Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2010, 05:23 PM

7 posts, read 74,780 times

Advertisements

OK, taking the plunge into Fayetteville, NC because of a great job offer. Will be moving this week from Charlotte, NC. All you long time residents and defenders of Fayetteville I would really like to hear from you.
What is there to do in the city?
Where is the best place to see a movie?
Best Belk location?
The best Mexican restaurant?
Best Seafood?
Best place for a good steak?
Best sushi?
Best Bar B Que?
Does anywhere have sliced (chip) fried pickles?
Best hairstylist for women?
Best grocery store (that's not Food Lion or Piggly Wiggly).
Best Bakery?
Is there a symphony? Opera? Any cultural events?
Antique shows? Art shows or festivals?
Any great holiday celebrations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 11:32 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbuckeye View Post
OK, taking the plunge into Fayetteville, NC because of a great job offer. Will be moving this week from Charlotte, NC. All you long time residents and defenders of Fayetteville I would really like to hear from you.
The movie theater on Skibo Rd in the small mall behind Fat Daddy's. For that smaller location there is one on Hay Street Downtown that sometimes will play old classics.

Best Belk location?
Cross Creek Mall wins by default. (Although now that I think about it, there is one at the top of Raeford Rd. that is smaller but it keeps you out of the big mall (if you can call it big).

Don't eat Mexican too much. The Mexican Restaurant on Raeford in the same strip mall as Belk is always busy though.

Best Seafood?
I like Sandpipers but they are CROWDED and only open at certain times of the week. Thur-Sun I believe. There are buffet style though, not 5 star if thats what your looking for.

Chris's steakhouse.

Best sushi?
Don't eat sushi so I don't know.

Best Bar B Que?
Smithfields Chicken n BBQ

Texas Road House on Morganton Rd across from Westwood Shopping Center

Can't help you here.

Harris Teeter

Best Bakery?
There is a bakery on Reilly Rd that cooks some old style breads but they are not a dessert place if thats what you are looking for and they don't have that downtown feeling if thats what you crave in a place like a bakery. But for bread they are good and fresh everyday (well everyday that they are open).

Don't know about this b/c I didn't care about these things when I lived there.

Dogwood Festival is the biggest and the free-est (if thats a word).

Don't think so.
That is the best I could do. I apologize for not knowing some of the names of places but it has been about 6 years since I lived there and when I did I was young so some of the things you ask about I didn't think twice about b/c it didn't interest me.

Comparing the things that you ask with what Charlotte. I think you are going to be disappointed. Fayetteville is by far a military town and acts as such. Without Ft. Bragg, Fayetteville wouldn't be half of what it is. (IMHO)

Old 11-09-2010, 11:49 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
This might help. I hope you like ice hockey:

Crown Center - Calendar

You might want to plan to take day trips to the Raleigh area for fun.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:17 PM

375 posts, read 1,143,679 times
I can only help with some of these... as I haven't lived there since I was 4. HOWEVER I do have extended family that I visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbuckeye View Post
No clue

Best Belk location?
Cross Creek Mall is all that I know...

I'm a big fan of Micasitas There are a couple of them spread throughout the city

Best Seafood?
Is Hudson Bay still open? I remember that being good (mostly fried stuff though). We grew up going to Sandpiper, but stopped when my grandparents couldn't handle the wait for a table anymore.

Extended family aren't big steak eaters

Best sushi?
I don't eat sushi

Best Bar B Que?
There's the BBQ Hut - its pretty good, and then I believe its called Cape Fear BBQ - both of these are eastern NC style

I'm sure there's a chain (Hooters, Ham's, Carolina Ale House) but I don't know for sure

Probably don't want to go where my 86 yr old grandma goes...

They've got all your major/normal chains - and I'm sure there's a Whole Foods somewhere. Or see if they have a Fresh Market.

Best Bakery?
No idea

I don't think they have their own symphony, but look for events to come through the Colliseum

I know a quilt show used to come through at the Methodist College. My guess is they have other crafty shows and such come through as well. There is the Museum of Art and a pretty good kid's museum (if its still there...)

There tends to be both a Veteran's Day and Memorial Day parade. 4th of July is usually pretty big too. I think these happen downtown. There might be a Christmas parade, but I can't remember.
Google and the city's website should be a huge help here. I also remember going to a couple of parks and enjoying them as a kid. Honeycutt Park was one, and the other was Mazarick Park. Mazarick used to be the "coolest" since it has 3 or 4 different play areas. I remember we didn't go to this one as often as Honeycutt - I think because Mom had to chase us around more. Keep in mind for the park recs that this was over 20 years ago. I've driven by Honeycutt more recently and it seems to look the same.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:22 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,620 times
You may get better responses in the Coastal forum.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:39 PM

375 posts, read 1,143,679 times
Another BBQ-ish joint - Fuller's Old Fashioned BBQ (or something like that). Its just off of Grove St near the Sandpiper.

Its a non-fancy buffet style eatery, but has some of the BEST authentic southern food around. We went here after my Grandma's funeral - and it was by far the perfect place to go. Every single dish on the buffet were ones that she used to make herself. It has mixed reviews... but I think its from people who were thinking its something that its not. It is clean, but don't go in expecting the most up-to-date or even a "country themed" decor.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:30 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,749 times
Default Yes there is a symphony!

Lots of cultural arts in Fayetteville!

The Arts Council | Fayetteville, NC | Cumberland County | Artists

Fayetteville Symphony Orchestra - Welcome to the Fayetteville Symphony Orchestra Web Site 53 years, thank you very much!

Cape Fear Regional Theater Get season tickets! Awesome shows!

Dickens Holiday is coming up on Nov 26, looks like fun!

A Dickens Holiday | Fayetteville, North Carolina | Holiday Festivals NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary