Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:06 PM

125 posts, read 530,122 times

Advertisements

I am from western NY, and honestly, ive seen way more bugs inside homes in NY then i have here in Florida.. yeah widows are around here, never seen one for myself. Ive only seen a few small rat snakes here.. I have seen some darn big spiders, but always outside in the woods, and theyre harmless.

I know widows and recluses can pack a punch, but if you look it up you'll find very few fatal encounters with these spiders due to anaphylactic shock (only a few annualy from the black widow). Its kind of comparable to sharks.. how many people are swimming in the ocean at any one given time, and how many shark attacks are there in a year? Dont get too worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 02:19 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prius109 View Post
I am from western NY, and honestly, ive seen way more bugs inside homes in NY then i have here in Florida.. yeah widows are around here, never seen one for myself. Ive only seen a few small rat snakes here.. I have seen some darn big spiders, but always outside in the woods, and theyre harmless.

I know widows and recluses can pack a punch, but if you look it up you'll find very few fatal encounters with these spiders due to anaphylactic shock (only a few annualy from the black widow). Its kind of comparable to sharks.. how many people are swimming in the ocean at any one given time, and how many shark attacks are there in a year? Dont get too worried.
I agree 100%. I am around black widows everyday in crawlspaces(almost gauranteed to be one in a crawlspace) and after approximately 5,000 inspections I have yet to have been bit. I see them about 5 times a week on average....but probably dont see them much more often.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,833 times
Question snakes in crawl space!!!

Just had a Terminix guy come and inspect for termites. None so far. But he did find 9 snake skins in the crawl space but no snakes. Any advice on what to put down there to deter the snakes?

And speaking of the termite thing...Are they really bad down here and do I need to spend $1000 to get a system installed to monitor them?

Old 07-24-2007, 04:43 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel mom View Post

Just had a Terminix guy come and inspect for termites. None so far. But he did find 9 snake skins in the crawl space but no snakes. Any advice on what to put down there to deter the snakes?

And speaking of the termite thing...Are they really bad down here and do I need to spend $1000 to get a system installed to monitor them?
The first thing you need to do is lose the phone number to Terminix. They are masters of the upsell. Get a small local owned pest control company like Swift Creek or Custom Termite to take care of you. Any of the small local companies will give you superior service and knowledge. Terminix is the type of place to work if you are either A) a salesman or B) a an entry level inspector
Add Orkin and Economy to the list as well as companies to avoid. I meet a tremendous amount of termite inspectors as I am a home inspector. Terminix probably wants to put in "bait traps" which are a horrible design. They actually bait the termites towards your house! If anything, spend the money to buy bait traps for your neighbors that way the termites will avoid you completely lol.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask away and I will be more than happy to help you out. Dave Morris

Old 07-24-2007, 04:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
watch out for brown recluse they tend to hang out around wood including your lawnmower shed and I still have the scar on my hand from one of them and I was bit 15 years ago.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,709 times
To Dave Morris,
Are there a few that you would recommend? LCharles

Old 05-06-2008, 12:30 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,074 times
There are your garden variety spiders as well as your not to fool with spiders here. I have posted on other spider threads or maybe better said webs, so I will not share all my stories of the 8 legged creatures of the webs here but it will be suffice to say I don't care much for any of them, in fact they FREAK ME OUT! But I must share one story of when we were looking for our home down here and did the routine of seeing far to many homes in far to short of time. We were from one point of the triangle to the other. We came up on this house that was only a few years old but had been empty for some time and when I went to go on the porch I saw a giant web on one end of the porch. At first I though it was one of those artificial ones people put out around Halloween but it was real. Needless to say Charlotte was not in her web, TG! Anyway, after we seen this nice home from the inside, we came on the porch to chat with the Realtor about what we thought. Just then in the corner of my eye I saw Charlotte return to her web and man it was the biggest spider I seen in person and close as I ever wanted to get to one. I found out the spiders basically harmless as some people wrote threads about them but it was daunting to say the least. It would not have deterred us from buying the house if that was the house we wanted. As the saying goes no leaking roof, nor busted pipes, or spiders on the porch will deter someone from buying a home they must have! Because in the final analysis I heard its LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION anyway!!

...and that is my story of spiders in the triangle and as in webs I'm sticking to it!

Old 05-06-2008, 04:19 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
You survived the CA mudslides, earthquakes, and forest fires, so I am sure you can handle a few spiders

Old 05-06-2008, 05:31 PM

217 posts, read 554,093 times
I have arachnophobia, if I see a spider I start to cry and freak out. I saw on HGTV that if you place echinacea plants all around the outside of your house it will keep them away. Spiders don't like the smell.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:24 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,646 times
We have tons of pine straw and I've not seen many spiders in them but the crickets sure seem to be breeding under there. We also have TONS of black widows. We occasionally catch one to show the kids so they can identify them and steer clear. They usually hang where people don't frequently disturb; piles of wood, etc...but last year I almost picked one off the underside of one of my petunia flowers thinking it was a cricket. Neighbors have found them on their front porches, in their garden hose boxes, wood piles, etc. Usually not in the garage. They make a messy ugly web...one sign of them.

Ticks like pine straw as do chiggers.
Lauren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary