Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 02:41 PM

663 posts, read 1,620,174 times

Advertisements

We are late planning our beach trip as usual. A small family of three with a toddler.

Any suggestion on hotels or 1 bedroom condos? Beach facing or easy beach access (i.e. short walk).

We were leaning more towards outer banks since the backwaters there are perhaps more kid friendly? But open to wrightsville as well as myrtle.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 02:45 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Blockade Runner in Wrightsville.

a desired time and a budget will help. I'm sure VRBO/AirBnB will wind up being quite useful.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:02 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
We stayed at a place in Wrightsville that can be rented like a hotel, but they're individual condo's with a separate bedroom, kitchenette, and all that. I can't remember the name of it.

Edit: Shell Island Resort

Old 06-20-2017, 03:20 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,531,839 times
Anywhere from Duck to Myrtle Beach would be about the same value for you. If you have teenagers Myrtle Beach is better because there is more to do. An internet search will be very productive.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:25 PM

569 posts, read 440,642 times
Look into Oak Island. They have some smaller homes and condos for rent and it is very family friendly.

I love the outer banks but many of the homes are so large it is tough to find something that works for a small family.

There are also condos in Topsail but I prefer the atmosphere of Oak Island.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:26 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
With a toddler I'd go for the Brunswick County beaches. Ocean Isle might do you — there are several sets of condos there. The beaches there are wide and gentle and at low tide there are often tide pools that form in the sand and they are absolutely perfect for toddlers to splash around in w/o mom and dad worrying about them getting knocked over by waves.

Check out the top picture on this page: https://www.capefear-nc.com/ocean-isle-beach.html

That's what the tide pools look like. They are there for 4 or 5 hours around low tide. Really fun for little kids. It's a natural phenomenon so no guarantees, but my kids sure loved them. Just don't stay at either end of the island where there are erosion problems. The north/east end is worse. The west end it's mostly just right near the end. We usually stay with friends in a condo not far from The Isles and the beach is very wide there.

Sunset Beach is also great, but they don't have any ocean front condos. I don't know if Holden Beach does or not.

IMO, the Brunswick County beaches are much nicer for little people than the OBX and I'm going to the OBX in July. I like it there, too, but for a toddler OIB would be my recommendation.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:02 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
We stayed at a place in Wrightsville that can be rented like a hotel, but they're individual condo's with a separate bedroom, kitchenette, and all that. I can't remember the name of it.

Edit: Shell Island Resort
no No NO NONONONO

Unless you get very lucky with the unit you rent it will be miserable. That place, in general, is filthy (and I'm not that picky but when I'm on vacation I don't want filthy). Add in clueless staff and management that doesn't care and questionable billing practices...you can do better. If you go to Wrightsville you're better off in Holiday Inn ( we are trying Blockade Runner this year so no report yet). Also they just built a suites hotel in Carolina Beach (it's a Hilton hotel, I think it's a Hampton Inn and Suites).

But I would take poppy dog's advice and stay where you can get tidal pools to deal with.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:48 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Look at Hilton Head

Old 06-20-2017, 07:14 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,947,134 times
I used to rent a condo down at Garden City south of Myrtle Beach. It was away from the busyness of Myrtle Beach but still a short drive away to Myrtle Beach and other places like Murrells Inlet, Brookgreen Gardens, Huntington Beach State Park. But that was 20+ years ago, don't know how much it's changed since then. I had an 8 year old stepdaughter back then and there was plenty to do in the area to keep her from getting bored.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:26 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
no No NO NONONONO

Unless you get very lucky with the unit you rent it will be miserable. That place, in general, is filthy (and I'm not that picky but when I'm on vacation I don't want filthy). Add in clueless staff and management that doesn't care and questionable billing practices...you can do better. If you go to Wrightsville you're better off in Holiday Inn ( we are trying Blockade Runner this year so no report yet). Also they just built a suites hotel in Carolina Beach (it's a Hilton hotel, I think it's a Hampton Inn and Suites).

But I would take poppy dog's advice and stay where you can get tidal pools to deal with.
I guess we got lucky. We went once, it was fine - not fancy but it was clean. I wouldn't go back, but only because I'm not a fan of Wrightsville. They did have a nice little Tiki Bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary