Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 06:28 PM

7 posts, read 13,783 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving from boston to Raleigh in January and I want to ship my car. Does anyone have any advice on the best and cheapest way to do so? The other thing to keep in mind is my car is kinda a beater...Its not worth much so i am thinking of selling it and buying something for the time being down there. I am trying to avoid the second senario only because it is a bad situation to be in a new place with no car and then trying to find a new one and also do all the registration and paperwork. errr, so overwhelming! Please HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 07:14 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,980,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksayswhat View Post
I am planning on moving from boston to Raleigh in January and I want to ship my car. Does anyone have any advice on the best and cheapest way to do so? The other thing to keep in mind is my car is kinda a beater...Its not worth much so i am thinking of selling it and buying something for the time being down there. I am trying to avoid the second senario only because it is a bad situation to be in a new place with no car and then trying to find a new one and also do all the registration and paperwork. errr, so overwhelming! Please HELP!
You could try a driveaway company that matches tourists with cars, not sure how much they charge -
Autodriveaway Vehicle Transportation Offices

Or you could try and find someone yourself -
boston rideshare classifieds - craigslist

If you looking to put it on a truck, that's going to be really expensive.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:35 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,809,872 times
It will probably cost more to ship the car than it's worth based on your description. You could always rent a car for a day or two while you shop for another car once you get here.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:29 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,980,346 times
Any reason you can't drive it down yourself? You can always tow it behind a U-Haul truck!

Old 11-15-2010, 08:32 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,337,465 times
Define "cheap". what are you looking to spend?

Old 11-15-2010, 04:07 PM

3 posts, read 30,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksayswhat View Post
FYI ..... Going Rate For Shiping By Truck Is around $500 Dollars (mid size single unit) from boston, mass to raleigh. Like anything, prices change with time due to fuel and load availability.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-15-2010 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: Please review the Terms of Service -- members with fewer than 10 posts may not make recommendations.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:33 PM

677 posts, read 1,898,746 times
I heard Clark Howard talking about this on his radio show (but unfortunately don't remember what he said). You could probably google his website and see if he has a link to info about the subject.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:08 AM

4,000 posts, read 10,811,896 times
I used Dependable Auto Shippers on a couple cars I bought from out of state. One was in Cleveland and it cost about $550. I would guesstimate the cost would be similar from Boston.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:21 AM

276 posts, read 646,459 times
When I moved from LA to Durham a couple years ago, I spent $1200 to ship my car. I was NOT happy with the experience. After I had already verified what day for them to pick up my car, they called and said they had to come 3 days earlier than planned, or I would have to wait an extra week. So I let them take my car early, leaving me in a bind for a couple days. They also claimed "door-to-door delivery," but then they said they were unable to drive into my neighborhood in Durham and that we would have to meet them a mile away, at night, at a grocery store. AND they would only take cash, even though we were told on the phone that they would accept credit. So overall, I was super displeased. I really wish I could remember the name of the company who shipped my car!

Old 11-16-2010, 10:26 AM

4,296 posts, read 5,952,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I used Dependable Auto Shippers on a couple cars I bought from out of state. One was in Cleveland and it cost about $550. I would guesstimate the cost would be similar from Boston.
We also used DAS to ship from San Francisco to here back in early 2009. I think it was around $750 including damage insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary