Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:24 PM

4 posts, read 17,796 times

Advertisements

I work in downtown Cary. Close to Kildaire and Walnut. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 06:38 PM

Thank you for all the responses. I am still concerned about the plant though, since this house backs up to the protected land that is on the property of the plant.

Has anybody had any issues with safety? It seems like a safe neighborhood but I guess you can never be too sure! :-) Thank you!!!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:53 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I sold a home that backed up to the plant. My client wanted that home since there were no homes behind it. At that time, the Park At West Lake was ZOOMING up in price. I was concerned about the plant but it had no problems, at that time. I discussed my concerns with my client but she wanted that house.

A year later, the plant had issues with smells. It was cleared up but it took a while and during that time, some of the prices of the homes that backed up to that plant, went down in price.

I know Funky Chicken lives in The Park At West Lake and I love that neighborhood. I have since had 2 more buyers in that n'hood but neither of them back to the plant.

I'd be a bit concerned if I was that close to the plant. If I had to have that house, I'd make sure I paid a bit less for it because others may see that plant as a negative.

I don't think it has ever had any safety issues. And there are many other water treatment plants around.

Vicki

Old 11-18-2010, 12:37 PM

294 posts, read 829,352 times
it's a safe neighborhood with the only concern being an occasional escape of Mr. Hankey from the poo plant. I kid.

as one of the first folks in TPaWL (2005), I can attest to the water treatment plant issues being almost 100% remedied. I think I know the house you're talking about and it's a steal....as are many of the houses in The Woodlands....I'd go after that great deal! It's a great investment....

Old 11-18-2010, 05:13 PM

The community sounds perfect and seems like it is a very safe area (other than Mr. Hankey!). But I think we are going to pass on the house we have been looking at due to the fact that it backs up directly to the plant. It seems like it is the closest house to the plant and I just think that would hurt the resale value of the home. So I guess we'll keep looking around the area. Let me know if anybody hears of a great deal in the neighborhood! =)

Thank you so very much!!!!!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,982 times
I have friends that live there and can not wait to get out very fake people it really very clicky and everyone trying to up each other! The prices are tumbling there and now Lennar is selling homes in the low 2s.It had its day when people did not think but the sewage plant is a big deal and there are still issues , so stop kidding yourself. Just wait if one of those tankers that zoom by all day loaded with sewage ever crashes, that will make it a ghost town.Good luck but be careful there.It is risky.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:54 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cake Lady View Post

I have friends that live there and can not wait to get out very fake people it really very clicky and everyone trying to up each other!

I don't hear any clicking in the neighborhood. Oh-you mean "cliquey"?

The prices are tumbling there

The last 5 closings in the Woodlands netted the following for the sellers-
$30,000 loss
$37,000 loss
$20,000 profit
$10,000 loss
A new construction home that sold at a $19,000 reduction from its asking price and brought $144.52 per square foot-that's $19 per square foot ABOVE the average for all of the neighborhoods within the development.
Are the numbers great? No. Show me a similarly priced neighborhood with better numbers.

and now Lennar is selling homes in the low 2s.

Lennar is selling homes in the low 200s in the Commons area. Smaller homes on smaller lots. That section's price point ALWAYS started in the low 200s-the difference is that Lennar is building a home that in NO WAY compares with the quality of the other builders in the neighborhood. Standrd Pacific Homes is also beginning to build homes in the Commons.

Reality is that the neighborhood needs to build out one way or another. It's not an ideal scenario but the current economy can't really be described as ideal either.

The Woodlands section is a separate entity that is completely built out with the exception of ONE building lot out of 190.

It had its day when people did not think but the sewage plant is a big deal and there are still issues , so stop kidding yourself. Just wait if one of those tankers that zoom by all day loaded with sewage ever crashes, that will make it a ghost town.Good luck but be careful there.It is risky.

"tankers that zoom by all day"?
Really?
West Lake Road is the main entrance to TWO schools. It is patrolled HEAVILY by Cary Police a good portion of the day to protect the children who walk to those schools. Tankers do NOT zoom by all day. I have lived in the neighborhood for 3 years and can count on ONE HAND the number of times I have seen a tanker truck.
I hope your future posts are more accurate and not so full of hearsay and rhetoric.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:07 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I hope your future posts are more accurate and not so full of hearsay and rhetoric.
Seems like "The Cake Lady" may be hitting the rum cake a little too much

Old 11-20-2010, 06:48 AM

133 posts, read 331,380 times
I've been watching this thread and have to reply based on Cake Lady's response that is irresponsible and lacks an incredible amount of periods. Anyway, I also live in the Park at West Lake and have been in my house now for about 2 1/2 years. This is my take on some of the topics:

- YES, this is Cary!: It is amazning to me that people that actually live in this neighborhood don't know that they live within the the town of Cary. The Apex mailing address can be confusing but like someone said, the town of Cary takes care of all the services and does a great job serving the neighborhood.

- Commute: Coming from the north, I still chuckle at what people here call a commute. I've worked in both RTP and in central to north Cary and find both easily accessible. Soon, the 540 extension will be completed and accessed in Holly Springs; really connecting this area to RTP and beyond. Furthermore, the NEXT extension planned will bring 540 even closer with access points close but not too close to West Lake. (the DOT just removed the proposed 540 route that took 540 very close to West Lake)

- The water treatment plant: I actually forgot that the plant is there until I read something about it on this site every once in a while. In 2 1/2 years, I have never even had a neighbor mention it nor have there been any problems. Now, my house doesn't back up to it and I suppose I wouldn't want it "in my backyard" but it wouldn't be because of problems, like smells or trucks....it would be because I wouldn't want my yard to back up to a big plant. Saying that, 99% of the neighborhood does not and cannot see the plant from the lots so this issue really comes down to a few homes in one section in one corner of the neighborhood.

- "Clicky"?: There are definately some clicks but nothing that would ever, ever drive me out of the neighborhood. "Clicks" might be too strong of a word actually. Like any subdivision in the area, neighbors become friends and those friends hang out in backyard, in garages, their kids play together, etc. The large number of stay at home Moms tend to gravitate to one another but based on the various sections of the neighborhood, there is a great mix of families, empty nesters and younger couples without kids and everyone seems to get along for the most part.

- Access to schools: 2 elementary schools, a middle school, a high school and a preschool (Primrose) all within walking distance to many of the homes in the neighborhood. This is actually one of the reasons we moved to West Lake. The schools add some life to an otherwise quiet area. Friday night FB games at Middle Creek, kids playing outside at Primrose, kids walking to school, organized sports at Middle Creek Park, frisbee golf at same park...lots of good, healthy activity that results from the presence of those schools. (Also a town of Cary community center adjacent to the high school)

- Access to stores/restaurants: 3 new Harris Teaters have opened up within the past 2 years and at least 5 restaurants that I can think of within those same areas; whether that be close by in Holly Springs or near the Kildaire/Ten-Ten area. The growth of the area is drawing businesses to the area no doubt. Besides, Apex center is 15 minutes away and as someone said, the Crossroads and adjacent areas are 20 min away.

- HOA: The HOA here can be a real pain in the neck. I do find them to be abbrasive and power hungry and I have neighbor who have had some real run-ins with certain people on the board over ridiculous issues. Saying that, they have done a nice job maintaining the landscaping and the pool plus there are various neighborhood activities throughout the year such as Santa's visit and family Xmas party, etc.

- Home Values - This is a tough one for me. I'm far from an expert on home valuation but considering the economy; is anyone? The construction of new homes here has never really stopped in the 2 1/2 years I've been in my house and those homes tend to have "sold" signs hammered in the ground very quickly. I'm am concerned about Lennar's impact on the entire neighborhood but so far, the homes they are building seem to fit nicely within the rest of the neighborhood and my concern is less than it was 9 months ago.

Overall, I find this is a great place to live and find the comments from someone who doesn't even live here to be an insult.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:22 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times
I'd like to give a little input on the HOA in TPAWL.
One of the biggest issues that the HOA faces is that the bar was set really low and arguably TOO low when the original HOA fees were set. They have been forced to raise the HOA dues from a level that was totally inadequate to support maintaining a neighborhood with the size and amenities of TPAWL to a level that gets the job done properly and is still in line with other neighborhoods in the area. This has met with some resistance from homeowners, but people need to be reasonable. You can't pay less than half what homeowners in other similarly priced neighborhoods pay and expect the same level of appearance and amenities the other neighborhoods have.
The HOA fees also include the use of two pools-many other neighborhoods charge a lower "base" HOA fee but make up for it with pool membership fees that run a homeowner's total expense way up to FAR above Park At West Lake homeowners'.
They have also battled with homeowners in the Commons section whose dues are higher due to the fact that lawn maintenance is included for that section and therefore Commons homeowners are required to pay more than other sections.
I have ZERO sympathy for the people who bought in that section and then got mad about their higher dues after the fact. If you didn't ask the question before you signed the contract it is your fault or your agent's-it's not mine.
If I could get someone to maintain my 1/3 acre lot for what the HOA charges you for your lawn maintenance I'd take that deal in a heartbeat.
The HOA has done a very good job of improving neighborhood appearance over the last 18 months and is continuing to try to stay ahead of pool and common area maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary