Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:39 AM

79 posts, read 354,851 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow forumers,

I'd like to get some thoughts on the I-540 extension, and how it might impact western wake county.

What do you think it will do to real estate in that area? Will it cause an increase, or decrease? Will there be no impact to real estate costs?

What are your thoughts about how it will impact growth to the local economy in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 11:18 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,854,678 times
Just look at what has happened in north Raleigh in the past 12 years since I-540 started arcing across the northern parts of Raleigh and Wake County.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:32 AM

43,030 posts, read 76,539,610 times
The clarity offered by completion of the highway and ability to easier gauge its impact will give many people more comfort to buy in the area.
Whether that will qualify as rapid growth is up for grabs.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:41 AM

15 posts, read 14,758 times
Hello fellow forumers,

I'd like to get some thoughts on the I-540 extension, and how it might impact western wake county.

What do you think it will do to real estate in that area? Will it cause an increase, or decrease? Will there be no impact to real estate costs?

What are your thoughts about how it will impact growth to the local economy in that area?

^^^^^^^^ If your house is under or up against the extension your value may decrease. If your house is 1 to 3 miles away your value may increase. There is already a lot of growth happening and I can only assume easier access to the west will only increase that growth. I am in Fapex (the most eastern part of 27539) and the extension may be as close as 1 to 1.5 miles away. That may increase the value which means I may pay more in taxes. I don't see that as a benefit.

Old 11-14-2010, 12:32 PM

481 posts, read 1,082,710 times
I hope it will for me I will be about a mile from 540 off Kelly Rd. We don't plan to move but at least in 10 years it will have gone up some to help when I do look to sell. I feel for the homes where it will be in their backyard. The noise and vibration will be annoying.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:32 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,855,730 times
Towns like Apex, Holly Springs and Fuquay Varina will flourish with the 540 extension. it will make the commute to RTP so much quicker and easier as bottlenecks are eliminated from the current journey. As a consequence more development will inevitably take place there to meet the demand. It will be interesting how the City Managers at Fuquay and Holly Springs respond to the growth as their current infrastructure is inadequate. Real estate prices most likely will increase as the area becomes more popular with the better transportation. That's what usually happens when either a new highway or rail route is built.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:02 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,088,409 times
Now, if we could only build a Metro like DC.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:39 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,725,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
Towns like Apex, Holly Springs and Fuquay Varina will flourish with the 540 extension. it will make the commute to RTP so much quicker and easier as bottlenecks are eliminated from the current journey. As a consequence more development will inevitably take place there to meet the demand. It will be interesting how the City Managers at Fuquay and Holly Springs respond to the growth as their current infrastructure is inadequate. Real estate prices most likely will increase as the area becomes more popular with the better transportation. That's what usually happens when either a new highway or rail route is built.
... and then it will cost the same amount of money (adjusted for inflation) to live X commuting minutes away from RTP as it does now, as developers take advantage of the highway to sprawl further out and create more and more residences near its route. Commuters living closer will have a speedier route for a while, until the population follows the highway and the new road clogs up.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:45 AM

3,368 posts, read 7,729,083 times
The rapid growth has been coming to Western Wake for some time. Developers have been buying up and planning for years. Some of this was because of the planned route of 540 (and please note that it is NC-540, not I-540 in this neck of the woods now), but much was just natural because the land was close to RTP and was the only place to grow for towns like Cary and Apex, which have both been growing for years. If things had stalled with 540, most of the development would have happened anyway. IMO.

It is going to be very interesting to see how many people end up using the toll roads around here. A big change to the area.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:13 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,854,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
It is going to be very interesting to see how many people end up using the toll roads around here.
All the cars with Blue Ridge Parkway license plates. (The toll cameras apparently can't read them.)

Tags and tolls - Editorials - NewsObserver.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary