Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 04:17 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,650 times

Advertisements

I 2nd lovebrentwood's comments. As others have stated yes there are jobs but the competition for them is fierce especially as so many IT people have had their positions offshored to India and other lower cost countries in recent years. One company that is currently recruiting is ACS, which is now a Xerox company, but mainly call center type jobs rather than Network Admin, and several posters on here have previously been critical of the work conditions at ACS.

Another factor you need to consider before moving from Florida to NC is that your husband will pay NC State income taxes here unlike Florida where there is no state income tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I have firsthand knowledge, so let me tell you: It's true, true, true! Unfortunately!

Of course there are jobs IT/Network Admin, but the chances of finding one are far, far slimmer than they've ever been. There are already an abundance of highly qualified people here, and jobs are tight.

Some people are becoming creative and exploring other careers.

One way to check out any job is to set up job alerts in Indeed.com and apply for whatever pops up. You never know.

If your husband already has a stable -- or even somewhat stable -- job there, I'll chime in with everyone else: Don't move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 05:34 PM

10 posts, read 15,250 times
I would say jobs are slim here---and 500 applicants per position on average. It takes forever to get hired and if you do get on..hold on tight.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:05 PM

9 posts, read 12,309 times
Thanks for all your advice!

Old 11-13-2010, 09:25 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
We are all aware that jobs are not as plentiful as they have been in years past.

However, if you are the type of person that seems to always find a job, perhaps you will find one here.

If you are the type of person that seems to have problems finding a job, perhaps you'll have that same issue here.

Vicki

Old 11-14-2010, 09:28 AM

24 posts, read 53,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
My husband has 12 years experience in IT Administration, with lots of management and budgetary experience. He's been looking for work since March. There are definitely jobs out there, but the competition is much more intense, and therefore it is much harder to find a job. He's been told several times that jobs posted for only a few days resulted in over 100 applications being submitted.

Of course, that doesn't mean your dh couldn't find a job. It's just important that you do the job search and secure a position BEFORE moving here. It can't hurt to send in some applications, although you might want to consider seeing if you know anyone already living in NC so that you can use an NC address on the application. Unless your dh has some in-demand specialized experience, it's doubtful you'll get any relocation expenses included, so having a local address would probably be more helpful than harmful. Good luck!!
Does anyone know if this works? My family is looking to relocate as well and have been unsuccessful in even getting calls for interviews. I've read articles and other information regarding locating jobs in other states and "experts" and/or HR professionals have warned against the practice of using someone else's address in the town/state that you want to relocate to.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:05 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
As a former HR person who once interviewed kazillions of people, I would be quite perturbed to find out the "local" applicant I thought I was inviting in was actually from another state.

I'd think they were misrepresenting themselves, and I'd wonder how else they might misrepresent themselves.

In this economic climate, I'd be more understanding and forgiving, but I'm not sure other HR people would feel the same. After all, all they have to do is go to the next person on the list -- one who did not misrepresent himself or herself.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:00 AM

24 posts, read 53,596 times
Quote:
As a former HR person who once interviewed kazillions of people, I would be quite perturbed to find out the "local" applicant I thought I was inviting in was actually from another state.

I'd think they were misrepresenting themselves, and I'd wonder how else they might misrepresent themselves.

In this economic climate, I'd be more understanding and forgiving, but I'm not sure other HR people would feel the same. After all, all they have to do is go to the next person on the list -- one who did not misrepresent himself or herself.
Thanks for the reply. What you've said is exactly what the articles were saying about why it's not a good idea to use someone else's address when applying for jobs in other states. Good to hear this from a "live" person.

Fortunately, we will have the opportunity to telework so the job issue isn't much of an issue, initially. I will possibly be teleworking full time (keeping my fingers crossed) and my husband will keep his job where we currently live (DC area) and telework about 2x per week from NC. At some point though, particularly for him, Raleigh jobs will become more of an issue.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:31 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Precisely why you never tell the HR person that you are doing it.

If you are out of work, and you have been for months and months, and you have a family to support, this is what you might have to do. But. . . . you have to be willing to pay for your own interview trips, start within 2 weeks of getting an offer, and you have to be willing to move yourself and your family to the new city on your own dime. That's the risk and the consequence.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:49 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Precisely why you never tell the HR person that you are doing it.

If you are out of work, and you have been for months and months, and you have a family to support, this is what you might have to do. But. . . . you have to be willing to pay for your own interview trips, start within 2 weeks of getting an offer, and you have to be willing to move yourself and your family to the new city on your own dime. That's the risk and the consequence.
This makes perfect sense! I know a couple of people that have family here. They used that address. Once they were interviewed, they explained that they were going to live with family until they could get the rest of their family down. It was a way of getting their foot in the door but yet, sticking to the truth. It seemed to work for a couple of them.

Vicki

Old 11-14-2010, 02:49 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
It's obvious and understood that you wouldn't "tell" the HR person. That doesn't mean he or she would not find out another way.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-14-2010 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: Deleted unnecessary comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary