Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 12:40 PM

53 posts, read 124,303 times

Advertisements

I need some advice more from people with children. All my friends that live in the area don't have kids and can't really advise on it. I am moving Spring/Summer 2011 to the Durham area. I have not settled on which area exactly other than I really liked Durham/ Chapel Hill/ and Carrboro. I have an 11 year old son that will be starting middle school after we move so I need advice on schools. He is at a school now that is mostly hands-on curriculum and he is very active in sports. He is especially fond of baseball and flag football. I always sign him up for little league, but was maybe looking at travel ball when we do relocate, but don't know if the that will be really too expensive or not. Also, looking to rent in the 950 or less range for a 2 or 3 bedroom which allows pets. Would prefer a small house to an apartment setting. Hoping to find an area that kind of "crunchy" as I am a liberal, single vegetarian mom. Thanks to any advice you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 01:33 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,838,770 times
The "crunchy", Bohemian part of Durham is Ninth Street and there around the Duke campus. Neighborhoods such as Old West Durham. But, I don't know what kinds of apartments are there that are student-filled, nor what middle school districts are encompassed around there. For Durham, you'd definitely want to consider the school districts above all, particularly for a middle-schooler, since there are some great schools and some, er, not. There is also Durham School of the Arts which is ranked very high. But I don't know a tremendous amount about the schools there.

Carrboro is really the most "crunchy" part of the state, and a lot of graduate students live there so there should be a lot of rentals that aren't full of partying undergraduates. The Chapel Hill/Carrboro school system is continually ranked at the top of NC's school systems...but (as usually happens with supply and demand) it's also an expensive area. Hillsborough is another area you might look into with a strong left-leaning, environmental bent overall.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:24 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,067,556 times
Hillsborough is a nice town, but I agree with Francois. Carrboro and Chapel Hill are the real crunchy granola, let's all hold hands places. For all that is wonderful about Carrboro/Chapel Hill, I find them to be overwhelmingly white and not very diverse. Now, Durham is a great city in many ways and has a larger African American population than any other part of the Triangle. It also has a vibrant Latino community.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:11 PM

Thank you Francois and Zitsky for your input! Very helpful. Anyone else on reference to the school system as to which middle schools would you recommend in the Durham or Chapel Hill areas? Of course the new Montessori Middle really appeals but I know with the lottery system there are no guarantees. Any comment on baseball for an 11 year old in the area? He would be going into majors in our area or travel ball. Thanks!

Old 11-13-2010, 04:34 PM

915 posts, read 2,383,763 times
As a liberal, I love living in Durham. For info on Durham schools, see this website:

Strong Durham Schools

Durham really has a lot of really cool stuff going on. So do Carrborro and Chapel Hill, but since Chapel Hill is truly a college town, you are constantly surrounded by undergraduates.

As far as neighborhood in Durham, I would look to rent in Duke Park, Watts-Hillandale, Trinity Park, or Old West Durham. For a map of Durham school assignment zones, see this website:

Interactive Maps of Durham, NC USA (http://gisweb.durhamnc.gov/imap_launch.html - broken link)

Do you already have a job lined up?

Old 11-13-2010, 07:31 PM

21 posts, read 40,437 times
If you are particular about living in Durham, I would suggest the South Point area as well. But please do look out for the schools. If you will consider Wake county as well, then come on over to the Cary/Morrisville area with everything, and terrific schools.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:17 AM

Peperoberto, I do not have a job yet, but have some prospects. I do have a bachelors in El Ed and Sp. Ed, but am currently an Admin. Asst. I have a few friends that own businesses. One in Interior Design, an employee leasing company, and someone that owns a business that assist elderly with estate sales and clean outs. So I have some options. I noticed there are alot of Admin jobs out there and I currently work in a hospital/childcare setting so I have confidence that I will! I won't move without a job in place though, I simply just can't. Joemat247, thanks for your input as well! I do not want to live in Cary. I've already decided that. One of my friends lives there and she likes it, but it isn't me. Alot of the buildings look the same and alot of deed restricted areas, which is all just a turn off to me. Plus what I have heard about the stuff in the school systems right now, I just would rather stay away from. I will look at at all the areas suggested and the websites that are noted. Thanks again all! You are a friendly bunch I must say

Old 11-14-2010, 11:34 AM

222 posts, read 546,089 times
I love raising my family in Durham!

Mine aren't as old as yours, but I do plan on sending them to public schools. We made sure to be districted to Jordan High School when we were house hunting. There is another high school that is good, but it wasn't as convenient to Chapel Hill as we needed to be for work. I have had a harder time figuring out which are the better middle schools, but there are many options with the various magnets, etc. Durham has many choice schools if you don't like where you are districted.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,241 times
I moved here a few years ago from the South Florida area as well. I live in the outskirts of the Raleigh area. If you are interested in staying toward the Durham area I suggest you lok into the South Point ares. And as for your son, I know highschool may seem far away, but Word of God is a private high school that is very well known for Boy's Basketball. In Raleigh and Durham, there are various travel ball options you can look into as well.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:55 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,062,647 times
I've noticed a few people mentioning "South Point". Just so you know, the area they are referring to is in southern Durham near Southpoint Mall. There are crunchy-minded people to be found there, but it might be further from the farmers markets than you might like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary