Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 06:11 PM

8 posts, read 19,552 times

Advertisements

Oh my goodness how I miss my Weggies! I would shop there every day. Heck, make that twice a day. Three times on Saturdays! I'd buy all the store brands, and then insist they charge me name brand prices at the cash register. I would walk down the isles throwing $50 bills at the employees! I would stock the shelves, weed the yard, and wash the produce department floors! With a small linen! Just build one somewhere within five miles of Apex, I beg you!!!

Sorry, I may have gone just the tiniest bit overboard there. I don't think I would do all of that. But ... still ... I do really miss my Weggies.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:15 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
LOL. Me, too!

And when I visit Rochester, I find myself there with my sister or my friends at LEAST once a day -- at their request. There's always something they need. It's just an important part of their lives.

Wegmans makes it fun to shop.

I wouldn't be happy if they hopped over Raleigh to build in Charlotte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoogs View Post
Oh my goodness how I miss my Weggies! I would shop there every day. Heck, make that twice a day. Three times on Saturdays! I'd buy all the store brands, and then insist they charge me name brand prices at the cash register. I would walk down the isles throwing $50 bills at the employees! I would stock the shelves, weed the yard, and wash the produce department floors! With a small linen! Just build one somewhere within five miles of Apex, I beg you!!!

Sorry, I may have gone just the tiniest bit overboard there. I don't think I would do all of that. But ... still ... I do really miss my Weggies.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:23 PM

56 posts, read 284,949 times
I completely agree that Wegmans is on a whole different level, and I say that from a shoppers point of view and not just a former employee. My mother, the originator of this post, moved down to be closer to me a few weeks ago and is having a hard time adjusting to life without a Wegmans. I say all further comments obviously not as a sales pitch because I have nothing to gain, but rather as an informer. I worked at a store in Syracuse for over 6 years and they require a lot out of there employees to keep the customer the #1 priority. I worked all over the store throughout my time there and they make sure you are trained very thouroughly before working with customers much. My last dept. there was pharmacy and they still make you take their cooking classes in Wegmans Culinary School to learn all cooking techniques just in case you are asked a question. I absolutely loved working for them and wouldn't have left if it weren't for this relocation to Raleigh. They focus on their employees so much that during the whole "bad economy", when it began (not over), they never once considered stopping the bi-yearly raises or yearly for the well-paid positions. They do employee appreciations about 3 times a year and they go all out for them. I won a basketball hoop when I was 21 and had the Frito Lay vendor bring it to my house for me in his truck! They also sponsor a lot of charity work and fundrasers too. I learned so much there, but also learned how seriously they take putting customers first and that is something that is hard to match around here. Two story eating areas, amazing prepared food choices, huge SUBS!, fresh local produce, pharmacy with pagers for your cart or hand baskett to notify you when finished without some embarassing overhead page, the delicious bakery, variety to choose from for everything, and all of that while still maintaining very reasonable prices and keeping staff happy! You don't see that very often.

My guess is that if you aren't excited about the place, you didn't spend enough time there, or just don't appreciate the grocery store experience. It's not for everyone!

Moving on to further news: when I left the company about a year and 3 months ago they had purchased some plot in Charlotte as well as some in the Boston/MA area and unfortunately saw a better market in the New England territory first. They had told us then that they were going to push out that way with a tester store and then expand before heading more south past the VA stores. The VA stores are all relatively newer and were doing extremely well so we shall see what happens next. Facing the facts, Wegmans will never build in an area that is not on the more affluent side so with that I think that is why MA came first. Just thought I would put my 2¢'s in.

What we need down here is:
Wal-mart pricing without all of the negative effects that come with it.
Whole Foods prepared food sections and bakery.
Harris Teeter customer serivce (for the most part) and selection.
Something like that to make a makeshift Weggies for now! lol

o0o and on the e-mails like 'clever user name' says, they do read those messages and try to listen as best they can. Where is the new Whole Foods coming? My closest one is Wade Ave...booo

Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
The new Whole Foods will be in N. Raleigh off of Six Forks just south of Strickland.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:07 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trah332 View Post
What we need down here is:
Wal-mart pricing without all of the negative effects that come with it.
Whole Foods prepared food sections and bakery.
Harris Teeter customer serivce (for the most part) and selection.
Something like that to make a makeshift Weggies for now! lol
I have never received anything close to what I consider good customer service at Harris Teeter. I wander the aisles just like I would in a Kroger. That's one reason I stopped going to Harris Teeter.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:36 AM

19,711 posts, read 20,240,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
The new Whole Foods will be in N. Raleigh off of Six Forks just south of Strickland.
this is my side of town and I can't wait! It's due to be opened in March!

Old 11-13-2010, 12:36 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,383 times
Wegmans is unique beyond compare and for those who pooh-pooh it as just another place to buy food well that goes for everything in life: just another place to live, just another car to drive, just another location to vacation but we all have our favorites.....

The customer service is overthetop, the quality and selection is unmatched, and once you become a customer, you are for life....no place ever compares....

Many laugh at us in Rochester for our "gotta go to Wegmans when you're here" chant....

Then they go and it becomes very clear to them...

And once you are a "member", Wegmans becomes not just a grocery store; it is becomes a necessity..... ......it's a much appreciated addiction....

REcently, Alec Baldwin's mother was on Letterman and he asked why she hasn't left the Syracuse area I think it was and moved to California and she said she couldn't live without her Wegmans.....so you have sons that could relocate you ANYWHERE in the world and you won't go because of a grocery store? Must be good!!!!

Old 11-13-2010, 05:42 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
Aren't there are only 70 something Wegman stores?

Old 11-13-2010, 06:15 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
I am from Wegmansland too and I like Harris Tetters. I don't like Wegmans. 21th Century Americans are pretty spoiled but there was a time when excess was considered garish and tasteless, and that's the feeling I get when I go to Weggie's. Still, they have some things that I go there for.
Wegmans is good for people who don't like to cook, and think that grocery shopping should be "an experience." Their store brand isn't that bad, but theres at least a half dozen grocery stores in NC that are better then the vastly vastly overrated Wegmans. It was nice to get away from people who slobber over it, I would hate to see it pop up here

Old 11-13-2010, 06:43 PM

14 posts, read 21,373 times
Their store brand isn't that bad, but theres at least a half dozen grocery stores in NC that are better then the vastly vastly overrated Wegmans

Where? I sure as heck haven't found them. Trader Joes? Not a full service store. Whole foods? Will go for certain items but way to pricey for basics. Kroger? HA! Please, tell me what grocery stores are better than Wegmans- because I miss their selection, quality, and being able to make one stop instead of going to all of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary