, Powe, Morehead, Forest View, Hillandale are all popular, but there's many other fine schools I haven't named here. Strong Durham Schools (strongdurhamschools.com is an excellent web site with views of parents on the educational opportunities at different schools.)

Hope Valley will be out of price range but newer, less expensive nearby Hope Valley Farms and Woodcroft make good choices. Other neighborhoods in North Durham and South Durham will fit the bill as well.

Unless you're in northern Durham Co. (north of the Eno River or so) in far southern Durham, a 20 minute commute should be doable from most parts of the city even in traffic, though you'll want to note that parking at the hospital is limited and you should consider whether off-site parking and campus transit is something you'll need to do.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:29 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,897,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I wouldn't live "around" Duke hospital.
Ya know, from driving through it and hearing my friends who live in Wake Forest talk about it, I would never live anywhere close to Mini-City/US 1 in Raleigh, either. But since I don't live there, I wouldn't be the best person to ask!

To the OP: be sure to solicit many opinions, as with all things. You will hear from people who live in Durham and love it; those who live here and don't like it; and from those in other counties who may have direct opinions on the city, or opinions based on what they've heard others say.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:43 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,044,418 times
Woodcroft is a beautiful neighborhood with many young families. The area directly "around" Duke is not.

I'm not sure why suggesting Woodcroft is an issue or why someone would be in attack mode (especially since you agreed with me on Woodcroft AND attacked me.) I don't like Mini-City either. But of course, I love Brentwood.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:49 PM

389 posts, read 797,538 times
Thanks for the responses. I have driven Chapel Hill to Duke before just a few weekends ago. It was during the weekend and the highways were empty. What's that commute like during the week time wise?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,183,388 times
Suggesting Woodcroft when you don't know what the commute is like and only because you've read other discussions about it is worthy of attack. Especially when you add the area directly around duke is not a beautiful neighborhood full of young families. Have you ever been to Durham?

I live in a beautiful neighborhood about 1 mile south of Duke's west campus, and there are many young families here--most of them are part of Duke's faculty or medical staff. Duke Forest--the OP could try here. several homes in your price range right now on Woodburn Rd., and it's about 7 minutes to Duke Hospital from here.

Old 11-07-2010, 06:29 PM

915 posts, read 2,374,901 times
Burch Avenue is another neighborhood very close to Duke (most maps actually show Burch Avenue as being on Duke's property, which it isn't).

Re: recommending against the areas directly around Duke Med Ctr-- whoever is suggesting this has never been to Trinity Park, Watts Hillandale, or Duke Park. Most of the urban neighborhoods in Durham are absolutely beautiful.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:16 PM

8,158 posts, read 10,867,133 times
Right off the bat I'd be looking in Forest Hills. I haven't been in there in a few years, but I always like it and the location.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:01 PM

612 posts, read 1,274,785 times
a very short drive from the hospital, down Erwin Road, will find lots of nice homes in your price range. Forest View Elementary has good ratings and all the neighborhoods/homes around Randolph Rd, Erwin Rd, and Pickett Rd should give you plenty of good options --- good mix of newer nice homes, and very well kept older homes as well. There are also good private school options very close to there as well, in Carolina Friends school and Durham Academy.

http://www.strongdurhamschools.com/t...?c=forest-view
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary