Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 05:26 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,190,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I agree with what you're saying, but what I read from NRG's post was that (while he can no doubt see why some people might want a Wegman's on every corner or what have you), he doesn't feel like he needs a Wegman's.

I didn't get that he didn't want them around. Just more like he doesn't feel like he's missed anything having not been in one.

Eh... maybe if they ever came here and they were convenient to his house, he'd start shopping there regularly, who knows?

And you could absolutely comment in a thread about bringing something to town that you don't get the obsession over if you wanted, because Wegman's as a topic is not really a casual mention. It pops up every now and then and it's right up there with IKEA and "why is there no good pizza," at least here on the Triangle board.

^ this

Old 06-04-2014, 05:32 PM

9,122 posts, read 14,664,501 times
What's "Northern NC" ? I don't see anywhere other than Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill or Challotte ever getting Wegmans anyway or maybe Greensboro Winston area and I would not say any of those are northern. Also, does Wegmans even own their land? That would be different than pretty much every other store.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:15 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,065,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
What's "Northern NC" ? I don't see anywhere other than Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill or Challotte ever getting Wegmans anyway or maybe Greensboro Winston area and I would not say any of those are northern. Also, does Wegmans even own their land? That would be different than pretty much every other store.
6-10 acres.... distribution center?

*fans Wegman's flames of promise*

Old 06-04-2014, 07:41 PM

9,122 posts, read 14,664,501 times
Well, it said 6-10 years not acres. Plus the distribution center building itself would be bigger than 10 acres probably and would need several times that for parking and access.

(Acre is 43,560 sf and distribution centers under 500,000 sf are pretty rare these days.)

Old 06-04-2014, 09:06 PM

4,537 posts, read 6,337,299 times
The place where a supermarket has a distribution center is not necessarily the same city they will place its stores. The distribution center allows them to build stores that are proximate to the center, but that could be stores that are 150 miles away from the center. Theoretically, they could build a distribution center in Richmond that services stores in the Triangle.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:32 PM

21,003 posts, read 26,990,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
6-10 acres.... distribution center?

*fans Wegman's flames of promise*
Quote:
Well, it said 6-10 years not acres. Plus the distribution center building itself would be bigger than 10 acres probably and would need several times that for parking and access.

(Acre is 43,560 sf and distribution centers under 500,000 sf are pretty rare these days.)
A good size distribution center for a supermarket is about 1,000,000 square feet. You also have to take into consideration the fleet of semi tractors and trailers based out of the location, production of dairy items, facilities for specific departments and offices. Fifty to 60 acres are typical. A distribution center will usually serve 150 to 250 stores in a specific division covering various regions or markets.

I do not see the logic why Wegman's would need another distribution center. The chain has only 83 stores in six states. They open three new stores a year. If they were growing, they would be opening 50 to 60 new stores a year. If Wegman's had over 100 stores in North Carolina, Virginia and South Carolina, then I can see the need for a distribution center.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:09 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,065,245 times
Quote:

Ahhh. I misread. Still. I love a good Wegman's rumor.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:55 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,855,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Well I don't feel compelled to reply to comments that are two years old (you just responded to my comment from 2012 btw) but have at it friend if it makes you happy!

I personally enjoy the never ending hope some have for Wegman's coming to NC. It has been discussed on this forum for over 8 years now. How inspiring!
Not sure how commenting on an older post changes the content of what you said, but okay.

It's pretty clear that people like Wegman's. If they come to NC, fantastic. If not, that's okay too.

Commenting on "somehow feeling complete" is a veiled dig at posters who long for what they believe is a superior grocery store. It's very zen of you to feel you are above having sentiment for a particular business, but many would like to see one and don't really need snide remarks. Very uninspiring.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:29 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,190,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Not sure how commenting on an older post changes the content of what you said, but okay.
It was an example of "to each their own". Sorry if you missed that. I'm not making snide remarks. Just commenting at the time in the context of what can sometimes appear to be a cult like obsession with a grocery store. It comes up often on this forum well beyond this thread to the point it has become a standing joke (in good humor).

I hope that helps.

Old 06-05-2014, 04:24 PM

43,015 posts, read 76,519,527 times
Wow.
Suddenly, I'm feeling a mite peckish.
That Wegman's mojo MUST be for real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary