Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:48 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,733,691 times

Advertisements

I can hear the discussion on CD if Wegman's does come here:

"First the New Yorkers come, then they want to bring their pizza here, then they bring their grocery stores. Why bother moving here at all?"

Old 12-11-2012, 07:07 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,151,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I can hear the discussion on CD if Wegman's does come here:

"First the New Yorkers come, then they want to bring their pizza here, then they bring their grocery stores. Why bother moving here at all?"
Eh. I don't care if Wegman's comes here. I'll treat it like I treat Whole Foods. I'll go there if need be.

The way people gripe about how much HT costs, I'm convinced they don't want Wegman's here for regular use. Just special occasions. It's kinda like wanting an IKEA.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:59 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,232,085 times
I guess the Wegmans I go to up in NJ when I visit family must be an outlier. I don't notice anything overly friendly about the employees there. It is a nice store but I don't find myself missing it. I've said before and I will say it again, it's a nice grocery store, but its still just a store. I can't get too excited about any store anywhere. There are 1000 things I would rather do than shop.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,558,602 times
You guys....you ain't gettin' a wegmans. Danny said so himself. Deal with it.

Besides...another thread on here says you are getting publix. Not a chance Publix and Wegmans will enter the same market close to the same time.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:24 PM

9,767 posts, read 15,733,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
You guys....you ain't gettin' a wegmans. Danny said so himself. Deal with it.

Besides...another thread on here says you are getting publix. Not a chance Publix and Wegmans will enter the same market close to the same time.
I think what the two chains have in common is that they are two of the biggest, if not the two biggest, family-owned grocery stores. I know Wegmans has a good reputation for treating its employees well. I think Publix does, too.

Anyway, I have to say I am with NRG on this one. I lived in DC before coming here and EVERYONE there LOVED LOVED LOVED Wegmans. And I LIKED them, especially the one that had free childcare while you shopped. , but I don't have the LOVE that everyone else seems to have for the store. They did have some good prices (bought 5 lb bags of flour there for 99 cents over Thanksgiving), but my one gripe is that the store is so big, that it took 10 minutes to walk from one end of the store to the other - not the type of store you run into for 2-3 items. And also everyone LOVED it so much that it was always packed (well in DC everything is packed, but this was even more so). Anyway, I do like Wegmans, but it's not one of the top 10 things I miss about the DC area.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:30 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,558,602 times
I think most of the folks with the "love" mentality are from Upstate NY...especially the Rochester area. Wegmans was founded here, the whole Wegman family still lives here and EVERYONE grew up with it. There is a lot of nostalgia involved. Wegmans is a great store for sure, and often ranks among the best companies in the country to work for. That doesn't mean it is going to expand and dominate the market wherever some people want it though. The fanatics about it are probably in a little way "homesick" more than anything. You don't really see quite the "Wegmans mania" from expats from other areas where Wegmans is a more recent addition (NJ, ND, VA, New England) as you do from Rochesterians/Upstate NY'ers

Old 12-11-2012, 09:44 PM

2,001 posts, read 3,572,078 times
Love me some Wegmans. I started working there at 15 and until I was 20. I was a cashier and I got the scholarship for college there. It has all the stuff you grew up with which maybe isn't special to anyone but you. They really adjust the stores to the setting they are in, the smaller town stores are much more toned down, but where there is cash they turn the dial to 11 and really put out a spread. The DC stores are simply amazing, especially the fairfax one. The half moon cookies are to die for.

I would welcome one, but I find Harris Teeter is my default store.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:02 PM

4,549 posts, read 6,370,660 times
People in the DC area really love Wegmans. DC peeps also love Harris Teeter.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:38 PM

384 posts, read 594,599 times
Wegman's subs are awesome. Bigger and better than Jersey Mikes and a lot less than $12. For the record, I think Jersey Mike's makes a decent sub.

The moral of my story is bring on Wegman's so we can all have big, delicious, reasonably priced subs.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:21 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,066,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I think most of the folks with the "love" mentality are from Upstate NY...especially the Rochester area. Wegmans was founded here, the whole Wegman family still lives here and EVERYONE grew up with it. There is a lot of nostalgia involved. Wegmans is a great store for sure, and often ranks among the best companies in the country to work for. That doesn't mean it is going to expand and dominate the market wherever some people want it though. The fanatics about it are probably in a little way "homesick" more than anything. You don't really see quite the "Wegmans mania" from expats from other areas where Wegmans is a more recent addition (NJ, ND, VA, New England) as you do from Rochesterians/Upstate NY'ers
I'm not homesick. I have often visited other cities and met my Rochester friends/relatives there.

Wegmans has spoiled me, though. I don't grocery shop; it's too depressing. Husband is responsible for that task. He is the world's fastest shopper and finishes in record time. There is no joy in shopping in a non-Wegmans store. Whole Foods comes closest as far as shopping enjoyment.

When I was very young, "Star" market was the place to go, and Wegmans was just another small grocery store.

Of course people who haven't experienced Wegmans for many years wouldn't have the degree of Wegmans-love that we do. It takes time to know the staff (if they are the caibre of the ones in Rochester) and the ways they are different from regular grocery stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.