Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:23 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,451 times

Advertisements

My regulator is installed outside the house and hidden under a rectangular plastic cover. It was hidden behind shrubs so I didn't find it for a week or so. Pops out of the ground, regulator is attached, pops back into the ground, goes into my crawlspace. Since you're on a slab I'd assume they do the same thing but it'd pop out of the ground, then through an outside wall into your house.

I've never owned a slab but I'm guessing all the utilities except the outbound sewer enter the house through an outside wall and into a utility closet or your garage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 02:25 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
Just as an fyi:
The pressure regulator tends to be adjacent to the main water shutoff valve...probably a 1st floor hall closet. I wouldnt recommend adjusting the regulator yourself, or at least without someone standing by at the street to shut the water off there with a T-handle tool, as they are very sensitive. If something goes wrong, then suddenly the water pressure in the house can exceed the capacity of your distribution lines which could cause catastrophic failure.
The regulator drops the pressure from the city lines to what your house can handle. The city has to pump higher pressure in the mains to create adequate pressure all through the neighborhood.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:33 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Just as an fyi:
If something goes wrong, then suddenly the water pressure in the house can exceed the capacity of your distribution lines which could cause catastrophic failure.
Thank you for the heads-up. I don't like the sound of catastrophic failure . I think if the solution goes beyond me taking the shower head off to clean out any debris, I will just go ahead and use my home warrantyto get a plumber out here for the $55 bucks.

Thanks again!

Old 07-10-2007, 07:15 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,348 times
LOL that's what I was thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Thank you for the heads-up. I don't like the sound of catastrophic failure . I think if the solution goes beyond me taking the shower head off to clean out any debris, I will just go ahead and use my home warrantyto get a plumber out here for the $55 bucks.

Thanks again!

Old 07-11-2008, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,876 times
Default recommend plumber

Try T.C.R. ROOTER & PLUMBING THEY ARE THE BEST 919-467-2207

Old 01-08-2009, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 9,358 times
When I'm looking for a plumber in Raleigh, North Carolina, I refer to this site:

Raleigh Plumbers - Raleigh Plumbers, Heating and Air Raleigh (http://raleighplumbers.ning.com/ - broken link)

Old 01-08-2009, 08:58 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
the filters in the basin faucet aerator and showerhead collects debris. remove them, clean them, re-install and all fixed. if the problem is not house wide, then that is your answer. save the money and do it yourself. They screw on and off. I assume these are plumbing fixtures with heavy use?

Exactly the problem I had in one of my homes and as the author above stated it was the showehead having a lot of debris in it as the upstairs bathroom was hardly used. I also had the problem in the downstairs powder room and removed the faucet aerator and cleaned it and all work just fine now!

Think of the simple things first....start talkin about plumbing under a slab and its big $$. Remember, the pipes under the slab are usually en-casted in concrete and unless we have an earthquake those pipes are pretty darn protected and reliable.

NRG good luck and hope its as simple are stated above!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary