Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 01:44 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I look forward to hitting up Wegman's when I go back to NJ for the holidays. If I don't have the life changing experience people seem to regularly experience there based on the personal accounts here, I plan to complain to the manager!

Will you settle for Alec Baldwins mother greeting you at the door?

Old 12-13-2012, 02:47 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Thats funny, because I moved from Western New York to NC, and after visiting the local grocery stores, I felt most of them (not including Food Lion), were an improvement on anything that was where I came from.
Better than Weggies and Tops? Of course, some Tops are better than others. I happened to grow up in west Amherst, so my local stores were the Alberta Drive Wegmans and the Tops International right across the street, so they were always trying to outdo each other.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Better than Weggies and Tops? Of course, some Tops are better than others. I happened to grow up in west Amherst, so my local stores were the Alberta Drive Wegmans and the Tops International right across the street, so they were always trying to outdo each other.

I say this as someone who is the main shopper in the family, and "a shopping experience" is not high on my list of things. I preferred Tops to Wegmans, as I was more interested in affordable shopping, but neither one was all that great. I like Wegmans subs, they have a nice international section that is appreciated, and their store brand is a good quality product, but 8 out of 10 times, I would be leaving that store in frustration. Because so much room is devoted to all of the various different things, I'd say about less than half the store is actually devoted to the typical grocery aisles. This would often lead to a fairly limited selection, where I would be going in for a certain type of item, but they wouldn't have it. They also have high prices on every day items and not very much is on sale at any given time. Their weekly ad also was a jumbled mess with more room devoted to anything but ad prices and they would never have defined sections, like breakfast foods, or frozen, it was always a jumbled mess (something that I see Publix likes to do as well). Actually, my favorite place to shop in Buffalo was BJ's wholesale club. Down here (I'm in Charlotte), based on my experience, I prefer Bi-Lo, Harris Teeter and Lowes foods to anything in Buffalo. Harris Teeter is easily the best grocery store I've experience. Different strokes for different folks though, and I'm sure that people who are less "get in, get food, and get out" than I am would disagree with me.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:01 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
I say this as someone who is the main shopper in the family, and "a shopping experience" is not high on my list of things. I preferred Tops to Wegmans, as I was more interested in affordable shopping, but neither one was all that great. I like Wegmans subs, they have a nice international section that is appreciated, and their store brand is a good quality product, but 8 out of 10 times, I would be leaving that store in frustration. Because so much room is devoted to all of the various different things, I'd say about less than half the store is actually devoted to the typical grocery aisles. This would often lead to a fairly limited selection, where I would be going in for a certain type of item, but they wouldn't have it. They also have high prices on every day items and not very much is on sale at any given time. Their weekly ad also was a jumbled mess with more room devoted to anything but ad prices and they would never have defined sections, like breakfast foods, or frozen, it was always a jumbled mess (something that I see Publix likes to do as well). Actually, my favorite place to shop in Buffalo was BJ's wholesale club. Down here (I'm in Charlotte), based on my experience, I prefer Bi-Lo, Harris Teeter and Lowes foods to anything in Buffalo. Harris Teeter is easily the best grocery store I've experience. Different strokes for different folks though, and I'm sure that people who are less "get in, get food, and get out" than I am would disagree with me.
Wegman's sounds like a place I'd use for certain stuff I couldn't easily find in other stores. Kinda like how I use Fresh Market and Whole Foods now.

HT is our regular place. I could shop there 90% of the time and if I altered my specialty stuff, could shop there all the time.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:07 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
Just saw they don't have a Wegman's in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh. I doubt they'll put anything in Raleigh anytime soon

Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 PM

384 posts, read 596,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Just saw they don't have a Wegman's in Philadelphia or Pittsburgh. I doubt they'll put anything in Raleigh anytime soon
They have stores in Northern Virginia, including Fredericksburg, which is much closer to the Triangle than either Philadelphia or Pittsburgh. I have no idea if they will ever get to NC but I suspect they would rather add stores in growth markets than simply the biggest cities they can find.

Anytime you introduce more competition from a well run, ethical company into a marketplace, it is a great benefit for consumers.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,824,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
They have stores in Northern Virginia, including Fredericksburg, which is much closer to the Triangle than either Philadelphia or Pittsburgh. I have no idea if they will ever get to NC but I suspect they would rather add stores in growth markets than simply the biggest cities they can find.

Anytime you introduce more competition from a well run, ethical company into a marketplace, it is a great benefit for consumers.
Oh I understand. I just meant that Philly and Pittsburgh are much closer to the distribution center, and are very large markets. If they haven't put ones there yet, why put one here?

N. VA has some of the most affluent citizens in the U.S., so there is no doubt they'd jump on that opportunity.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:55 AM

810 posts, read 1,449,658 times
Quote:
I say this as someone who is the main shopper in the family, and "a shopping experience" is not high on my list of things. I preferred Tops to Wegmans, as I was more interested in affordable shopping, but neither one was all that great.
Nobody can truthfully say that Wegmans isn't great, but I was a Tops person myself. Rochester was a Wegmans town, and Wegmans was accordingly pretentious as hell, as are the people there (I was one of them). It worked for them and I say God bless 'em. But I'd go into some of the Weggies and it was like the Muzak was singing "Are you sure that you're good enough to be here?" and most of the people in the aisles were responding, "Of course we are. We're better than anyone". It was a little scary sometimes.

Tops from the Buffalo area had more of a Buffalo vibe, which was real regular people with no burrs in their personalities -- the kind of people you can very naturally strike up conversations with in the checkout line. The kind of people whose cooking would be knockout delicious and would have no frilly foo-foo ingredients anywhere in it. If you ever want to live among especially good people, Buffalo's your place.

When the City of Rochester needed someone to put a couple supermarkets in the city, Tops would do it but Wegmans wouldn't. Which might be okay. Weggies would be pretty out-of-place in the city, but Tops is very location-adaptable. They're particularly good at that, in fact.

S

Old 12-14-2012, 09:20 AM

300 posts, read 973,137 times
Quote:
Oh I understand. I just meant that Philly and Pittsburgh are much closer to the distribution center, and are very large markets. If they haven't put ones there yet, why put one here?

N. VA has some of the most affluent citizens in the U.S., so there is no doubt they'd jump on that opportunity.
There are a number of Wegman's currently open in the Philadelphia suburbs today:

Locator Detail | Wegmans - Wegmans King Of Prussia

Locator Detail | Wegmans - Wegmans King Of Prussia

Old 12-14-2012, 11:46 AM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Quote:
There are many Wegmans located in the Philadelphia area - perhaps not in the city itself, but definitely in its suburbs. My niece works at one of them.

ETA:
There are 7 Wegmans in what I would consider the Philadelphia area:
Collegeville
Downingtown
King of Prussia
Malvern
Warrington
Cherry Hill, NJ
Mt. Laurel, NJ

And it looks like they are adding an 8th Philly-area store in Montgomeryville, PA in 2013.

Last edited by michgc; 12-14-2012 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary