Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 08:58 PM

39 posts, read 99,479 times

Advertisements

Our almost-two year old girl has a mop of curly hair that needs to be cut, and we wouldn't know what to do with it ourselves. Have heard about Peekado in Durham. Anyone have any comments on that place, or have any other recommendations for a kid-friendly place for a girl's haircut?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 09:20 PM

222 posts, read 544,172 times
I've taken our kids to Peekado. It's ok. It's a bit pricey, so now that my daughter is mature enough to sit still, I'm taking her to a regular salon. My toddler, though, is something else, and I've been taking him for all his cuts there. I like that he is kept busy and distracted from the task at hand. His hands are occupied with a little steering wheel of a car or whatever vehicle his seat is shaped like, and his eyes are glued on Elmo playing on a little personal TV. He would never sit still enough to let anything be done to him like that otherwise. Sometimes I question the cleanliness of the place, but the stylists are patient and friendly. Once my son is old enough to bear through the agony of staying still, we'll probably go somewhere else.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:14 AM

371 posts, read 1,215,995 times
I take my son to Great Clips - of course, they do a crappy job

Old 11-17-2010, 10:28 PM

2,904 posts, read 5,902,312 times
My Great Clips guy is AWESOME. Been going to him for years. He SHOULD be working at a fancy place but isn't. He only works 1.5 days a week (has a regular day job that keeps him busy the rest of the time - I think haircutting is more of a passion/hobby than breadwinning job for him).

This past weekend we took our 21 month old with very long, very curly hair to him. First, I went. Then, to my shock and surprise, my wife finally decided to let him have a go at her hair (she usually goes to Mitchell's, which requires handing over your first born's college fund for each cut), and then finally my daughter went. Everyone's hair came out looking incredible. I gave him a huge tip (still waaaaaaay less total bill for all three of us than for my wife's prior person alone) and we all left happy. My wife is still talking about it and says she isn't going back to Mitchell's now. Woohoo!

His name is Michael and he works at the Great Clips in Wakefield. I think Wed. night and usually all day Sat. Normally you'll find most of the others taking walk-ins while Michael has a long line of people waiting specifically for him. Geez, don't everyone rush out and start requesting him or my waits will be REALLY long in the future!

Old 11-22-2010, 10:07 AM

39 posts, read 99,479 times
Update: We decided to go to Peekado. Wasn't thrilled with it. The place is nice and the idea of making it kid-friendly, with little cars they can sit in during the haircut with screens to watch, is a good one, but I wasn't overly impressed with the job they did cutting my daughter's hair for $20. When I called Sunday morning, they told me they had an opening at 3pm, and when I got there, the place was pretty much empty. There was one boy getting his hair cut when we got there, and when we left there was no one else there. I think we'll look for something else next time.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:19 PM

34 posts, read 47,982 times
We've had pretty good experience with Snipits in Apex too - another kid-focused, kid-friendly haircut place. That being said, now that he sits relatively still, we found a great stylist at our local Great Clips and enjoy lesser-priced haircuts since his grows crazy fast.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:56 PM

96 posts, read 189,513 times
ditto peekadoo.

was just there for the first official haircut for my 17-month-old boy. pricey, but thought it best to do 'right' the first time.

place was empty. 'stylist' was great...he never really knew she was there, got to help sweep up afterwards. pretty happy with the outcome even.

no regrets about doing it once, but not sure we'll go back either. just too $$$.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:18 PM

3,368 posts, read 7,729,804 times
Appears that SnipIts in Apex is no longer there.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:33 PM

18 posts, read 74,876 times
We called Snip-Its in Brier Creek but were put off by the rudeness of whoever was answering phones.

I ended up taking my toddler to the same place I go, Famous Hair in Alexander Promenade near 540/70 intersection. I had been going there for years for my cuts and was very happy with the service. I asked my regular stylist how she does with children's hair -- her reply was "I have probably cut more child's hair than adults."

I am taking him his 3rd haircut this weekend. I think it is $11 or so. He is still a little squirmy so I put on a smock, keep him on my lap, and lean back to stay out of the way. She does a great job though and I trust all the stylists there but if you stop in you can always ask to see who is available and is the most comfortable with children.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,209 times
Do you get your child shampooed when they go for a haircut? How do they react? I freaked out when I was a kid!!! The sounds of the water and all the rubbing freaked me out. Now I realize I had a sensitivity issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary