Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 07:51 PM

133 posts, read 451,496 times

Advertisements

I wanted to go but didn't make it, and I probably won't be able to make the other meetings.
I'm just wondering what types of things were discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:09 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,080,726 times
No, but I'll be going Thursday to the one at Cary High.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:15 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,058,918 times
Gah! I can't go to the one at Cary as I have a girl scout meeting that night. Please update us!

Old 11-16-2010, 06:22 AM

477 posts, read 1,416,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK in NC View Post
I wanted to go but didn't make it, and I probably won't be able to make the other meetings.
I'm just wondering what types of things were discussed.
I attended the community workshop at Millbrook High School last night. I was there for a specific assignment issue, but I will try to give you a brief overview of the format and what transpired.

As we registered (or signed in, if preregistered), we were assigned to one of four classrooms for small group discussions. There were approximately 15 participants and 3 WCPSS employess in our room; one from Growth and Planning that served as a facilitator, one from Growth and Planning that served as scribe, and another gentleman that answered questions. (I'm not sure which department he was from.) We were each given an agenda of topics with a time frame to cover these topics. In addition, our packet included data on all of the schools involved in the discussions.

Here is a very brief overview of the topics covered:

Background on student assignment

Assignment changes for 2011-12 (3rd year of 3 year plan):
Walnut Creek Elementary (and other ES assignment changes)
Middle School base assignment changes
High School base assignment changes
Traditional calendar application changes

Schools with projected crowding of 112% or more for 2011-12

Other concerns from the group (this was open to any assignment question)

Assignment rubric (this is what the BOE will use to assess whether or not to keep assignment changes)

Our facilitator was excellent and did a great job of explaining the assignment changes for 2011-12 and keeping the discussion on track. In our room, several participants were there for specific assignment issues, while a few others had more global concerns. My neighbor and I also felt like our concerns were heard and will be considered when the assignment plan is considered. We shall see.

If you have a specific concern about the 3rd year of the 3 year plan, I would HIGHLY recommend attending. However, if you are looking for answers about what the BOE is going to do, they can't answer that. For that, you will have to attend the BOE meetings.

I hope that this helps. BTW, I liked this format. I would never have spoken at one of the large meetings held in an auditorium, but I had no problem voicing my opinion and speaking out in a more intimate setting. I also learned a little about other parts of the county. Nobody left during the 2 hour meeting and everyone was very respectful, unlike the larger meetings that I have experienced.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:19 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,058,918 times
Nice. I wish I could go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary